Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Kids Surorise >

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you don't think it's a wonderful thing for every hospitalized child to receive a quilt?
i've been making Quilts for Kids for a number of years- 20-30 of them a year- and am so happy to be helping make sure there is a quilt for each child who winds up in the hospital --the hospital is a pretty scary place- especially for children and to give them such a gift always brings a smile to their faces- i try to remember teens need a little (cozy hug) too- when hospitalized so i make sure i make tween/teen quilts too not just quilts for little kids.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Sometimes things happen for reasons that are unknown....you never can tell with "random acts of kindness"...I would call it "meant to be" and continue to quilt for your charities. One of the reasons I quilt is because I know the finished product will bring comfort.....Who knows where a quilt will end up on it's journey through life. All children need comfort and love, no matter what their background or situation. Sometimes those who look like they need things the least, in truth need the most. Happy quilting.
You are indeed a thoughtful and wise lady. I am going to tuck your words into my heart.

Thank you for your reply. You are a light in the world.

Rita
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by carreen View Post
I'm just thinking, the doctors child or the lawyers child would probably appreciate a quilt just as much as the child of the person who has been on welfare all of their lives and is abusing the system to get whatever they can for free from whoever they can con. Just as much as it isn't the childs fault what situation they are born into, neither is the child more fortunate responsible for being born into whatever their situation is. I think it's time we stop punishing the person that works hard and lasvishing the child that lives on welfare because of his parents choice. It reminds me of when the company I worked for picked a needy family for Christmas and the family got so much, it even included a washer and dryer. What does that kid tell the neighborhood friends that got one or two gifts because his parents work at low paying jobs to make ends meet and here are the neighbors that never work and they got nintendos and whatever else they could scam from the hard working people. Now, after writing this I debate, should I delete and just forget it? I'm sorry if I offend anyone but please think about the kids. They are all just kids no matter what their parents have.
Boy that family must have really been in need. I was on welfare once when I was in need. I did not however abuse the system.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ritamaew View Post
About 3 years ago I made a quilt for the Quilts for Kids organization. I thought of children in extreme health crises as I made it. Now I volunteer in a local hospital. I discharged an infant. On the wheelchair the mom placed a lap size quilt. I commented how nice the quilt was. Mom tells me that the nurse said they give a quilt to every child. As she showed me the quilt I looked on the back and there was a quilt for Kids label. This is not my understanding of the use of these quilts. Has something changed so that every hospitalized kid gets a quilt?

Rita
I'm surprised you would even ask this question. If a child is in the hospital for whatever reason, they should get a quilt, that's what they are there for, THE CHILDREN! Last year I made 100 quilts for Quilts For Kids and will continue to do so.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 AM

I'm with you and Pam Fox. I have been making Quilts For Kids for about 3 years. Last year I made 100 and I would hope they went to every child not just the one's that "are sick enough" to get one. I believe that every hospital is different in the way they give the quilts.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
Ugh!! I am trying to go to the site ya listed here to get more info and get involved but I only get the following message:
"Site Unavailable This website is using an IP address that is no longer valid. Please have your website administrator contact support for more information."
It appears there is a problem with the organization's internet provider, it's possible the web hosting company has changed or closed, or there is a problem with the domain. The IT department is likely volunteer-supported, with maybe 1 or 2 paid positions, so they might not even know the site is down. What a shame - hopefully someone will figure it out soon, they're getting a lot of free publicity just from this thread!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM

I haven't had any problems getting to the website yesterday or today. Try again today.

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 PM

God Bless every one who gives to others.
There has been so many pros and cons on this topic. I can see both sides. I think we should be thankful that A child,not the child you thought would get a quilt. Sometimes we are too wrapped up about what WE want,maybe this was the way it was suppose to be.
We donate,we my husband works for the fabric and I sew the quilt. We give to the charity that we think will most need it and then it is in GOD"S hands to who receives it.
When I give a gift and someone chooses to give it to some one who likes it better I am not longer upset by this. The person gave it to someone who could really enjoy it and maybe that brought them Joy ,I have learned that if I brought them joy by sharing my gift then that is a gift too.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by irma tapia View Post
. . . I have been making Quilts For Kids for about 3 years. Last year I made 100 . . .
Irma, you're my hero. I started making quilts for QFK last year. I've only made a few, but this year I am trying to do one a month for them.

Tate
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Default no more quilts for kids!!!

I have made about a dozen quilts for this organization. I will no longer do this. They ask for donations, claiming an expense of $10 per quilt for distribution. I mail 2 for $10 (priority mail). I could save if I sent them parcel post. I cannot beleive it costs them $10 PER QUILT to distribute. I did e-mail them to verify this figure.