Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting string quilts >

quilting string quilts

quilting string quilts

Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
I make my string quilts on paper foundation. I get the scrap books from the Dollar Store that have the news print paper. It is easy to tear away. But maybe you have a reason for using a different foundation. Would be interesting to know.
I use paper foundation too. I use phone book pages, but they are limited to 8". I have to make a trip to the Dollar Store to look at the scrap books.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 AM

I quilted a table runner and topper using a method that I saw on youtube posted by AngiesQuilting. She is a member of a yahoo group that I'm on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgX4Ld_lFw8
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM

Sometimes I SID, sometimes I meander. Just depends on the size of the quilt and my mood. Also, what the quilt tells me it needs. Really..... Go with your gut. You can't go wrong. Usually....
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dianne10 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I live in Fla. I use muslin foundations.
I think I will try a little all over quilting by sewing machine as these will
go to Project Linus,
What does the living in Florida have to do with using muslin vs. paper for foundation......
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 AM

I'm now quilting my 3rd string quilt with foundation. I have a quilting machine so that makes it much easier for. I also use a robotic system so again easier for me. I was worried about how to quilt the spiderweb block as it had all those seams coming together in the center so I found a pattern that would go around it instead of through it. The half blocks were no problem going through. I'm working on the diamond scrappy string right now and its a breeze to go through as I remembered not to add small strips at the ends so they wouldn't bunch up.

Someone mentioned tying which is a good alternative too.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM

I just STD on my string quilts with foundations, worked great for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
I use paper foundation too. I use phone book pages, but they are limited to 8". I have to make a trip to the Dollar Store to look at the scrap books.
Check with your local newspaper, you can usually buy partial rolls of paper for a dollar or two. They can't use the rolls but you can usually get a lifetime supply of the stuff on one roll. If you have children to entertain it is nice to unroll a big length and have them do a mural on the floor, or have them lay down on the paper and you trace around them, then they can color in the details.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 AM

When I string piece on muslin foundation I don't use batting just backing which makes three layers. I stitch in ditch or if I have sashing I just meander down & across between blocks.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
I make my string quilts on paper foundation. I get the scrap books from the Dollar Store that have the news print paper. It is easy to tear away. But maybe you have a reason for using a different foundation. Would be interesting to know.
I use muslin or thin cotton as a foundation. The foundation stablizes the grain as it can go any which way in a string quilt. It also adds extra warmth and stability. Then I use a batting and backing. I tie some, line quilt some, and fmq machine quilt some. For fmq machine quilting, I often use an allover design, but sometimes I get creative and use other designs. One design I have consistently liked is a straight-line (with walking foot) that follows the lines of the pieces, assuming they are diagonal. Decorative stitches can also work well, depending on the quilt. Usually for a string quilt, the simpler decorative stitches work well, including a zig zag, which also reinforces the seams.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 08-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.