Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting thread in Janome machines >

Quilting thread in Janome machines

Quilting thread in Janome machines

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I do have trouble using King Tut thread in my machine. It was that thread because I have not had the same problem with other brands. The King Tut formed a little lint ball/knot before the needle and ended up breaking the needle and scaring me half to death. If I use it again (sometimes to get a certain colour) I will try it with a larger eye needle. My machine does work better with certain threads but I can sew with any of them.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM

I have a 4900 and can not use the Silky or some of the better quilt threads, my machine locks up and I have a hard time setting the tension. Can't afford a new one so I am limited to the thread that works like Connecting Threads.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM

I have a 6600p and I use all kinds of thread in the machine it works fine. I am contemplating purchasing a Janome 11000. I wish I had purchased it as I will not need the 660P:. I got a price from where I purchased my 6600P for 3,500 for the 11000P On ebay they are 4-5,000. This is a new machine from my dealer in NH.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

i have a Janome MC4800 and have never had trouble. Clarks cotton thread, Essentials or Sulky threads. i think i've used some machine quilting threads but dont' have much of that. just hand quilting thread.
if you can, trade up but try out the machine first with your thread you want to use!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. Strange, isn't it, how machines vary? I asked the question because the dealer seemed to be suggesting that people are damaging their machines by using these thicker threads. But knowing the quality of Superior threads, I find it hard to believe that they would label a thread as machine quilting thread if it wasn't suitable for that purpose on most machines. In an earlier conversation with the same dealer, he more or less said I should use fine thread. Janome themselves implied the same thing: their customer service department recommended Robison Anson embroidery threads for quilting. It's certainly easier to keep the very temperamental tension on this machine correct if I use those or similar. But I don't always want to be that limited - and now, as I've described in another thread on here, my machine is having problems with Masterpiece as well, which definitely isn't thick!
I'm going to post my question on the Janome forum and see if I get any responses there.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM

hmmmmm...funny that they recommendrd the Robison-Anton embroidery thread. I rec'vd a spool of this in error from an on-line oder and while it is beautiful thread, I have had nothing but problems with it in my Janome 6600P. It comes off of the spool the wrong direction, so I tried turning it upside down, the thread unwraps and tangles around the spool holder. My dealer told me to bypass the top threading loop and that helped some. I also read on the internet about someone loading the bobbin backwards, and that seemed to help. I had started a quilt with it and had to finish it, so I struggled through, but never again.

My machine just loves the Aurifil, any weight, it just works, so I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM

I use all sorts of thread. But I have a sewist521. Ihope you find one that works better for.you.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I have a 6600 and the only problems I have had involve slight adjustments with tension. In my experience,when a dealer blames the thread they are blowing hot air up your skirt. My guess is that there's a small issue with your discs...perhaps a small bit of lint causing trouble. I believe somewhere on this site (or on the Yahoo Janome boards) people mentioned this same issue and offered a solution to try. There is also a helpful board on the Janome site itself where people post about problems, etc.. Good luck.

BTW, I have used YLI in my machine and it worked great. Something odd is afoot.

Last edited by Ladyjanedoe; 01-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

I have a Jamone 9000 and 10000 and have used King Tut in both with no problems.
Do you just have the tension too tight?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do have trouble using King Tut thread in my machine. It was that thread because I have not had the same problem with other brands. The King Tut formed a little lint ball/knot before the needle and ended up breaking the needle and scaring me half to death. If I use it again (sometimes to get a certain colour) I will try it with a larger eye needle. My machine does work better with certain threads but I can sew with any of them.
I do think that it says right on the end of the spool to use a Topstitch 90/14 for this thread. Try that needle, it's what I use and have no problems.