Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: quilts for desolate, colorless world are rolling in!

  1. #1
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    I spent the morning at my local quilt guild meeting where I passed out several of your tops to be completed. When I arrived home, 3 more tops had arrived!

    Thank you, thank you to all who are faithfully making and sending to me quilts for the soldiers in Farah, Afghanistan!!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63082-1.htm
    The commander, my SIL Bert, sounded better today, not so sad and down, in a phone call to his DW, my DD. He says they are getting excited about these quilts coming to color their dun-colored, drab world. They continue to be surrounded by danger from warring village tribes and are without many basic necessities; these quilts will definitely soon be a hug from home. I hope to start shipping after the first of October, nearly a month before first anticipated, due to the generosity and creativity of members here.

    Quilts arrive at my home almost every day, it's like Christmas opening your packages and seeing your wonderful quilts! I know they will bless these young men more than you will ever know.

    When he learned there had been a wonderful response to his request, Bert mentioned that "the magic number" is 128 men under his command. And I realized that if we don't send that many, how would he ever decide who was to get a quilt from us and who would do without one?!

    So: For those who have made and sent a quilt or top, thank you!
    For those who thought of it, offered to, intended to, or wish they had, please keep on keeping on! We can use/finish/ship all you send.

    Please continue to keep these men in your prayers and in the work of your quilting! May you be blessed as you bless them.

    Jan in VA

  2. #2
    Super Member CajunQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Posts
    3,296
    I will see what I can dig out of my stash to get one done.
    Will you post pictures of the ones coming in?

  3. #3
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    Myrna,

    Thank you for your response. I don't have a camera unfortunately and can not post pictures of those arriving. I wish!!

    A few have been posted before the tops were shipped to me, that helps.

    I'll PM you with info.

    Jan in VA

  4. #4
    Senior Member Linda B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    678
    I've got three quilts for you at the basting stage. I hope to do some simple quilting on them this weekend and will get them to you asap. I also have a left over piece of batting that would be big enough for a top someone else might send to you.

  5. #5
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    How generous!! Thank you, Linda B!

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    "When he learned there had been a wonderful response to his request, Bert mentioned that "the magic number" is 128 men under his command. And I realized that if we don't send that many, how would he ever decide who was to get a quilt from us and who would do without one?! "

    So how many quilts have you recieved?

    My quilts will be sent out on Mon. I hope.

  7. #7
    Super Member slk350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Posts
    1,935
    what size quilts do you want ??

  8. #8
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by slk350
    what size quilts do you want ??
    This is from the first topic:

    So........I'm asking if any among you would be willing to make some bed quilt TOPS -- we are setting a size request of 45" x 65" in order to fit their cots. If you would piece a TOP with your fabrics and mail them on to me, I will see them batted, quilted, and mailed overseas.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    271
    Jan our sit & sew group is going to have a day in November to make pillow cases for the one million pillow case challenge & we would like to send them to the soldiers that are fighting these wars for us. Would you be able to use these to send along with the quilts? We won't be doing this until about the middle of Nov. though. Is that too late to get them sent to you so you can send them with the quilts? I'll also tell them about your need for quilt tops or quilts. You can PM me with your answer & what the deadline would be too. Hopefully, we can help you out.

    Bonnie

  10. #10
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy
    Jan our sit & sew group is going to have a day in November to make pillow cases for the one million pillow case challenge & we would like to send them to the soldiers that are fighting these wars for us. Would you be able to use these to send along with the quilts? We won't be doing this until about the middle of Nov. though. Is that too late to get them sent to you so you can send them with the quilts? I'll also tell them about your need for quilt tops or quilts. You can PM me with your answer & what the deadline would be too. Hopefully, we can help you out.

    Bonnie
    Bonnie,
    We've talked about this before, and I thank you for asking again. Many have offered pillowcases, but actually most of the men in this location don't even have pillows for their heads as their footlockers with personal/non-essential items like pillows have been held up since July in Pakistan due to massive flooding there. It's incredible! Some are sleeping on their balled up jackets.
    So, we've opted to only focus on and pay to ship quilts at this time.

    I do so appreciate your offer, though!

    Jan in VA

  11. #11
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    "When he learned there had been a wonderful response to his request, Bert mentioned that "the magic number" is 128 men under his command. And I realized that if we don't send that many, how would he ever decide who was to get a quilt from us and who would do without one?! "

    So how many quilts have you recieved?

    My quilts will be sent out on Mon. I hope.
    Sue,
    Today is 9/18 and fourteen wonderful quilts have arrived so far! That's just amazing considering I only posted the first message about this need late on Sept. 4!!
    We obviously could use many, many more.
    Jan in VA

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy
    Jan our sit & sew group is going to have a day in November to make pillow cases for the one million pillow case challenge & we would like to send them to the soldiers that are fighting these wars for us. Would you be able to use these to send along with the quilts? We won't be doing this until about the middle of Nov. though. Is that too late to get them sent to you so you can send them with the quilts? I'll also tell them about your need for quilt tops or quilts. You can PM me with your answer & what the deadline would be too. Hopefully, we can help you out.

    Bonnie
    Bonnie,
    We've talked about this before, and I thank you for asking again. Many have offered pillowcases, but actually most of the men in this location don't even have pillows for their heads as their footlockers with personal/non-essential items like pillows have been held up since July in Pakistan due to massive flooding there. It's incredible! Some are sleeping on their balled up jackets.
    So, we've opted to only focus on and pay to ship quilts at this time.

    I do so appreciate your offer, though!

    Jan in VA
    Could you please PM your address so we can send you some quilt tops. I'm sure there will be some that will want to help too. I'll see what I can whip up. You are doing a great job!!

  13. #13
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    PM me your address and I'll send one out, too. It's been pieced for a few years now... but every time I take it out to quilt, it's just not as exciting as current projects so it never gets done. Let's put this to good use!

  14. #14
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,699
    This quilt top should be going your way Friday or Monday. Praying everything will come together so your group can send the first batch soon.

    Colors are different as I had the setting on the camera wrong.
    Name:  Attachment-112167.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  72.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    It's wonderful! It'll be go a long way to brightening these miserable tent barracks, I'm sure! Thank you!
    Jan in VA

  16. #16
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,699
    I took new pictures as with the first set of pictures the setting on the camera was wrong. Hopefully these reflexed the colors better.

    Quilt Top for army
    Name:  Attachment-98168.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  123.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    Isn't that just wonderful!!!
    Someone will be very happy with those bright colors in the barracks; thank you!!
    Jan in VA

  18. #18
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    We finally got some photos of quilts that were donated to Military Barracks Quilt project at the local guild in October.

    Tall blonde in photos is Patriot Quilter Lynne, a faithful maker of war wounded quilts and one of our longarmers.

    Jan in VA

    class on value study given to us
    Name:  Attachment-100378.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  52.8 KB

    taken off their walls for us
    Name:  Attachment-100379.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  48.8 KB

    Lynne's design for us
    Name:  Attachment-100380.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  45.9 KB

  19. #19
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    And one more from Lynne.
    Documentation photos were taken of all quilts shipped yesterday and I'll have those for you soon.
    Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,699
    Three more tops for Jan's project for the army personel in Farrah, Afghanistan. These are very scrappy as most of the fabric was gifted to me from people cleaning their stash.

    My 19 yr old DD really liked this one.
    Name:  Attachment-136341.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  129.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images


  21. #21
    kso
    kso is offline
    Senior Member kso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    808
    Do you need anymore tops for this project?

  22. #22
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Three more tops for Jan's project for the army personel in Farrah, Afghanistan. These are very scrappy as most of the fabric was gifted to me from people cleaning their stash.
    Oh, Anna, they are wonderful!! thank you!

    We are SO close to the goal now, I feel sure with just a few more we'll make it.
    Jan in VA

  23. #23
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Three more tops for Jan's project for the army personel in Farrah, Afghanistan. These are very scrappy as most of the fabric was gifted to me from people cleaning their stash.
    Oh, Anna, they are wonderful!! thank you!

    We are SO close to the goal now, I feel sure with just a few more we'll make it.
    Jan in VA
    Thanks Jan! They are on their way priority mail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.