Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting threads >

Quilting threads

Quilting threads

Old 04-10-2021, 08:51 AM

I like glide, isacord, and superior so fine r omni. If you like cotton I love king tut from superior.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of different brands of machines. I haven't noticed one not liking one thread over another. I tell the machines what I told my kids: I don't care if you like it or not, its what you have so deal with it. LOL
Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 AM

What I have discovered for the majority of my machines is GLIDE. It comes in a great range of colors and is a perfect weight for everything from my FW to my Brothers 1500se. and even my 1905 Singer treadle. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Hello IceBlossom ... I am another 820 lover-hater. Your bobbin addition is an interesting twist that I just may give a try. Another way I have worked through things is by threading from spool through hole in the plastic next to the right of it. (See photo in link below.) Then upwards to the thread guide. Then over to the machine.

You might try repositioning your spool onto the centre of the three spool holders. The one you are currently using, is not intended for stitching mode, but solely for when you are refilling the bobbins. For me, when not winding bobbins I hang a small pin cushion off it or have an extra spool of thread in place.

There's a lot of detail here that may help everyone ....... and explains the spool holders more clearly.
Threading an 8 Series BERNINA | Tips for Easy Threading | WeAllSew

So far I have just skimmed through and want to go back for a better read.
Looks like there is a lot of useful info there.

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-10-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a Viking machine and I use Maxi Lock thread on it and my APQS long arm. I have not had a problem with either of the machines with this thread. I use other brands on my Viking as well, and they all work fine. I had one spool of variegated Isacord thread that would not work on my Viking, but that is the only one I have ever had a problem with. I have used various different spools of thread also, without a problem. I love my Viking, and it is about 16 years old. It has been a great machine. My APQS did not like Superior thread. Broke all the time.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:18 AM

Hey thanks, QuiltE, the way I have it set up now is how the shop sent it home to me (at least the spool position) after the cleaning/sensor replacement so I assumed it was better than the way I had it. I can easily go to the other position, and always nice to have a place to put the backup bobbin where you hang your pincushion. I will check out the link and the manual, I know there were recommendations for how to use/twist the spool holder. BTW, I do like those extra large bobbins and the bobbin sensor, no more stitching forever to find out you ran of thread at the start of the day. And the bobbin winder is easy and gives me a nice quality bobbin.

For the first year I tried various internet cures and positions of thread spools and the uptake and using the bobbin winder notch and nothing worked. My friend who had it before me used it for around 5 years, that was who gave me the recommendation of "seems to like Aurifil". She is so much happier and still a Bernina Fan with her 770. She actually bought it from a friend of her's... from what I understand who used it for just over a year and when the shop offered her less than half for it when she tried to return it, Barb said she'd buy it for half. Gwen, btw, also went that route and is delighted with her 770 (760??) too.

So I'm the third owner in about 10 years, we've tried most things to various degrees of confidence. I've seen the horror stories, I don't think my Bernie is one of the lemons but I believe they are out there! When Bernie is not being cranky, he's a little powerhouse and we can do all sorts of things. With my vision issues the bright light, the huge workbed and the self threader are all delightful. I can't really read the buttons but I love the knee peddle for foot up/down, the foot pedal for needle up/down, and I know which button is cut thread! Which I also like, who knew my clothing would be neater simply by using a thread cutter.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:37 PM

Goodness, some of the descriptions of sewing machines make them sound like frontal-lobe-challenged teenagers! I find that, whenever I think my machine is to blame it’s often me all along; the trouble is, for me, that there are always too many variables to be able to work out which exact thing it is that is messing up; it’s like testing for allergies - you have to eliminate one ingredient at a time. But that’s so difficult with sewing. Sometimes, when I think it’s the thread it’s actually one of many other possibles: tension, batting, fabric itself, oiling, worn out needle, worn out me....I agree with the ‘I’m not going to let my machine be picky’ philosophy, and anyway, as already said, it’s often I myself who am to ‘blame’. I personally love Superior threads and use different versions for most things. Amongst the muted whites and greys there are so many lovely shades, and in King Tut some really pretty variegated ones that can be beautiful in quilting, if a slightly heavier weight thread works.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:07 AM

Thanks for all the comments on my original entry. I have been thinking of any poly as being handled in the same way as when the original polyester/cotton blend fabrics and thread came out. If you touched those fabrics with a Linen setting on your iron, you could burn the fabric in just a few seconds. "Ask me how I know???" I am glad to know others have tested the Glide thread and found it held up well with a hot (Linen) setting for pressing. Glide is a 40 weight thread and I have begun to really like a 50 weight for piecing. For quilting I love the 40 weight. My piecing seams don't have to be quite as scant as when using the 40. I wind my own bobbins so whatever thread I am using in the top is what I use in the bottom, both on my longarm and all sewing machines. Of course, this gives me the illusion that my seams are all very well balanced when sometimes it is not true. LOL That's when a bit of backstitching, to anchor the seam at the beginning and the end, really comes in handy. I use a 1.8 or 2.0 setting for all normal piecing stitch length. I find this really helps my seams stay together. Sometimes, I have had my machines argue with me if I try to go too fast using this setting, but I just slow down a bit and it all works out.

I am going to use that bobbin idea for keeping the thread coming off the cones more correctly. I have used every guide on my Brother machines to make sure the thread doesn't spool off too much at a time and have worked out a system that works, but sometimes I don't remember how I threaded it the last time. And I think that would work on my longarm too. I rarely use anything less than 5000 yard cones. The cost savings for 5000 vs 1100 yards is significant, regardless of which thread you like.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:06 AM

Sounds like your machine needs cleaning and/or servicing to me. No reason a Janome machine should not sew well with any quality thread.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

My Janome is also picky about the thread. I buy Gutermann from Amazon. Works fine in my machine.