Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Thread Colors >

Quilting Thread Colors

Quilting Thread Colors

Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm going to check out JoAnn's tomorrow I think. I live about 15 minutes from their corporate headquarters store and they have a pretty big selection as compared to other stores. If not, I found a couple online, but I'd have to wait for shipping on those. I'm impatient!! Lol.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
I'm going to check out JoAnn's tomorrow I think. I live about 15 minutes from their corporate headquarters store and they have a pretty big selection as compared to other stores. If not, I found a couple online, but I'd have to wait for shipping on those. I'm impatient!! Lol.
Just make sure you don't buy RAYON variegated thread. . . It is not strong enough to quilt with and will break easily. Get a cotton or a poly or a blend
Old 06-01-2014, 05:04 AM

I recommend Bottom Line for the bobbin.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM

I use YLI veriegated quilting thread. They have a beautiful red, white, & blue. I buy it at my LQS.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions

I ran to JoAnns and got some variegated red/white/blue Coats and Clark quilting thread. I know it's not premium thread, but I hope it'll work ok. Even was able to use a coupon on it!

While I was there, I grabbed some batting for the Craftsy Mystery Quilt I'm doing (50% off) and a can of June Taylor basting spray (used a coupon). All-In-all, not a bad shopping trip
Old 06-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions

I ran to JoAnns and got some variegated red/white/blue Coats and Clark quilting thread. I know it's not premium thread, but I hope it'll work ok. Even was able to use a coupon on it!

While I was there, I grabbed some batting for the Craftsy Mystery Quilt I'm doing (50% off) and a can of June Taylor basting spray (used a coupon). All-In-all, not a bad shopping trip

No need to apologize about buying and using Coats & Clark thread. It is primarily what I use. My mother used it for her garment making and my Great Aunt Ruth (my quilting muse!) used it for all of her quilt making. She passed away 20 years ago at the ripe old age of 93 and those quilts are still going strong!!!! Fabrics are thinning but her seams are still intact! Brand of thread is always a matter of personal choice.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM

The only problem I've found with Coats and Clark thread is it's linty. You may have to clean your machine more frequently using this.
If you have a walking foot, a large corner to corner gentle wave following the line of the piecing and then mirrored would work on this quilt.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:33 PM

I believe YLI has an online store. I like their variegated thread. I have also used Coats cotton variegated and like it.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 AM

You mentioned that you don't have any quilting thread. If you are machine quilting you don't need quilting thread. All purpose thread is fine. Quilting thread is used for hand quilting.

If you use one color on the top and another on the bottom do a test piece first to check your tension. When top and bottom thread is the same color it all blends together and so if your tension is off a little it doesn't show. If you're using black on the bottom and another color on the top the black might show through on the top if the tension isn't right.

If you're stitching in the ditch the stitching isn't going to show much if any so color isn't that important. The back will show however so more attention needs to be paid to that. How much do you want your quilting to show? If you do then use a contrasting thread. If not use matching to the fabric.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 AM

Such wonderful suggestions on this posting this morning. I love that our quilters are so willing to share their expertise and experiences. I learned a lot even though most of the things I've already gone through by hook or crook. Sometimes that is a bad thing, and takes a few days to get over.