Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
36 patch tutorial or guidance needed.... >

36 patch tutorial or guidance needed....

36 patch tutorial or guidance needed....

Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 PM

Default 36 patch tutorial or guidance needed....

OK, I feel foolish for asking because it seems to me that this should be easier....

I can do a 9 patch without batting an eye lash. But I want to do a series of 36 patch blocks, two colors each. I have tried, and tried. I have searched YouTube for a tutorial. I seem to be having a mental block of some sort, and can not figure out how to do it.

My end result would ideally be 12.5 inch blocks (for a finished 12 inch block). I think 2.5 inch strips would be the starting point, but then what? How many alternating strips in each strip set? Or are the strip sets all the same, just reversing alternate rows after cutting into smaller strips? How long should each strip set be, to make the best use of the fabric?

Could someone give me a step by step set of directions? If I can get just one block done, I am sure this mental issue will disintegrate. I have already wasted too much fabric, and am so frustrated.

Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM

I'd look at directions for a triple/double irish chain because they often have great strip quilting tips since they have patch blocks. If you are only doing 2 colors, I would strip piece A/B/A/B/A/B and then the second one would be B/A/B/A/B/A...OR you could just do A/B and then cut but that is more piecing after the cut. I think you would get better seam placement by sewing the six strips first before cutting...you just have to be very careful with your 1/4 inch seam and your pressing to not stretch your strips!

eta: here are the directions for the Triple IC from quilterscache: http://quilterscache.com/T/TripleIrishChainBlock.html Check out page two of the instructions to see how she does a large patch.

Last edited by luvspaper; 04-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM

I would do it the same way luvspaper described. Each 36 patch block would be made from a 6 strip unit (3 strips of each of the two colors alternating). After sewing the six WOF strips together, cross-cut that 6-strip unit into 12 1/2" squares (you will get 3 per 6-strip unit). This is what I did for my triple irish chain quilt, and it worked great--sure beats trying to sew individual 2 1/2" squares together!!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Gay

I would cut 3 strips of 2 1/2" from both fabrics, sew together in alternating colours. Then cross-cut into 2 1/2" units, you will have say red on one end and white on the other. Join these units, every 2nd row will start with a white square, and the 1st and alternate rows will begin with the red. You will have a 12 1/2" block.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

www.podunkpretties.blogspot.ca has step by step instructions for sewing lots of little squares together for her posy quilt top she's working on. It is posted below the Lone Star she's working on.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM

I think I am seeing how this should work. And it does sound simple, and logical. I was doing strip sets of 3 stripes, and then combining them, badly. And the seams were clashing on the back, and just all sorts of disasters....

Strip sets of 6...of course! (NOW that seems obvious.) I need more sleep. Thank you everyone!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Wait, another question...on the strip sets, do I iron the seams toward the dark, or should I iron them all one way? (I want to be able to nest the seams.) I think I was ironing them all the same way and it worked at first, and then did not...but I don't remember now why.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM

I personally would iron towards the dark....they should nest if I am thinking of it correctly...
Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 PM

Another option is to make a bunch of four patches, and then make nine patches from the four patches.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 AM

I can't vouch for these sites or tutorials since I just found them with Google, but they look like they could be helpful.

http://www.badlandsquilts.com/2012/0...uded-tube.html

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...tch-block.html