Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting string quilts

So I've got a string quilt in process and I've been thinking about how to quilt it. I've only quilted one quilt before - by hand and I did outline quilting because I really like to emphasize the piecing. So how have y'all quilted your string quilts? Thanks!
    Sarah

Sarah,
    This is something I wondered also. But figured it out easily.
    I took and put flannel on the back of it, no batting.
    1.right sides together,
    2. sew all the way around leaving a hole to turn the quilt
    3. get it nice and flat again (sew up hole) around the edges, pin, and I also pinned in the middle.
    4, sew around 1/2 inch from the edge of the quilt
    5. the middle of the quilt (I have a long arm) I sewed a circle right around the seams to hold the quilt and flannel together.
    It is a wonderful quilt to sleep under the weight of all that fabric is a great feeling.

I use warm and natural batting and a cotton backing fabric...tried flannel once and it was too heavy!!..then just do a big meander free motion stitch all over the quilt. I try to stay away from the bulky seams where 2 blocks are joined and just stay in those open areas. Have fun....string quilts are the BEST

jodi in leavenworth

Blog Entries
    I thank you all too..I am doing a string quilt and wasn't sure how to put it all together..I am going so see if I can save this so when its time, the instructions will be there for me to see :-D

ok i have to ask what is a string quilt

Jemma - A string quilt is made using leftover strips - originally, the odd shaped and uneven strips left from garment sewing.

To mackandblues - not sure if the quilting is visible in this pic, but I just quilted over the strings as if they were any other patchwork (straight line quilting in concentric diamonds). I used a fusible cotton batting (and that will probably be the only fusible batting I ever use) and a pieced cotton backing. The turquoise on front is flannel, however, and between that and the fusible batting and what is for me heavy quilting, the quilt is a little stiff, which is okay, since it was sort of intended as a floor quilt for kids to play on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm in love with string quilts - they are perfect for when you need to scratch that sewing itch but don't want to think about "perfect piecing". I can whip together a block really quickly.

Just thought to add - but I sewed my strings onto a paper base and remove it before sewing the top together, so there wasn't the added thickness from sewing on a fabric foundation.

I like string quilts for the same reason, mackandblues, no careful matching of seams, just sew and go! Also, I like to get rid of all the many, many scraps I have.

I'm sewing mine on a muslin foundation. I am planning on putting it on my bed and I love heavy, comforter type of blankets to sleep under. Very cozy :)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Jemma - A string quilt is made using leftover strips - originally, the odd shaped and uneven strips left from garment sewing.

To mackandblues - not sure if the quilting is visible in this pic, but I just quilted over the strings as if they were any other patchwork (straight line quilting in concentric diamonds). I used a fusible cotton batting (and that will probably be the only fusible batting I ever use) and a pieced cotton backing. The turquoise on front is flannel, however, and between that and the fusible batting and what is for me heavy quilting, the quilt is a little stiff, which is okay, since it was sort of intended as a floor quilt for kids to play on.
    That's pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    I do mine on muslin also, and when I put them together for the top I press my seams open.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue

Butterflyblue, I love your star string quilt...it is beautiful. Did you create this pattern yourself or did you use an available pattern? I have tried looking for it but haven't been successful and thought maybe you might have created it yourself?

I have never been to fond of the string quilts but yours really speaks to me. Your quilting is also beautiful and really makes the star pop out. Any info you could pass on to me would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    I thank you all too..I am doing a string quilt and wasn't sure how to put it all together..I am going so see if I can save this so when its time, the instructions will be there for me to see :-D
    Hey Diana Lynne. This board is really nice. Did you know that you can set up bookmarks right here? Go to the top of the page, right under that advertisment that nobody reads and there are 3 tabs to the left. One of them is 'bookmark', you can click it and a bookmark gets added to your profile. You can even give it a name that makes sense to you. This way, you can keep all your quilting board bookmarks together so you can find them again!!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you so very much..I just now bookmarked it..The people on the board are indeed very nice and I really have learned alot just by reading what they are saying..

Hey Diana Lynne. This board is really nice. Did you know that you can set up bookmarks right here? Go to the top of the page, right under that advertisment that nobody reads and there are 3 tabs to the left. One of them is 'bookmark', you can click it and a bookmark gets added to your profile. You can even give it a name that makes sense to you. This way, you can keep all your quilting board bookmarks together so you can find them again!!![/quote]