Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accuquilt Go

Accuquilt Go

I have a chance to buy an Accuquilt Go for $100.00. Never used. Is this a good deal? It doesn't come with any dies as she has another GO and wants to keep the dies for her other one.

For those of you with Go's are they really worthwhile?

I would have to buy my dies elsewhere....any suggestions? And, what are the most useful...strips I'd imagine and triangles at first. I don't applique so those wouldn't interest me.

Any comments, experiences appreciated.

Watson

Hi Watson I bought mine for $199.00 plus tax new. I feel it was worth it but I think you need to consider how you will use it. I don't applique much so I have mostly squares, triangles, and strip cutters. Having said that I've also been known to cut strips using my June Tailor shape cut rather than take out the GO. If you have a dedicated spot for it, you are more apt to use it. It does make beautiful cuts.

I love my GO (electric).

Decide if you will use it first. Do you have difficulty rotary cutting? Hand issues? Dies go on sale at different sites especially during holidays. It seems like a good deal if you are interested.

If not, perhaps a local guide would purchase it for use.

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    I use cutter all the time. The strip dies are great for strips, but also for squares, rectangles and diamonds. The Half Square Triangle dies and Quarter Square Triangle dies are awesome for flying geese...

I bought a Go last year. For me, it's been totally worth it, even though I haven't used it very much. I use the 1.5" and 2.5" strip dies the most, but it really depends what type of blocks you like to make. I also have a number of curved dies (winding ways, drunkard's path, etc), since I wouldn't have the patience to cut that type of quilt by hand.

$100Cdn is a great price. I paid $262 when they were having a 40% off sale. If nothing else, you can try it out, and sell it if you don't like it without losing any money.

Love my Go. That is a great price for a Go but too high for a Go Baby. I have about 100 dies, I lost count. I can adapt about any quilt pattern to fit my die shapes. I like the BOB dies the best (Block on Board). I can cut six complete blocks in one pass.

I ordered a few dozen mats at a time when they are on sale. I haven't had to order any mats in several years. They have gone up in price so I saved a lot of money buying enough to last for several years.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 07-30-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Watson, that's a great price. I paid a lot more for mine.
    I have the best luck buying dies on Ebay- cheaper and free shipping.
    I bought basics like 5 inch blocks, 2.5 inch triangles, 2.5 inch strips etc.
    Good luck whatever you do.

Hey Watson,
    I don't have a Go, I have a Sizzix Big Shot Pro, but I use Go dies in it. If you have things that you cut a lot of, you will love it.

I use mine to manage my scraps since I have very little in the way of storage space. As a result, I have dies that will cut 2", 2.5", 3" and 5" squares.

I also have dies for 1/2 square triangle and found that my accuracy went way up when I started using those dies. It was a life-saver when I was working on my temperature quilt last year that was all HSTs that finished at 2" square.

You can often get dies on sale either from the Accuquilt store on-line, Amazon or Quilt in a Day.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have a " Go Baby" and love it for curved pieces, applique shapes, or for hexies. But l only buy the dies when l'm in USA, and while on sale...which isn't often. They're excluded from coupon deals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
    I use cutter all the time. The strip dies are great for strips, but also for squares, rectangles and diamonds. The Half Square Triangle dies and Quarter Square Triangle dies are awesome for flying geese...
    Ditto......I love mine so much I then bought the electric GO. I seldom cut without it. I have bought the dies a few at a time as they go on sale. there are several threads on this subject you can peruse.

I have the GO BIG. My DH gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago because he knew I would use it. I use it mostly to cut squares from scraps but I do have a few other dies. I've found the best deals on the dies from the Accuquilt.com site but I also have purchased from the Canadian site.
    I do think it's easier and faster to cut strips just with rulers or the June Tailor Strip cut but when it is set up it is very convenient to just use it.
    At that price you can give it a "go" and decide if it's for you. Someone would always be ready to buy the dies and machine together.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

It is worth it if you will use it. I love my Studio which I got on sale. Dies to buy first: Strips and squares, then triangles, then everything else. Buy the sizes you will use most first.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Wow - my friend would love to find a "GO" for $100.00 - just make sure it is not the Go Baby. I have the GO and she buys the dies she wants - and of course I let her use any of mine that she wants. We also do the embroidery for the dies too. Since you are in Canada I don't know about the sales and shipping but I buy them from Accuquilt when they have sales and free shipping.

My first dies were squares and strips. I have so many now and when I started I was not into the appliqué but when they came out with the embroidery side I have done a few. I also like to do English Paper Piecing - and so I bought the the hexagon die. I don't have the Sizzix so can't talk of it - but I love my GO and very happy that I bought it.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 07-30-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love me Go (Big the electric one) not only cause it helps my shoulder/arm issues but it's so accurate! I help with a beginners class and had cut my samples of FG & HST from the Go and when it came time to demo how to square and trim excess--there wasn't any!
    I bought the strip bundle when I got mine--use those strip dies, especially 2.5, 1, 1.5, 2 and 3.5 strips all the time. You can even cut bias binding with the 2.5. I add dies as they go on sale (on the Accuquilt site) and I need them. The Qubes are a good place to start with dies also.

Watson, I forgot you were in beautiful Canada when I mentioned Ebay. Sorry about that!

Blog Entries
    I bought mine several years ago for $199.00 on sale at Joann’s. I basically use it for strips and feel it is worth it. It saves time and $$$$ and my strips are straight! I also have purchased a few other dies that I enjoy. I have the large clam shell and really love it.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've enjoyed my Go cutter. I love the way the blocks go together. I've used the strip dies the most but have a lot of other dies. It's been about 5 years since I bought my Go. I've just added dies as I need or want them and always when they are on sale. I would advise to start slow to see if it's something you will use. I use mine often. And most important it is a good price that you were quoted!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I bought it for $90.00 CDN. The guy didn't know anything about it. It was his Mom's and he was cleaning her house out. He had already sold the other one with all the dies. I was afraid to ask how much he sold that one for.
    Now I need to buy dies. A fellow QB'er has offered me a useful die at a good price to start off with.

Watson

I was glad to find this thread. I'm a real newbie but for the second time. I gave up my first time because I cut stuff wrong and it never lined up!! So now I'm back and the ruler always slides, and I have some weakness in my right arm. I'm starting with a jellyroll but I'm thinking about asking for a Sizzix or an Accuquilt, (not electric) for christmas. Has anyone used both and can compare?

[QUOTE=Ms Morgan;8116169]So now I'm back and the ruler always slides."
    Have you tried the stick on grippy dots on your ruler? Once I placed those on my ruler the sliding issue went away. I also like the Gypsy grip handle on my ruler. It helps to place even pressure on the ruler.

Have both "Go" and "Electric Go"...I mainly use after a ridiculous amt of scrap build up and sick of looking at piles that take up rm. I recently go the Electric since the cranking takes it's toll on hand/wrist/shoulder. I've tried it and I'm sure I'll love it once those piles grow again and I'm sick of looking at them. Otherwise, I still cut all my pieces the old fashion way...rotary...

Blog Entries
    The blocks I make from cutting on the Go are much more accurate than my rotary cuts. i don't seem to use it that much and recently went through the dies and sold the surplus on ebay. That price sounds like a bargain, I bought mine used with dies long ago. I need a plan for my scraps. Just bagged up what was on the cutting table.

I purchased two dies, one form a fellow QB'er and another from Accuquilt along with mats. I've been cutting away at scrap tumblers and have quite a pile going. The GO is really easy and I've figured that I will need 250 or so Tumblers for a queen sized quilt, so I have a ways to go yet, but still lots of scraps.

Watson

Question Yes tried a alot of thngs

[QUOTE=midwife;8116184]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Morgan View Post
    So now I'm back and the ruler always slides."
    Have you tried the stick on grippy dots on your ruler? Once I placed those on my ruler the sliding issue went away. I also like the Gypsy grip handle on my ruler. It helps to place even pressure on the ruler.
    I've tried rulers with grippy dots, I've tried weights on the ruler, moving my hand and at different tables
    That's how I've come to this conclusion of a Sizzix Big Shot Pro or the Accuquilt Go. I don't think I need electric. I'm leaning toward sizzix only cause I'm told it fits accuquilt dies. Anyone compare?
    thanks
    Ms Morgan

I’ve got sizzix because it was less than half the price of accuquilt and dies are also cheaper. I’ve not used accuquilt dies with it yet but yes they are compatible. The sizzix works great for what I want

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast