Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting string quilts

quilting string quilts

how do you quilt a foundation pieced string quilt?
    I know you add a backing but how do you quilt it

Since it is done on a foundation, I would tie it. This is just my opinion. Did you try to google string quilts and see how those were quilted? The ones I've made are so heavy because of all the seams and foundations that I decided just to tie them.

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who makes 3 or 4 string quilts every year- she brings them to me & I quilt something swirly all over it generally- sometimes it has a definite pattern or color theme & we choose something special- but mostly something 'curvy' . she generally uses a warm & natural batting & a plain backing so I quilt it to look nice on the back- since the quilting mostly disappears on the top- but you can see the swirls. we usually choose a medium gray thread (or something that works with the backing-since there are so many colors on the top.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You can tie or machine quilt. I would use a lightweight batting because of the foundation, or even no batting if you feel the quilt will be too heavy. It would be very difficult to hand quilt through all those layers.

I usually machine quilt mine using a simple design.

I usually do an over-all design like meander or swirls or something. I don't like tied tops at all, just my opinion.

I have made string quilts, and I use Warm and White or Warm and Natural. Quilting is kept simple, some meandering with a design thrown in now and then. Quilting is good for securing the strings down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne10 View Post
    how do you quilt a foundation pieced string quilt?
    I know you add a backing but how do you quilt it
    I make my string quilts on paper foundation. I get the scrap books from the Dollar Store that have the news print paper. It is easy to tear away. But maybe you have a reason for using a different foundation. Would be interesting to know.

Blog Entries
    I also do it this way and its not heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    I have made string quilts, and I use Warm and White or Warm and Natural. Quilting is kept simple, some meandering with a design thrown in now and then. Quilting is good for securing the strings down.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I live in Fla. I use muslin foundations.
    I think I will try a little all over quilting by sewing machine as these will
    go to Project Linus,

Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
    I make my string quilts on paper foundation. I get the scrap books from the Dollar Store that have the news print paper. It is easy to tear away. But maybe you have a reason for using a different foundation. Would be interesting to know.
    I use paper foundation too. I use phone book pages, but they are limited to 8". I have to make a trip to the Dollar Store to look at the scrap books.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

I quilted a table runner and topper using a method that I saw on youtube posted by AngiesQuilting. She is a member of a yahoo group that I'm on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgX4Ld_lFw8
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I SID, sometimes I meander. Just depends on the size of the quilt and my mood. Also, what the quilt tells me it needs. Really..... Go with your gut. You can't go wrong. Usually....

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne10 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Since I live in Fla. I use muslin foundations.
    I think I will try a little all over quilting by sewing machine as these will
    go to Project Linus,
    What does the living in Florida have to do with using muslin vs. paper for foundation......

I'm now quilting my 3rd string quilt with foundation. I have a quilting machine so that makes it much easier for. I also use a robotic system so again easier for me. I was worried about how to quilt the spiderweb block as it had all those seams coming together in the center so I found a pattern that would go around it instead of through it. The half blocks were no problem going through. I'm working on the diamond scrappy string right now and its a breeze to go through as I remembered not to add small strips at the ends so they wouldn't bunch up.

Someone mentioned tying which is a good alternative too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I just STD on my string quilts with foundations, worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
    I use paper foundation too. I use phone book pages, but they are limited to 8". I have to make a trip to the Dollar Store to look at the scrap books.
    Check with your local newspaper, you can usually buy partial rolls of paper for a dollar or two. They can't use the rolls but you can usually get a lifetime supply of the stuff on one roll. If you have children to entertain it is nice to unroll a big length and have them do a mural on the floor, or have them lay down on the paper and you trace around them, then they can color in the details.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Blog Entries
    When I string piece on muslin foundation I don't use batting just backing which makes three layers. I stitch in ditch or if I have sashing I just meander down & across between blocks.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
    I use muslin or thin cotton as a foundation. The foundation stablizes the grain as it can go any which way in a string quilt. It also adds extra warmth and stability. Then I use a batting and backing. I tie some, line quilt some, and fmq machine quilt some. For fmq machine quilting, I often use an allover design, but sometimes I get creative and use other designs. One design I have consistently liked is a straight-line (with walking foot) that follows the lines of the pieces, assuming they are diagonal. Decorative stitches can also work well, depending on the quilt. Usually for a string quilt, the simpler decorative stitches work well, including a zig zag, which also reinforces the seams.
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 08-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.