Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home

What a wonderful idea. Quilts can be there forever and flowers just die. I want quilts for mine.

Blog Entries
    My mama wasn't a quilter, but she did do needlework...we had a table set up with a display of things she had made for us...just kind of gave everyone there a glimpse of who she was....

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love flowers but the ones at funerals look so depressing to me. That other idea sounds much better.

Blog Entries
    For the past few years, funerals at our church have included the comfort quilts that our church quilting group has made for those who are ill or experiencing a serious trauma of sorts. One man was buried with the quilt a 9 year old made. He treasured that quilt, because it was made to look like a flag and he had been a vet. The family usually keeps the quilts, because their loved one used that quilt, which is always given with a Bible verse in cross stitch attached, while they were ill or in the hospital. If the departed has opted for a cremation, the quilt has also been used to cover a table which holds the ashes, a photo, flowers or other mementos.

It really makes us, as Piecemakers, feel wonderful that quilts we created are so treasured and that they brought some joy and actual hugs to people who were ill.

The third Monday morning of each month, we gather at church to create these gifts. And we KNOW it helps.

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen this locally at any funerals, but I think it is a beyond amazing idea! Quilts touch so many lives!

The first quilt I ever made was a gift for my grandma. When she passed last fall, it was displayed in the casket with her, along with the cross-stitch pillow I made her. My 16 y/o cousin wanted them buried with her, but I kept them for the memories. She sold so many special things over her last few years, but the things I made her went to every hospital & respite home with her, so I know how much she treasured them...

My DH aunt and uncle had sheep. They did alot of spinning and weaving. When uncle passed they used one of his weavings instead of a casket spray. It gave a chance to remember good times rather than his long illness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky
    I believe that that is a lovely idea. Before my mom passed away she said bring me flowers while I'm still her to enjoy them not at my funeral. Quilts would have been a great idea.
    Beautiful picture of you in your avatar Nicky.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    We had a distant relative who had her own quilts displayed at the funeral, kind of like a private showing. Was great way to remember her. Since so many of us give our quilts away, this was nice to see them brought back one last time.
    I heard of one similar to this not too long ago. There were several dozen quilts displayed all around the sanctuary, most of which had been previously given away, but were gathered together for this warming tribute. I love the idea of honoring someone in such a personal way.

Never seen it, never heard of it, but LOVE the idea! What a wonderful thing to do!!!! And in my opinion, beats the heck out of flowers!

I have never heard of this . What a wonderful idea instead of flowers. I have always hated wasting what little money I have on flowers. But what I did do for my fathers funeral was give yellow tulips and my step mom took them home and planted them. I always give something different.
    I have already decided on what I want. no viewing I don't like them No funeral my DD has better things to spend her money on. I am donating my body. But I do want a rip roaring party. Lots of music, food , booze and laughter. Hopefully they will display some of my quilts.

My sister in law passed away and she had a closed casket. Her daughters put a large wall hanging she had made that had different blocks on it over the casket. It was a beautiful and wonderful way to memorialize her handiwork. She was a superb quilter and her husband now keeps it hanging on his wall.

When one of my friends died, there were no flowers on her casket, they had put one ofher masterpiece quilts over it. Ithad been hung at Houston, and she won numerous prizes on it. It was a wonderful tribute to her and brought tears to my eyes when Isaw it.

HI DONNA,
    I noticed your from Rogers City,Mi.,years ago I passed that area on my way up to Cheboygan.
    What a precious wonderful tribute with quilts I wish I would have known about it when my mom passed away,she was a wonderful hand quilter,my name is Gale however it was already being used,gale

Yes, I've seen it quite often ... and most of them are very lovely ... I especially like the ones with the Lord's prayer and Psalms 23. I've seen them with Angels, praying hands, Jesus, and various other scenes.

When a dear friend passed away, the funeral home had a casket with a wedding ring quilt pattern in the lid. The church was a quilt show as she had requested her work be displayed.
    I know a young lady who lost her husband in a shooting. He was a DEA agent and lost his life in the line of duty. Anyway she now says her demise is completely taken care of. She has one quilt that everyone wants to inherit, she plans to have it at her funeral, anyone who comes to the service will get a ticket and when the service is over a ticket will be pulled and someone will take the quilt home. Might be one way to get all your friends to your funeral (oh my that was an awful thing to say! a little black humor in early morning)

A older couple began coming to our church a few years ago. Really neat people... she went into surgery for a very routine procedure, had a stroke on the table and passed away about a week later. Our church does prayer quilts - we had just finished making one for her/him when she passed. He kept the quilt and was so blessed by it that he wanted to know if we could make their three sons each one. We got busy and made three quilts in a couple of days (all using the same pattern!) and all four quilts were used at her memorial service up north.

Ya know - that sounds like a very nice gesture! Flowers are beautiful, but they don't last - this way the survivor(s) could have this quilt and remembrance of their relative.

I've never seen it either, but think its a great idea!

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it be a nice thought, if we know of someone with a terminal illness, to make a small quilt for the service that would be donated to someone else suffering the same way. Just a lap robe would let that ill person know that they are in someone's prayers.

I have seen quilts used at wakes and funerals. Several years ago, my friend's son died in a car accident. At his wake, her DIL had his casket draped with the quilt that my friend made for him. It was touching and comforting. Another experience was about a year ago. One of my quilting friends died unexpectedly. At her funeral, the church was 'decorated' with several of her quits. They were everywhere and it was such a nice reminder of her talents and everyone at the service remarked how special it was to see all of her quilts there.

Instead of a flower spray on my Mother's casket, I placed her last handmade quilt using all the scraps of her years of quilting as a tribute to her and her close friends that quilted with her. I now use this quilt as a topper on a bed and admire it and her memory daily.

My daughter died a few months ago, and I never thought of this! It would have been a great thing to use a quilt, and I would have had it to wrap up in after when missing her. Never saw anyone else use a quilt like this before.

I have never heard of this either. Here in Mississippi they are doing videos of the person's lifeat the wake. I love the quilt idea.

Blog Entries
    This post brings a smile to my heart. My mother is a quilter and I thought about putting her quilts out at her one day funeral. I have instructed my daughter that is what I would like when I pass on. My father was a farmer and dearly loved his John Deere tractors. Of course at 99 he had sold all of his farming equipment. I put a John Deere hat and several small replicas of his tractors in his casket. I was a nice touch to a dismal day.
    Peace and Blessings

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast