Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting & Sewing Tips >

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Quilting & Sewing Tips

Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 AM

I use a left over cigar holder to store my bent pins and needles,they are large enough to last a long time. If you don't know someone who smokes go by a cigar shop they always have extra.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 AM

If your iron gets a buildup of starch on it, run your iron over a soppy wet towel. Works best when cold but will also work hot, just rub longer and harder.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSew66
When manually threading a needle, place something "white" behind the needle. It could be an index card or anything white. The eye of the needle is much easier to see.
Can also slip the tip of your other finger behind the "eye" and it'll also be ready to grab the thread. I was delighted to find that the hand sewing needle threaders with the wire that goes thru the eye also work a treat for machines!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Google Goddess

do you have any other tips to share with us?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

When I need a third hand for binding my quilt I use clothpins to keep the binding in place so I can pin it in place. I keep an empty Kleenex box next to my machine to discard thread snip its. I use the foam shelf liner to keep my machine from vibrating and moving around, And between my cutting table and mat from sliding. I keep used downy sheets in my fabric drawers for a wonderful fresh clean scent. I use my hubbys old lanyards from his conferences and attach them to my notions so I don't misplace them at class. Plus keeps my scissors close at hand. Ziplock bags in all sizes are great for storing and writing on when working on multiple projects. An over the door clear pocket shoe holder makes a great behind the door storage area for lots of items; extra blades, thread, anything you could possibly think or need to keep handy
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 AM

I use bamboo skewers for a stilleto. They work great. Also keep an old mouse pad beside my machine to hold pins, tweezers, whatever. They don't end up on the floor this way.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM

I use bamboo skewers too but I put one in an old ink pen case. That makes it more comfortable to use. I use a bar of soap as a pin cushion to make the pins slide in better.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81687.jpe  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by MrsSew66
When manually threading a needle, place something "white" behind the needle. It could be an index card or anything white. The eye of the needle is much easier to see.
Can also slip the tip of your other finger behind the "eye" and it'll also be ready to grab the thread. I was delighted to find that the hand sewing needle threaders with the wire that goes thru the eye also work a treat for machines!
I keep a pair of tweezers next to my machine to grab the thread after I get the thread in the eye of the needle, works better then fingers.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I use bamboo skewers for a stilleto. They work great. Also keep an old mouse pad beside my machine to hold pins, tweezers, whatever. They don't end up on the floor this way.
I have an old, small knitting needle that I was able to clip in half for a stiletto. Did have a tiny rubber "foot" thing to put over the cut end but it fell off. Still my favorite tool!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Google Goddess

cute idea save the cardboard from the charm packs and make your own fussy cut window templates

http://cutiepinwheel.blogspot.com/20...discovery.html