Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting software question >

Quilting software question

Quilting software question

Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Default Quilting software question

I have been considering buying some quilting software but have a few question I was hopping you ladies could answer for me. I know if EQ are their other options on the market or it that basically it?

I often have ideas for what I want to make but would love to have a program that could "make to math" fit my ideas. Like I have a room divider that I need to make fabric panels for and well just a piece of fabric is a bit boring a got my creative juices flowing. I want to do themed panels for the different seasons. And have a cool back to school idea. I want to do "crayons" across the bottom and maybe do aplique "Back to school" on the top. Oh the ideas....

So this lead me to wondering if a program exists that I could enter the Finished dimensions into and then basically draw lines to make what I wanted and have it tell me what size to cut to pieces. I also want to be able to place words on the pattern and then get a print out of them at the size that would work on the finished product.

Thanks so much.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 PM

EQ7 isn't quite that easy, but they do have some quilt outlines that can choose and you can start with, adjust sizes, etc. It also has a block library that you can choose blocks to use in the quilt, enlarge them or modify them, and some applique patterns, but I don't do applique, so can't tell you how useful it is. I haven't used any other quilting software.

EQ does have a less expensive version of the software, but I haven't used it. Can't tell you what functions it contains vs what EQ7 has.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM

There is quiltpro which cost a lot less but has good features. I haven't used either.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:19 AM

There are free quilting software programs that you might look into. My DD & I used one called Quilt Assistant once. She was better at figuring it out than I was but she has a younger "techie" mind. Just do a web search on "free quilting software programs" & you will see several to pick from.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:55 AM

I have one called Quilt Wizard (I think) Many years ago I had EQ on a previous computer so it's gone now. While I love what everyone has done with them, and I know there are tutorials on here, I still can not get it to work. The last time I tried, I was working with the placement of different size blocks and rows. I could only find it to work for the exact same size blocks. I want soooo badly to design my own but get so frustrated. I may do that search to find the free ones.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Quilt Wizard from EQ is very limited. There is EQ Mini that is a very good basic program.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:14 PM

Cindy, if you have trouble with "techie" stuff, why not try the basic graph paper and colored pencils? I've found that you can do a lot of designing that way and it's cheap and easy.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 PM

I do all of my pattern designing on Microsoft Publisher. This new version (2016) has a great drawing tool, that I can draw my applique pieces with. I can combine my photos with words and diagrams, and put them anywhere I want.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 AM

I just want a free program to design blocks! I've tried drawing on Word and Excel but its much easier and faster to use pencil and graph paper!