Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting string quilts >

quilting string quilts

quilting string quilts

Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I do mine on muslin also, and when I put them together for the top I press my seams open.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Jemma - A string quilt is made using leftover strips - originally, the odd shaped and uneven strips left from garment sewing.

To mackandblues - not sure if the quilting is visible in this pic, but I just quilted over the strings as if they were any other patchwork (straight line quilting in concentric diamonds). I used a fusible cotton batting (and that will probably be the only fusible batting I ever use) and a pieced cotton backing. The turquoise on front is flannel, however, and between that and the fusible batting and what is for me heavy quilting, the quilt is a little stiff, which is okay, since it was sort of intended as a floor quilt for kids to play on.

Butterflyblue, I love your star string quilt...it is beautiful. Did you create this pattern yourself or did you use an available pattern? I have tried looking for it but haven't been successful and thought maybe you might have created it yourself?

I have never been to fond of the string quilts but yours really speaks to me. Your quilting is also beautiful and really makes the star pop out. Any info you could pass on to me would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
I thank you all too..I am doing a string quilt and wasn't sure how to put it all together..I am going so see if I can save this so when its time, the instructions will be there for me to see :-D
Hey Diana Lynne. This board is really nice. Did you know that you can set up bookmarks right here? Go to the top of the page, right under that advertisment that nobody reads and there are 3 tabs to the left. One of them is 'bookmark', you can click it and a bookmark gets added to your profile. You can even give it a name that makes sense to you. This way, you can keep all your quilting board bookmarks together so you can find them again!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Thank you so very much..I just now bookmarked it..The people on the board are indeed very nice and I really have learned alot just by reading what they are saying..

Hey Diana Lynne. This board is really nice. Did you know that you can set up bookmarks right here? Go to the top of the page, right under that advertisment that nobody reads and there are 3 tabs to the left. One of them is 'bookmark', you can click it and a bookmark gets added to your profile. You can even give it a name that makes sense to you. This way, you can keep all your quilting board bookmarks together so you can find them again!!![/quote]