Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting stitch advice >

Quilting stitch advice

Quilting stitch advice

Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 AM

You have some wonderful advice here. I just had to comment and tell you how much I love your quilt. I love the design and colors. Be sure to post when you're done.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM

The first question you should ask yourself is how far apart does my quilting have to be according to batting manufactures recommecdations. This should be listed on the packaging. I personally do not like the quilting to dteract for the piecing. So in this case I would bo SID on the print blocks and meandering or stippling in the solid blocks. The pattern the has been suggested would also look nice if you are willing to try it. Show us the finished quilt!!!!

PS- Really like the quilt pattern and colors. What is the pattern?.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

It looks like you have already bound your quilt as well, you may want to quilt very slowly to allow the feed dogs to really do their job of moving the top & bottom fabrics all through at the same time. Normally you would quilt first as the quilt sandwich may shift some as you are quilting and cause a pucker near your binding.
It's a beautiful quilt, and looks like the disappearing 4 patch design, I really like the sample quilting you did, and would leave it just like that, rather than put in the diagonal going in the other direction as well.
I would also do the diagonal stitching through the whole quilt, not just an X in the squares as you will need to stop & start alot if you do each individual square separately. JMHO
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 AM

Your quilt is very pretty!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I like those curved lines a lot. I would figure out a way to work across the entire length or width of the quilt doing this. This is typically what machine quilters do to minimize stops and starts, and to keep stops and starts at the edge of the quilt. There is no need to work one block at a time.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Thank you all so much for your compliments and advice.

It's the disappearing 4 patch I saw it on the Missouri star quilt company YouTube channel. I really regret taking it on as my first quilt as lining up those seams was so important and there's a lot of cutting but for a first time it turned out ok. I have really learnt the importance of matching seams and accurate cutting.

I haven't done the binding yet, it's draped over my ironing board pinned waiting for me.

Do I start with the flowers or the diagonal?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM

First off, I like the quilt and you did a fabulous job matching the points. The sample block you did with the arches suggests you are in good control of the quilt and could maybe follow a drawn pattern.

Since the quilt has a lot of white, white should be used as the color of the batting. Laying it over any other color will show the seam allowances.

Since the "sashing" is fairly narrow, I'd stitch in the ditch. Now for the large blocks. The white reads as large blocks and could have a pattern inside them. There are lots of block patterns in books. Mark the white before making the sandwich. The arches woud look good for the smaller colored squares.

Having said all this, my favorite is FMQ.

It's advise, but it's your quilt.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chloemartin View Post
Do I start with the flowers or the diagonal?
It really doesn't matter. I would simply figure out the easiest way to work from one side to the other.

'm not sure how you plan to address the small squares. What I would probably do is start on one side and do all of the curves for one part of the block all the way across (for example, in the illustration, line #3). Maybe I would do SID in the small blocks in order to "travel" to the next block. It will take many passes to complete all the diagonals in all the blocks, going from side to side (and top to bottom). I would do the same for the flowers -- just one side of the petal at a time.

Hope this is more clear than mud!

Last edited by Prism99; 08-27-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM

I get exactly what u mean but I can't find a way. I've done all the diagonals and one curved shape. Going to take some time to think about how I can keep it all in as few starts and finishes as possible.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous!!