Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Kids Surorise >

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 AM

I'm just thinking, the doctors child or the lawyers child would probably appreciate a quilt just as much as the child of the person who has been on welfare all of their lives and is abusing the system to get whatever they can for free from whoever they can con. Just as much as it isn't the childs fault what situation they are born into, neither is the child more fortunate responsible for being born into whatever their situation is. I think it's time we stop punishing the person that works hard and lasvishing the child that lives on welfare because of his parents choice. It reminds me of when the company I worked for picked a needy family for Christmas and the family got so much, it even included a washer and dryer. What does that kid tell the neighborhood friends that got one or two gifts because his parents work at low paying jobs to make ends meet and here are the neighbors that never work and they got nintendos and whatever else they could scam from the hard working people. Now, after writing this I debate, should I delete and just forget it? I'm sorry if I offend anyone but please think about the kids. They are all just kids no matter what their parents have.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Now days kids are only hospitalized if they are really sick or having surgery so I think it's appropriate that every child in the hospital get a quilt.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM

I think it's very possible that the nurses told the recipient mom that every child gets a quilt so that she would not feel singled out (say, for being poor). In reality they might not give them to every child.

You might confirm the policy with the nurses on that floor.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM

I think it's too difficult to make a judgement call on this one. The mission statement is vaguely worded, and there is not enough information about the child in question. The child was admitted to the hospital, so obviously there was some kind of issue. If you're unhappy with how this donation was handled, send your donations elsewhere.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

In our Quilt Show Jan 28th, we had a woman bring a quilt to show for the Linus project, she has made OVER 3,000 for Linus project. I give her my scraps.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Bottom Line: It's all about a sick child receiving a quilt and that's exactly what happened! Isn't that why we make and donate them?

I really do not feel the need to know more then this: a child received a quilt made by me!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pburkefox View Post
The Quilts for Kids mission statement has not changed. Yes, every child should have a quilt, but there is a finite number of quilts available, so our thought is that the children in the greatest need are at the front of the line. Having said that, we have no control over the manner in which the quilts are distributed once they leave QFK and arrive at a hospital, even though our policy is well known. In 2011 our wonderful volunteers enabled us to donate almost 13,000 quilts nationwide, and our 85 chapters across the country donated over 10,000. We are a small grass-roots organization and rely on donations and volunteers to comfort as many children as we can. With about a million children hospitalized in this country, obviously we can't reach every one. Please visit our website www.quiltsforkids.org to learn more, check out our Facebook page, and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Sincerely,
Pam Fox
I'm going to go out on a limb here. As stated above, QFK can not control what a hospital does once they receive the donation quilts. QFK's mission has not changed. In the instance that originally started this discussion, we have no way of knowing all the circumstances surrounding why this child was given a quilt. If, in fact, that partiacular hospital has enough quilts to go around for all the children there, then hooray for them - it's a beautiful thing. If you, as a quilter, would prefer your charity work to be handled differently that what was done in the original situation if that was not your understanding, then perhaps doing some digging into your charity of choice practices is needed.

Personally, I do work for QFK. Not as much as I originally intended, but what I can. If I am not mistaken the founder started this organization because her child had been hospitalized with a serious illness and received a quilt for comfort. The founder was so touched by someone else's thoughfulness and generosity that she wanted to pay that effort forward. And has done an amazing job, I think. I will continue to support this organization. It makes me feel good to do something for someone else and I get to do something I love to do in the process.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM

How do we know that maybe that quilt was 'redonated' from a family of a QFK child?! I don't think it's for us to judge 'where' it came from or to whom it went to, no matter the label. Am sure the new quilt owner is warmed by it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes things happen for reasons that are unknown....you never can tell with "random acts of kindness"...I would call it "meant to be" and continue to quilt for your charities. One of the reasons I quilt is because I know the finished product will bring comfort.....Who knows where a quilt will end up on it's journey through life. All children need comfort and love, no matter what their background or situation. Sometimes those who look like they need things the least, in truth need the most. Happy quilting.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pburkefox View Post
The Quilts for Kids mission statement has not changed. Yes, every child should have a quilt, but there is a finite number of quilts available, so our thought is that the children in the greatest need are at the front of the line. Having said that, we have no control over the manner in which the quilts are distributed once they leave QFK and arrive at a hospital, even though our policy is well known. In 2011 our wonderful volunteers enabled us to donate almost 13,000 quilts nationwide, and our 85 chapters across the country donated over 10,000. We are a small grass-roots organization and rely on donations and volunteers to comfort as many children as we can. With about a million children hospitalized in this country, obviously we can't reach every one. Please visit our website www.quiltsforkids.org to learn more, check out our Facebook page, and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Sincerely,
Pam Fox
Ugh!! I am trying to go to the site ya listed here to get more info and get involved but I only get the following message:
"Site Unavailable This website is using an IP address that is no longer valid. Please have your website administrator contact support for more information."

I would like to get more info and even get involved, is there a way to do that other than this link?

If you are the site administrator, updated IP addresses are available in your control panel.

Additionally, please verify that you do not have this IP defined in your HOSTS file.