Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on a Stick >

Quilts on a Stick

Quilts on a Stick

Old 09-01-2018, 08:20 PM

we've found that we get the most participation when the BOM is a simple one that does not require lots of distraction from other projects members are working on. We use some for charity quilts and raffle the rest each month to those that participated.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:03 AM

Love the name of this project and what a great idea for starting it--A block that fits on a stick. A paint stick is a "good" measure and what a good use of a stick that is already made standard. When my husband was in a care facility, I wanted to brighten his room with a hanging for the month or season. Now I use those seasonal hangings at home. None was very big so are easy to store and to get out to fill a spot.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM

I tried to revive out BOM at my guild. We have over 90 members, and I am luck to get 5 blocks from members, and at least one of those is mine! Unless someone volunteers for next year, it will go away.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:37 AM

Is this the problem for all organizations in today's world.? Members are more likely to join only to be entertained than to actually participate. But then another thought on BOM--what to do with those blocks after they are made? Are members hesitant, thinking those blocks will become UFOs?

Let's go back to my earlier post. Perhaps think on donating such wall hangings to various facilities for decorations in residents' rooms. Being on the stick, they are ready to hang. Of course, they need to be seasonal or at least cheerful--something you'd like to put in your own home.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:58 AM

Our guild has become more of a social hour, seems like we've all done that, been there kind of thing. We just work on our own projects. One of the members brought in a paper pieced Christmas Tree wall hanging, many of us fell in love with it. Just about all of us ended up making it. Same thing has happened when someone brings in a new tote bag, zipper bag, ornament, fabric box, etc. It's like a vending machine, if you can see it they will buy it. We have made small charity quilts, placemats for meals on wheels, quilts of valor, maybe we're all just burned out.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

rjwilder...our guild is also becoming a social event...and that's okay. We come together to share our love of quilting. We love our show and tell segment and really need more conversation time during this part of our meeting as many questions are raised. We have about 30 members with 20-25 coming on a regular basis during the "school year". We also have a monthly SitNSew.

Last year we had a couple of block challenges. About 3/4 of the group made the blocks but the fiinished projects from those blocks was limited. Another UFO sitting in a pile for some.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I like your paint stick idea for hanging a small quilt. Maybe have participants make their favourite seasonal wall hanging (with paint stitch in a sleeve on back) and when finished, have them voted on. Everyone’s favourite could get a prize?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
our guild is also becoming a social event...and that's okay. We love our show and tell segment and really need more conversation time during this part of our meeting. We have about 30 members with 20-25 coming on a regular basis during the "school year". We also have a monthly SitNSew.
This sounds like my group! We all have such different tastes and styles, it's difficult to pick one BOM that everyone is happy with, not to mention the projects we already have underway. So we pivoted into doing miniature interpretive pieces instead. Each member wrote a theme word or phrase on a piece of paper and we put them in a bowl. Each month we draw one paper out of the bowl and our challenge is to create a quilt inspired by that word. We like the 12x12 quilt challenge, so we decided to make our quilts twelve inches by twelve inches. It's a lot of fun to see how the theme word is interpreted, and 12x12 is a doable size that doesn't interfere with our ongoing projects. Last year a couple of people assembled their quilts into a wall hanging.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Our Guild has not done a BOM for a few years due to low participation. I've been trying to come up with something that may be fun and not take too long to do. I'm thinking of small, mini's - with a paint stick sleeve. I'm not finding much on this (little blurbs). I know I could make up my own rules - but, why reinvent the wheel? Have any of you done this or seen it done?
I think the big thing will be to "KNOW your Audience". Ask around if folks would like to start the BOM again and ask for suggestions from the members.