Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Kids Surorise >

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Quilts for Kids Surorise

Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM

I think it's wonderful that they have enough quilts to give one to every child.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 AM

The Quilts for Kids mission statement has not changed. Yes, every child should have a quilt, but there is a finite number of quilts available, so our thought is that the children in the greatest need are at the front of the line. Having said that, we have no control over the manner in which the quilts are distributed once they leave QFK and arrive at a hospital, even though our policy is well known. In 2011 our wonderful volunteers enabled us to donate almost 13,000 quilts nationwide, and our 85 chapters across the country donated over 10,000. We are a small grass-roots organization and rely on donations and volunteers to comfort as many children as we can. With about a million children hospitalized in this country, obviously we can't reach every one. Please visit our website www.quiltsforkids.org to learn more, check out our Facebook page, and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Sincerely,
Pam Fox
Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 AM

I know this conversation really boils down to the mission statement and I understand but as someone who has makes quilts for this organization I am thrilled that all children receive a quilt. Being in the hospital is scary for the kids that are aware of what is going on and terrifing to the parents of the ones that are too young. A quilt is a comforting distraction from the beeps, shots, smells and all around sterile feeling of the hospital.

I am sorry you were tweaked about it but not feel bad either if the quilts are being given away willy nilly and a truely sick child misses out because of it than the issue needs to be addressed. As a volunteer at the hospital can you not find out where and how the quilts are being handed out? Maybe someone who doesn't get it might just give the quilts to the peds. dept and move on without explaining the program.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Our guild make and donates about 25-30 quilts per month to the NICU (neonatal) at local hospital.
Also to the Veterans at Christmas about 250 -to 300 per year. Very rewarding for all of us.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 AM

I make charity quilts for babies in a local group and we do not give quilts to the local hospitals as they will give a quilt to every baby born (could be a doctors baby or a lawyers baby) and so we do not give them quilts as we feel that we would prefer our quilts to go to those in need. Guess it depends on the hospital and the charity group.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 AM

I've made Quilts for Kids for the past year - 4 or 5 or them a month. The reason I decided to do this was that I knew where the quilts were going - to the University Children's Hospital. I also donate to my quilt guild - usually 1 a month. They go to the Salvation Army. The reason I favor my local Quilts for Kids is that these kids are sick and need comfort. While the Salvation Army does a terrific job, I've worked and volunteered in organizations in the community and know that there are families that know the rounds - and make them like clockwork to get what they can get free. It's not that they necessarily need it, it's that they feel like they are entitled to it. I like the idea that some child that needs comfort is clinging to a quilt that I made.

Last edited by kydeb; 02-01-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 AM

It could be that the nurse told the mother (of a child with a life threatening illness) that 'all' children get a quilt...so the mother wouldn't be reminded of the severity of the illness.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
What everyone has said is correct, about all kids deserving a quilt. However the original poster's question was based on her understanding of how this particular organization distributes its quilts. The stated mission of QFK is that the quilts go to kids who have life-threatening illnesses, or who have been abused. If this is not the case, the mission statement should be changed.
As a donation quilter, I totally agree. I often wonder just HOW the quilts are given out.....when I donate to Linus, I have a choice as to just where I want my items to go........whereas there is a local group that I also donate to and the person who runs this is very aware of just where her quilts/blankets etc are needed and thus distrubes accordingly......

Last edited by joym; 02-01-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM

I think this is a great thing, I collect and make quilts for a local foster home and each kid leaving there gets one. They love to curl up in a quilt and they know someone cares.

Cookie64
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by hperttula123 View Post
I don't know how it works or if every hospital is the same. I do know that my daughter has been hospitalized a few times in the last year. She has gotten two crocheted blankets and a pillowcase. One of the volunteers that came in asked my daughter if she was an only child or if she had brothers and sisters. She told her she had one brother and one sister. They had little hand made bags with a small activity book and a few crayons and fleece blankets for them too. She said that they are all donated from a group of ladies to make sure all the kids there get something nice.
I am thinking each hospital has their own way of doing things. Maybe they have alot of quilts donated to the hospital you are volunteering at. I see your point though. They should change their statement.
As for my daughter, she has Crohns and we will never know how many times she will be hospitalized. Now we bring her "hospital quilt" and pillowcase so others can have them.
Thank you for being considerate of others.....