Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting string quilts >

quilting string quilts

quilting string quilts

Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM

So I've got a string quilt in process and I've been thinking about how to quilt it. I've only quilted one quilt before - by hand and I did outline quilting because I really like to emphasize the piecing. So how have y'all quilted your string quilts? Thanks!
Sarah
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Sarah,
This is something I wondered also. But figured it out easily.
I took and put flannel on the back of it, no batting.
1.right sides together,
2. sew all the way around leaving a hole to turn the quilt
3. get it nice and flat again (sew up hole) around the edges, pin, and I also pinned in the middle.
4, sew around 1/2 inch from the edge of the quilt
5. the middle of the quilt (I have a long arm) I sewed a circle right around the seams to hold the quilt and flannel together.
It is a wonderful quilt to sleep under the weight of all that fabric is a great feeling.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 AM

I use warm and natural batting and a cotton backing fabric...tried flannel once and it was too heavy!!..then just do a big meander free motion stitch all over the quilt. I try to stay away from the bulky seams where 2 blocks are joined and just stay in those open areas. Have fun....string quilts are the BEST

jodi in leavenworth
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM

I thank you all too..I am doing a string quilt and wasn't sure how to put it all together..I am going so see if I can save this so when its time, the instructions will be there for me to see :-D
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM

ok i have to ask what is a string quilt
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Jemma - A string quilt is made using leftover strips - originally, the odd shaped and uneven strips left from garment sewing.

To mackandblues - not sure if the quilting is visible in this pic, but I just quilted over the strings as if they were any other patchwork (straight line quilting in concentric diamonds). I used a fusible cotton batting (and that will probably be the only fusible batting I ever use) and a pieced cotton backing. The turquoise on front is flannel, however, and between that and the fusible batting and what is for me heavy quilting, the quilt is a little stiff, which is okay, since it was sort of intended as a floor quilt for kids to play on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167327.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm in love with string quilts - they are perfect for when you need to scratch that sewing itch but don't want to think about "perfect piecing". I can whip together a block really quickly.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Just thought to add - but I sewed my strings onto a paper base and remove it before sewing the top together, so there wasn't the added thickness from sewing on a fabric foundation.

I like string quilts for the same reason, mackandblues, no careful matching of seams, just sew and go! Also, I like to get rid of all the many, many scraps I have.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm sewing mine on a muslin foundation. I am planning on putting it on my bed and I love heavy, comforter type of blankets to sleep under. Very cozy :)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Jemma - A string quilt is made using leftover strips - originally, the odd shaped and uneven strips left from garment sewing.

To mackandblues - not sure if the quilting is visible in this pic, but I just quilted over the strings as if they were any other patchwork (straight line quilting in concentric diamonds). I used a fusible cotton batting (and that will probably be the only fusible batting I ever use) and a pieced cotton backing. The turquoise on front is flannel, however, and between that and the fusible batting and what is for me heavy quilting, the quilt is a little stiff, which is okay, since it was sort of intended as a floor quilt for kids to play on.
That's pretty! Thanks for sharing!