Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home >

Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home

Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 AM

The ones I have seen were made by the deceased and served as a pall on the casket which was beautiful. It really represented the persons love of quilting. Before burial it was folded and given to the family member designated to receive it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM

I was just discussing 'funeral' plans with DH because I was suppose to have surgery & you just never know what may go wrong. So I was telling him my last wishes & I told him I would like to have all my quilts lined up & down the side isles & have my own quilt show! I was serious. Not to be bragging but to show my love of quilting, as if everyone don't know it already! But when I do die, my quilts are going to be displayed.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Did he agree to do it? My hubby wild probably laugh!!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM

My friend was an avid, long-time quilter and well known in the quilting community. When she passed away, her family displayed about 50 of her quilts...all around the casket and in the gathering room for snacks afterwards. It was amazing and a pure joy to see her quilts around her.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM

I've never seen a quilt at a furneral, however, when my mother died at the hospice center, when they took her from her room to the furneral home,the hospice workers had made a quilt that had all the workers and volunteers hand prints on the quilt and they covered the stretcher with the quilt before the wheeled it out passed us. My mother was not a quilter but my sister and I are. It was a great comfort to see her covered with this quilt all made up of caring hands. The quilt doesn't stay with the deceased (they use it again) but it was a comforting symbol for us as we were saying our first farwells to mom. Amazing the feelings a quilt can impart.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I've never seen a quilt at a furneral, however, when my mother died at the hospice center, when they took her from her room to the furneral home,the hospice workers had made a quilt that had all the workers and volunteers hand prints on the quilt and they covered the stretcher with the quilt before the wheeled it out passed us. My mother was not a quilter but my sister and I are. It was a great comfort to see her covered with this quilt all made up of caring hands. The quilt doesn't stay with the deceased (they use it again) but it was a comforting symbol for us as we were saying our first farwells to mom. Amazing the feelings a quilt can impart.
This post brought tears to my eyes. What a loving, compassionate way for the Caretakers to send off one of their "Family Members". And what a comfort to the other Residents that when it is their time, they will be shown the same care and respect.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM

My father-in-law passed away on July 12. We had made him a quilt and posted it here (titled "Pop-Pop's quilt" ). We didn't know how short his time was as we were working on it, but he loved it for the short time he got to use it. When we were planning the funeral, we decided that since it was done in LSU fabrics, and he loved the quilt so much, that we would use it with the family's flowers. Several people commented on it and it was a great comfort to Kimberly and her mom. Her mom has the quilt now; we don't know what she will decide to do with it. We suspect she will keep it since it was never more than a few feet from him for the last 2 months of his life, and most of the time he was covered with it. Obviously I think it is a fabulous and very personal tribute.

Darren
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM

I have never heard of this before but what a wonderful idea. I know we found a casket with wood inlay of an eagle. I beautiful quilt would also be so wonderful. Gives me and Idea to have ready for my Step-Mother's passing.

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Sounds beautiful to me. Especially the ones that loved ones can take home for a remembrance.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Using quilts and or displaying them here in my town has been done for a number of years. Especially if that person was a quilter. In fact a few years ago a family came to our quilt group when their mother passed and asked us to make a small quilt to put in her casket. We had two days to do it. Our group was small and each person made a small block and we got it done. Yes, it is a lovely tribute.