Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Software Guidance Needed >

Quilting Software Guidance Needed

Quilting Software Guidance Needed

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm looking for recommendations on Quilting Software you have used and like.

On a wish list, something that I can scan fabrics into and create my own patterns. The ability to do patterns in multiple sizes would be nice as well as if the program can calculate estimated fabric needed based on pattern.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM

I have all of those features available to me in EQ7, which I recently purchased and am having a ton of fun with. It's probably the best known quilt software and it isn't cheap, but its functionality and support really can't be beat. If you post on the board, you can also find it for a few bucks cheaper than advertised price on most sites.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

EQ5 has these capabilities as well. So if you can't afford the newest EQ7 version, try finding a less-expensive EQ5
Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm probably not the best person to listen to because I've turned into an absolute EQ addict. :oops:

I don't think you can beat it for features, customer service and price. If you never want to outgrow your quilt design software, I think EQ is the way to go.

It gives you so much help in quilt planning, with yardage requirements and layout options and choosing fabrics.

Then when you start assembling, it helps you with templates and rotary cutting charts and even foundation paper patterns. You can plan borders, quilting and embroidery motifs, applique, even photo blocks. If the stock designs aren't exactly right, you can edit them or create your own from scratch. It recognizes one of the embroidery formats so that you can visualize the designs on the quilt. If you like to do applique over pieced, you can plan it all here. Really unbelieveable. :)

But EQ might be overkill for some people - for instance, if all you want it to do are the things you mentioned, it might be a bit much. Or if you hate computer stuff and you just want to figure out how the blocks look together in the colors you want, EQ is probably just going to be frustrating to you. (It's frustrating to me, and I love the program! ;) )

I came across 1-2-3 Quilt when I was trying to help someone else find a program that does what you want it to do. I think if I had found this program before EQ, it might have worked out very well for me. Scan your own fabrics, try different borders, mix blocks, calculate yardage, etc. Check out the features list here:

http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=12...t_feature_list

It has a try before you buy function and if you like it, it's only $40.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM

I first bought the Jenny Haskins Perfect quilt express - not a bad program but lacked some of the things I wanted - so I too have turned into an EQ supporter. I have EQ6 and love it - but am thinking about upgrading to EQ7. I have had two hard drive crashes and am on my last "install" of 6 - by the time I pay the price of more installs I might as well purchase EQ7 upgrade.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM

There is nothing out there that compares to the EQ series of software. Eq7 is the latest.

Lanny
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM

I totally agree with all of the above comments! EQ7 is amazing and although I've had it since it was released, there are still features and capabilites I haven't used. EQ5 is great too! You could start with that and then if you like it, upgrade later. Good luck and have fun.