Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting stitch advice >

Quilting stitch advice

Quilting stitch advice

Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Quilting stitch advice

I hope my picture attaches. I just finished this quilt and it's all pinned ready for quilting but I can't figure out which pattern I should quilt with and where to start.

Do I start from the centre and work my way out? If I stitch in the ditch or 1/4 inch away from the ditch how do I work, one square at a time, do I do an entire line top to bottom I'm not really sure where to start.

I was thinking of trying stippling but I just can't get the tension right and I'm not consistant enough with my speed to do it just yet. After trying the free motion I think the walking foot will be the way to go.

I really appreciate any advice. I know the quilting can make or break a quilt and I don't want to ruin all my hard work.
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

For this type of quilt I would never start in the center -- too many threads to tie off and hide after you are done! What I would do is start in the *middle* of a side edge and work to the other edge, then start in the *middle* of the top edge and work to the bottom edge. That way you have a big X in the quilt adding stability.

Have you layered the quilt yet? If not, I strongly recommend heavily starching the backing before layering. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution on the backing with a large wall painting brush, wait a few minutes to be sure the fibers have absorbed the starch, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. Starching adds a lot of stability to the backing fabric so it is much less likely to stretch or distort or pucker while you are quilting. I would also spray starch the top to add stability.

Edit: I see that you have already layered the quilt. You can still add stability by laying the quilt out on a large flat sheet and adding several layers of spray starch to each side. (A fan speeds drying between spray starch layers.) This helps even if you are using a walking foot. If you stretch the fabric while sewing, you will find that you will get puckers when you cross a quilting line. Starching helps prevent those puckers where lines cross.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt!.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM

I love your quilt! Sorry I do not think I am qualified to give advice on quilting. There are Many quilters on the board that are always happy to help.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 PM

I'm so scared of quilting it. The more I think about it the more nervous I get.

Last edited by chloemartin; 08-26-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: bumped enter
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM

Beautiful quilt and lovely straight lines ideal for walking foot. In the white squares you could do a flower shape and get away with the walking foot. A gentle curve diagonally across and back.gentle curve from corner to corner then another diagonal and curves all round the square.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 AM

Would the flower take up the entire white square? I like that idea, maybe then a diagonal through the coloured squares.

Thank you all. I got some spray starch but ill have to do it tomorrow as it is too cold here now to do it, I'm in australia.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Pin it fairly heavy and to a line through the squares, making Xs. That would be the easiest and fastest. It will look good too. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Sorry I know I'm asking a million questions but would I just do an X in the square or would it end up being diagonals across the entire quilt? Also do I outline the the or is the flower enough. I did a parties tonight and found it really easy to do. My friend who quilts thought I did it free motion. I didn't do the other diagonal as its a small square and I didn't do it in the right order but that's my very first go.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 AM

Beautiful quilt. I love the layout.