Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting & Sewing Tips >

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 AM

put a piece of 1/4 inch elastic on your little hand scissors and put around your neck. you will never loose your scissors again and you always have them with you.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I read this tip in a quilting magazine.....not sure which one! When threading a needle, do NOT dampen the thread, "spit" on the needle eye instead. If you use enough spit, the thread will slip right on thru as though the needle is sucking it in!!!! It REALLY works!
Yes it really does work! It also works to "spit" on your finger and hold it behind the eye of the needle in your sewing machine and it sucks the thread right through the eye....LOL! It's great!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum
When your hand soap is too small and thin to use as soap it is a great marking tool on darker fabrics. No worry that it won't wash out either
I do this all the time. It blows my students minds when I show them the soap trick.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was hemming my hubby bib overalls. I used the rotary cutter and mat to cut them off by 3 inches was so much faster than using scissors.

Also while hemming them on machine I broke 2 needles. I was trying to figure out what I could use to store the broken needles until I got them to the trash.

I found this plastic needle case and works great to store in the sewing machine drawer.

Enjoy!
You are so smart my birthday twin.....hugs.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSew66
When manually threading a needle, place something "white" behind the needle. It could be an index card or anything white. The eye of the needle is much easier to see.
I tried your trick just the other day and WOW sew much easier, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by theresse
I Wished I had know about the Jeans Last month ago. I back stitch just before the thick seam and after it -no stitch for about a 1/2 inch my pressser foot just wont go over it. I hope to remember it the next time i hem jeans Theresse
Did I miss the tip for sewing over jean seams?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM

I hope to see more sewing tips! I have copied and pasted in my file to refer to. Please post more everyone!!

JOY
Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I read this tip in a quilting magazine.....not sure which one! When threading a needle, do NOT dampen the thread, "spit" on the needle eye instead. If you use enough spit, the thread will slip right on thru as though the needle is sucking it in!!!! It REALLY works!
Yes it really does work! It also works to "spit" on your finger and hold it behind the eye of the needle in your sewing machine and it sucks the thread right through the eye....LOL! It's great!
I use both of these tricks. In fact (and I know it is possibly dangerous) when hand quilting, I tend to just hold my needle in my mouth while cutting new length of thread, thread slides right into the needle. Sometimes though it helps to turn around the needle. I've noticed on the ones I'm using right now, there seems to be an indention on one side of the eye, but not on the other.

Another tip for the hand quilters/sewers that no one has brought up yet. When pulling thread off spool and threading needle. Make sure you thread from the loose end and tie off on the end that you just cut from the spool. Will very rarely tangle when using if you do this.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 AM

They have a plastic case at wal-mart that has 24 "tic tac" type boxes in it. I can store almost all my needles in there by size. It's great.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 AM

All those tiny bits of fabric that I would have thrown away I was told to keep and use for stuffing great idea. Since I go through a bed pillow about every 4 to 6 months. I'm really hard on pillows.