Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting in your 20's

The reason I love this forum is that it is full of kind wonderful people of all ages. However I am the youngest quilter I personally know. I would love to get to know younger quilters like myself.

Please no one take we me wrong I really do appreciate everyone here and love the knowlegde everyone is able to pass along. I don't think I would have gotten this far without the wisdom and motivation that comes from this board.

a4ohio, I know where you are coming from, as I am 25 years old. I started quilting when I was 20 years old, but I didn't know anyone else who quilted. When I moved to graduate school I met a couple of classmates who also quilted, and now we have started our oun quilt guild which helps get new people into quilting at our University. If there are any universities around you check them out, maybe they have a quilt group for students and young people. Happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    I am not in my 20's any more!! :D
    But when I quilt, I feel like I am in my 20's!! :D
    It's just so fun.
    Cheryl
    :D :D :D

I am 26 years old!! I am new to quilting. I am awaiting the arrival of fabric in the mail to start my very first quilt. I have sewed many other items, and my first love is crochet, so now I decided to tackle quilting. I don't know anyone my age who quilts either!! But it is okay with me, I enjoy the knowledge and kindness that quilters older than me provide!

My boyfriend calls me an old granny because I crochet, sew, and read. What can I say...I am wise beyond my years!!!

I'm 21 :) I went to a class, and everyone was baffled that I wanted to learn to quilt at 20...lol

I started when I was 30. Joined a guild and I was the youngest there. I think it's great that you're starting young. That just means more time for you to make quilts!! :D

I started in my 20s. Actually, there are a few teens on the board, too.

I am in my mid 30's and started quilting about a year ago. I also enjoy other types of sewing projects as well but coming here and getting to know some people here has been the best. chris

I am 35. I have been quilting for about two years now. I always feel funny walking into a class and everyone else is a lot older then me. It is fun though! They start talking about when their kids were young! Plus they are so happy that the 'younger' generation is finally starting to enjoy this tradition!!!
    And from what I have seen on here, we have the next generatin already started!
    This board has been the best find since I started quilting!!! (except maybe my LQS)!!! Thanks everyone!!
    Kendra

One thing I've learned from quilting is that there are A LOT of baby boomers out there. I used to think I just liked weird things (maybe I do) but then I realized that the reason that you find people a generation older than me everywhere is that there were just A LOT of them. I'm 38 and I started quilting 2 years ago and when I go to guild meetings there may not be anyone younger than I. But, that aside, I do have 2 quilter friends my age that I found outside of meetings. Try and get your friends interested - maybe they'll get hooked like we did!

I'm 26 too! I haven't quilted for very long but I've always dabbled in something-doodling, painting, embroidery, you know whatever :). This board is great though huh? I don't really know anyone by me that is into any of this kind of stuff but that's cool. I've always been more of a lone wolf.

I'm not in my twenties, but when I was I knit and crocheted and sewed all my kids clothes. I was not the only one, but it felt that way. I didn't care, just kept doing it and loving it. I still do all those things but now I quilt too.

Darn it, not in my twenties any more....am 31. No one else I know that is my age is into any kind of sewing or crafts. I have always been 'traditional' and have been into crafts since I was little.

There is a good quilting guild not far from me, but I went to a show they had once and they were all they were all 50+ years old. The lady on the door was friendly and encouraged me to join, but when I tried to make conversation with other ladies inside that were showing their quilts, they didn't seem to want to make any effort to talk to me.

I keep thinking I should perservere and go to a meeting as I'm sure I could benefit from their expertise, but I feel like maybe I would be the odd one out in such an established, mature group. I laugh because I am SO confident in all other areas of my life!

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    I"m 31 but started sewing when I was 12 and quilting when I was 29. I too started by crocheting (was taught when I was little) and graduated into quilting and love it!

I'm the youngest in my quilt guild that just started in Jan. I've been to every meeting and am even in charge of the FQ monthly swap.

My opinion on this is that, oh, I don't know...I'll say 20 years ago or more, girls were more into sewing and quilting and baking and making things not only because they had to, but there wasn't all this other stuff "out there". Technology...tv, video games, computers, etc. comes along and becomes more popular and more accessible to everyone, seems like the more traditional "hobbies" are left behind by most. Why cook for a day, when a microwave can nuke it in 60 seconds!? Well, I cook, but I also use a microwave sometimes, lol. That's just an example.
    I've always been interested in crafty things, even as a little girl. I guess you either have the craft/create bug or you don't. My SIL (live2teach) is the only other person in my age group (that I can think of that I know personally) that also quilts (among many other cool things).
    And, yes, I'm still in my twenties. Sometimes I think I must have a really old soul or something. Don't know. I do know I'm interested in a lot of things......
    and I hope nobody takes offense in what I said. I don't mean that you are old if you aren't 20. That's not what I'm saying at all. Sometimes I feel like I've been around for hundreds of years.

I'm in my twenties but I'm at the far end of that now. I'm 29 and have been quilting since I was 18. I had sewed a few things before that. My mom has always quilted, but she usually quilted tops that others made. I didn't know anyone at all who quilted except my mom.

The friends I have online are my only quilting friends. I love the internet. I have made so many friends and learned so much.

Lynette

I'm 31 now... started sewing in my early teens, crocheting when I was 24 and quilting at 25. I was young too. I started at an adult ed class in my town. I was the youngest one there and they were surprised that I wanted to learn. My husband calls me grandma too!

When the kids at school ask me my age--I tell them I am 29 AGAIN.

I used to say 25, but even they didn't believe me.

Rose H.

I think at any age it is wonderful, besides age is irrelivant..it is the spirit in us thats important...I know a 12 year old who quilts, it a great form of artistic expression, and creativity.....I started learning quilting in my 20's as a way to try to "escape" a really bad marriage...I'm now 31..and it was just in the last 2 years that I got very serious about learning all I can about quilting..I love it! Unfortunatly I haven't done a single thing with my fabric in the last couple of weeks :( shame on me lol

I think it's great that there are so many YOUNG things out there, enjoying the pleasures that working with fabrics can bring. Obviously age is no barrier to creativity.

I would never have guessed that so many of you are so young..... even those with more years under (or is that around) their belts - so to speak.

I see so much innovation that every one of us could be classed as young and daring. ENJOY living laughing and sewing!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Gosh I wish I had learned to quilt when I was in my twenties- you guys will all be sooooooo good at it by the time you are 50! WOW!
    come, come, loretta! how would you know?

let's see....
    i've ben 20 three times now. does that count?

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    I'm 27, but I started sewing when I was really young. I started taking lessons so I could make my own clothes when I was about 9, not because my parents couldn't afford clothes, (since we all know how expensive fabric is) but because I was sooo tiny that no age-apropriate clothes fit me. In early high school I was the size of a 7 year old. :roll:
    Anyways, I have been sewing for a long time, and only quilting for a bit over a year now, but I love it. I don't personally know anyone else my age who does any sewing, never mind quilting. I know one girl who does cross stitch who's my age.

well, well, well, am i ever on the wrong page today!! i have only been quilting 2-1/2 years but i'm one day older than dirt, lol. get out your calculator - i was born in December of 1936! i know, that's ancient, huh?
    i would just give anything if somebody had introduced me to quilting when i was young. i will have to live to be at least 150 to get done what i want to get done. so it's so nice to hear of younger ladies interested in quilting - that way the art will hopefully never die.

Loretta, me too! I wish I had started when I was in my 20's, just think of all the things I could have made by now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast