Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting & Sewing Tips >

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
There are plastic cases intended for storing Matchbox cars and they have twenty one spaces on each side so you can store 42 large spools of thread in each case. The last one cost about $5.00 at WalMart. The last time I was there looking for them they did not have them in stock. Check the toy departments for them.
I keep my embroidery thread in these. They are in the toy department, when they have them.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 AM

A piece of that rubbery shelf lining from walmart will help keep your foot petal in place and your sewing machine too.

I use the cores of toilet paper to wind binding/borders on to keep them neat. Then I just put the roller on a peg board hook when I'm ready to sew and it rolls off as I use it. (the peg board is at a 90 degree angle from where I'm sewing and is behind me)

I use graph paper to design my patterns.

Maybe more later, right now I have to get ready for church.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Regarding the breaking of needles while hemming jeans, etc. It is important to keep the pressure foot level. In my tools box, there is a item referred to as a "hump jumer". Each end has a different thickness. When approaching the seam and the toes of the pressure foot at leaning upward, slip ther jumper under the rear of the foot thus leveling the foot; carefully take a few stitches; then move the jumper to the front of the toes when they drop downward and carefully stitch past the seam. If you don't have a jumper, use a ruler.

Hope this helps to avoid those broken needles. Suzanne
Oh i can't wait to try your tip, sounds like a good one, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 AM

bumping this up! The hint for the foot pedal where you use it backwards REALLY works! thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 AM

Here's a tip for when you get "small" amounts of blood on your quilts or fabric. Your saliva will get your blood out of fabric. But it won't work for your neighbors/friends blood!! lol Of course, if you bleed alot, then try peroxide. lol Another quick way to thread your needle is to remove the foot first. It gives you more room to get that thread into the needle. I take a plastic grocery bag and tape it to my table, close to my sewing machine (I have a vinyl tablecloth on my table!) and I put all my scraps and thread snips in there (instead of on the floor, where I would have to stop and clean it up.. eventually!! )

Oh, yeah, I use a 3 x 5 card for each quilt I make and I put the name of the quilt at the top and the name of the person I'm making it for, what size it is, i.e., queen, lap, etc. below that I write the start date, leave a space put the "top" date, leave a space and put the "Finished" date, as we all know we don't always "finish" a quilt right away!! Below that, I put a piece of each of the fabrics that I used in that quilt. Then I go ahead and cut out the binding, sew it together, and press, and put into a large jar with the name of the quilt pinned on it, so when I DO finally finish that quilt, I have binding that will match. It looks really pretty in the jar, along with all the other bindings that I've made and set aside. I'm on my second jar (Wal-Mart has them and they're square in shape with a screw-on lid). Hope this helps someone!!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I lay a folded towel on my ironing board to press blocks after completing the block. The seams go flat.
thank you, did not know this one.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I'll add another one.
Baseball Card Protector Sheets! They are a good/heavy weight of vinyl pockets made in one sheet, divided into 9 sections.

What I do with them is place snippets of my project fabrics inside and leave it in my purse at all times. When ever I happen to stop by a quilting store I have it to refer to. The protector sheets are easy to fold up and fit in a side pocket of my purse.

P.S. Margie, thank you again for the hemming trick! Used it successfully on 4 pair for DH. :)

Here's a picture of one of my Baseball Card Sheets...
Great idea.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I read this tip in a quilting magazine.....not sure which one! When threading a needle, do NOT dampen the thread, "spit" on the needle eye instead. If you use enough spit, the thread will slip right on thru as though the needle is sucking it in!!!! It REALLY works!
Sorry, I just had a visual of me trying to stick my tongue on the sewing machine needle and DH walking in thinking I must have finally lost my mind. tee hee
I almost spit out my drink when I read this! That same visual popped into my head and I just found it hilarious.
lol, it sounds funny, but does work.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 AM

I log on a calendar when I start and finish quilts and quilt tops.

I take photos of my quilts and put them in journals with my patterns and notes. Perhaps after I'm dead and gone someone will find my quilt journals interesting.

When cutting blocks for an entire quilt, I cut a few more than what I need then if I sew one together wrong I just set it aside for a pillow top instead of ripping it out and starting over. Or, sometimes I just lay the extras aside and when I get enough, I just make a scrappy quilt with them.

I keep a clothes rack in my sewing room. It has UFO blocks
in pants hangers on it. It keeps them flat and from getting lost in the shuffle. I also hang and keep the finishing fabric for each set of blocks right with them so that I don't use it for something else.

I'm trying (unsuccessfully at times) to limit my time on this board so that I'll more time to quilt. LOL
Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Google Goddess

lots of tips

http://www.blockcentral.com/tips.shtml