Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in your 20's >

Quilting in your 20's

Quilting in your 20's

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

I'm 26 too! I haven't quilted for very long but I've always dabbled in something-doodling, painting, embroidery, you know whatever :). This board is great though huh? I don't really know anyone by me that is into any of this kind of stuff but that's cool. I've always been more of a lone wolf.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I'm not in my twenties, but when I was I knit and crocheted and sewed all my kids clothes. I was not the only one, but it felt that way. I didn't care, just kept doing it and loving it. I still do all those things but now I quilt too.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Darn it, not in my twenties any more....am 31. No one else I know that is my age is into any kind of sewing or crafts. I have always been 'traditional' and have been into crafts since I was little.

There is a good quilting guild not far from me, but I went to a show they had once and they were all they were all 50+ years old. The lady on the door was friendly and encouraged me to join, but when I tried to make conversation with other ladies inside that were showing their quilts, they didn't seem to want to make any effort to talk to me.

I keep thinking I should perservere and go to a meeting as I'm sure I could benefit from their expertise, but I feel like maybe I would be the odd one out in such an established, mature group. I laugh because I am SO confident in all other areas of my life!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 AM

I"m 31 but started sewing when I was 12 and quilting when I was 29. I too started by crocheting (was taught when I was little) and graduated into quilting and love it!

I'm the youngest in my quilt guild that just started in Jan. I've been to every meeting and am even in charge of the FQ monthly swap.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 AM

My opinion on this is that, oh, I don't know...I'll say 20 years ago or more, girls were more into sewing and quilting and baking and making things not only because they had to, but there wasn't all this other stuff "out there". Technology...tv, video games, computers, etc. comes along and becomes more popular and more accessible to everyone, seems like the more traditional "hobbies" are left behind by most. Why cook for a day, when a microwave can nuke it in 60 seconds!? Well, I cook, but I also use a microwave sometimes, lol. That's just an example.
I've always been interested in crafty things, even as a little girl. I guess you either have the craft/create bug or you don't. My SIL (live2teach) is the only other person in my age group (that I can think of that I know personally) that also quilts (among many other cool things).
And, yes, I'm still in my twenties. Sometimes I think I must have a really old soul or something. Don't know. I do know I'm interested in a lot of things......
and I hope nobody takes offense in what I said. I don't mean that you are old if you aren't 20. That's not what I'm saying at all. Sometimes I feel like I've been around for hundreds of years.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 AM

I'm in my twenties but I'm at the far end of that now. I'm 29 and have been quilting since I was 18. I had sewed a few things before that. My mom has always quilted, but she usually quilted tops that others made. I didn't know anyone at all who quilted except my mom.

The friends I have online are my only quilting friends. I love the internet. I have made so many friends and learned so much.

Lynette
Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 AM

I'm 31 now... started sewing in my early teens, crocheting when I was 24 and quilting at 25. I was young too. I started at an adult ed class in my town. I was the youngest one there and they were surprised that I wanted to learn. My husband calls me grandma too!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 AM

When the kids at school ask me my age--I tell them I am 29 AGAIN.

I used to say 25, but even they didn't believe me.

Rose H.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM

I think at any age it is wonderful, besides age is irrelivant..it is the spirit in us thats important...I know a 12 year old who quilts, it a great form of artistic expression, and creativity.....I started learning quilting in my 20's as a way to try to "escape" a really bad marriage...I'm now 31..and it was just in the last 2 years that I got very serious about learning all I can about quilting..I love it! Unfortunatly I haven't done a single thing with my fabric in the last couple of weeks :( shame on me lol
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM

I think it's great that there are so many YOUNG things out there, enjoying the pleasures that working with fabrics can bring. Obviously age is no barrier to creativity.

I would never have guessed that so many of you are so young..... even those with more years under (or is that around) their belts - so to speak.

I see so much innovation that every one of us could be classed as young and daring. ENJOY living laughing and sewing!!!!!!