Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilts for Kids Surorise

Quilts for Kids Surorise

About 3 years ago I made a quilt for the Quilts for Kids organization. I thought of children in extreme health crises as I made it. Now I volunteer in a local hospital. I discharged an infant. On the wheelchair the mom placed a lap size quilt. I commented how nice the quilt was. Mom tells me that the nurse said they give a quilt to every child. As she showed me the quilt I looked on the back and there was a quilt for Kids label. This is not my understanding of the use of these quilts. Has something changed so that every hospitalized kid gets a quilt?

Rita

This is their mission statement, from the web site:
    MISSION STATEMENT: Transforming discontinued, unwanted and other fabrics
    into patchwork quilts that comfort children with life-threatening illnesses and
    children of abuse.

Blog Entries
    you don't think it's a wonderful thing for every hospitalized child to receive a quilt?
    i've been making Quilts for Kids for a number of years- 20-30 of them a year- and am so happy to be helping make sure there is a quilt for each child who winds up in the hospital --the hospital is a pretty scary place- especially for children and to give them such a gift always brings a smile to their faces- i try to remember teens need a little (cozy hug) too- when hospitalized so i make sure i make tween/teen quilts too not just quilts for little kids.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I make quilts for Project Linus and am delighted that a lot of them go to our local hospitals. The staff is delilghted when they see bags of them coming in because they know what a trauma it is for a child - teenager to be hospitalized regardless of whether it is a health crisis. Yes, we do try to make it possible for every hospitalized child to have a quilt.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Our Georgia Chapter of Quilts for Kids want to give to children battling illiness and have been abused. the Quilts are giving through hospitals and shelters. Quilts are also give to those who have lost parents in war from Fort Stewart while deployed.

The quilt you saw may have been giving to the hospital and they made the decision to give to all infants. Or maybe the new mother is a needy case. Never know but I am sure the gift quilt was appreciated.

do you know this family's circumstances? Maybe it was warranted, or the mother misspoke. I would be warmed to see the quilts in action ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

IMHO if the person/people at the hospital decides a child needs a quilt, that is a good enough reason to gift the quilt. A donation quilt is made to be donated, and I bet a child who receives a quilt is very happy to receive such a wonderful quilt.

Blog Entries
    I would think if a child is in the hospital it is sick! I see no reason to make a difference. Barny

It really is up to the hospital what they do with the quilts once they get them.

Was the baby a newborn? Is that the concern that the possibility of a sick/injured child not getting one because they've all been given to healthy babies? It could be size, many people don't make large quilts and the smaller ones could go to the babies. The hospital may be fortunate to receive many and have enough for every child no matter the reason they are hospitalized to have one.

What everyone has said is correct, about all kids deserving a quilt. However the original poster's question was based on her understanding of how this particular organization distributes its quilts. The stated mission of QFK is that the quilts go to kids who have life-threatening illnesses, or who have been abused. If this is not the case, the mission statement should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    What everyone has said is correct, about all kids deserving a quilt. However the original poster's question was based on her understanding of how this particular organization distributes its quilts. The stated mission of QFK is that the quilts go to kids who have life-threatening illnesses, or who have been abused. If this is not the case, the mission statement should be changed.
    Thank you dunster for this clarification. I was beginning to feel like scrooge. I want everyone of any age to have a quilt but I was it was this organization's mission statement to donate to the gravely ill or abused.
    Rita

Was the child in the NICU for any time or reason? I know our daughter was born at 29 weeks and we got a small blanket that a local group makes for NICU babies. We used it to cover her changing pad and now it is a play blanket...after almost 4 years, so it was appreicated and used.

But I do understand your questioning....maybe the hospital had an influx of quilts and could "afford" to give all babies one during that time.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

As a hospital volunteer I am not at liberty to discuss any patient. I can say that babies are not born at my hospital and there is no Neonatal unit. We have a pediatric unit that serves infants to age 18. My point is only that quilts are given to any patient. Yes I know other patients have received quilts. I was just taken back by this use of QFK quilts given the mission statement.
    Rita

I don't know how it works or if every hospital is the same. I do know that my daughter has been hospitalized a few times in the last year. She has gotten two crocheted blankets and a pillowcase. One of the volunteers that came in asked my daughter if she was an only child or if she had brothers and sisters. She told her she had one brother and one sister. They had little hand made bags with a small activity book and a few crayons and fleece blankets for them too. She said that they are all donated from a group of ladies to make sure all the kids there get something nice.
    I am thinking each hospital has their own way of doing things. Maybe they have alot of quilts donated to the hospital you are volunteering at. I see your point though. They should change their statement.
    As for my daughter, she has Crohns and we will never know how many times she will be hospitalized. Now we bring her "hospital quilt" and pillowcase so others can have them.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by ritamaew View Post
    As a hospital volunteer I am not at liberty to discuss any patient. I can say that babies are not born at my hospital and there is no Neonatal unit. We have a pediatric unit that serves infants to age 18. My point is only that quilts are given to any patient. Yes I know other patients have received quilts. I was just taken back by this use of QFK quilts given the mission statement.
    Rita
    If the baby was not born in the hospital, then it was there because it was ill? If so isn't that a proper use for QFK? Children do not end up in the hospital because they are well. have you contacted your local QFK to ask them about it?

I've done QFK's as well. I believe their mission statement was the original basis for the organization. When I started doing quilts for them they were still operating out of the founder's home. They moved last year (I think) to a new facility. They are located near to me and I would drop off/pick up kits from the home. I can tell you that they were very blessed with the number of quilts that were being produced for them. Possibly their mission has expanded due to the volume of quilts they have been receiving, which is a wonderful thing.

NJ--that makes sense to me. Mission statement should be updated IMHO
    Rita

I agree that the mission statement should be expanded. Having said that, every child who is in the hospital and the family are traumatized in some way. Their illness may not be life threatening, but being in the hospital is trauma enough. My DGS was in the hospital when he was 13 months old. For a week we thought (the doctors) that he had bone cancer. It turned out to be a broken leg. When he was discharged, we were all smiles, but that week was the most terrible week of our lives. I am a RN and I have seen many situations like that. Perhaps the hospital made the decision to give each child a quilt. I think that each family deserves something and once it is donated, it is up to the hospital how it is used. By the way my DGS is healthy and happy--thank the Lord. Another thought--once it is donated, it is up to the agency to decide what to do with it. If you don't approve, donate somewhere else. IMHO
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
    If the baby was not born in the hospital, then it was there because it was ill? If so isn't that a proper use for QFK? Children do not end up in the hospital because they are well. have you contacted your local QFK to ask them about it?
    Grandma58, I was thinking the same thing. I would rather see EACH child that's been in the hospital get a quilt, than have them pick which child has been "sick enough" to deserve one.
    Susie- you are correct, hospitalization of a child takes a toll on everyone regardless of the severity of the situation. as a parent that has been in that situation more than once i can say any act of kindness during that time is greatly appreciated.(and any rude comment or slight is magnified)

RST
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I think they need to rethink the wording of their mission statement. As is, from the family perspective, the gifting of a quilt becomes a visible symbol of the gravity and seriousness of their child's condition -- probably not what is intended.

My youngest son is hospitalized frequently due to complications of his disability. We were offered a fleece blanket once (and accepted it gratefully) but most of the time the nurses see that he comes with quilts from home and probably doesn't "need" more. I do know that they frequently don't have "boy" quilts and larger sizes appropriate for a tween or teen. Everyone likes to donate the infant girly quilts.

RST

Blog Entries
    I think it's wonderful that they have enough quilts to give one to every child.

The Quilts for Kids mission statement has not changed. Yes, every child should have a quilt, but there is a finite number of quilts available, so our thought is that the children in the greatest need are at the front of the line. Having said that, we have no control over the manner in which the quilts are distributed once they leave QFK and arrive at a hospital, even though our policy is well known. In 2011 our wonderful volunteers enabled us to donate almost 13,000 quilts nationwide, and our 85 chapters across the country donated over 10,000. We are a small grass-roots organization and rely on donations and volunteers to comfort as many children as we can. With about a million children hospitalized in this country, obviously we can't reach every one. Please visit our website www.quiltsforkids.org to learn more, check out our Facebook page, and feel free to contact us with any questions.
    Sincerely,
    Pam Fox

I know this conversation really boils down to the mission statement and I understand but as someone who has makes quilts for this organization I am thrilled that all children receive a quilt. Being in the hospital is scary for the kids that are aware of what is going on and terrifing to the parents of the ones that are too young. A quilt is a comforting distraction from the beeps, shots, smells and all around sterile feeling of the hospital.

I am sorry you were tweaked about it but not feel bad either if the quilts are being given away willy nilly and a truely sick child misses out because of it than the issue needs to be addressed. As a volunteer at the hospital can you not find out where and how the quilts are being handed out? Maybe someone who doesn't get it might just give the quilts to the peds. dept and move on without explaining the program.

Let us know what you find out.

Our guild make and donates about 25-30 quilts per month to the NICU (neonatal) at local hospital.
    Also to the Veterans at Christmas about 250 -to 300 per year. Very rewarding for all of us.

I make charity quilts for babies in a local group and we do not give quilts to the local hospitals as they will give a quilt to every baby born (could be a doctors baby or a lawyers baby) and so we do not give them quilts as we feel that we would prefer our quilts to go to those in need. Guess it depends on the hospital and the charity group.
    Michelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast