Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing >

Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing

Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing

Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM

The 54-40 or fight quilt I am repairing right now has a lot of white 1/2 of the square. Couldn't find any white material so purchased twin sheet from WM for $3. It is 200 thread count and works great. I'm not having any trouble sewing on it. (I hand quilt).
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
RST

>>I like using solid whites for a more graphic, modern style.

your avatar is a great example! is the last row of circles applique?

The quilt in my avatar is all pieced. The little bits at the ends were just snippets and leftovers, but embed them in black, and they look cool and graphic.

RST
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM

White looks neat and clean at first, but I just can't get around thinking about how it's going to look after it's been "loved" a while. LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
White looks neat and clean at first, but I just can't get around thinking about how it's going to look after it's been "loved" a while. LOL
I have an old quilt made in 1933 with white for background.
Before understanding the value of such things, it was loved plenty. Still looks good. Needs a new binding. When taken care of when washed they will stay white.
The quilt was made for my dad and later given to me as the last child at home. Sorry no pics.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
RST

As long as you don't have fabrics bleeding into the whites, I don't have any trouble keeping them looking nice and fresh. Even baby quilts. I think the laundry products available today allow us to keep whites looking good, specially when you work with stable fabrics to start with.

One tip I've learned -- using a pure white batting helps keep your whites looking good. So while I like Warm and Natural for most things, I'll spring for some Warm and White or Quilters Dream when I do a quilt with lots of white.

RST
RST
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Taking care of quilts is not exactly something that everyone knows about. If you don't have children and a housebroke partner whether 2 or 4 legged--a quilt with lots of white would be nice. I've seen a number on them.

Our quilting guild here in southeastern TN does a project we simply call "Pizza Boxes". Those that wish to participate may do so. We purchase 2 yards of material and after washing, drying, and pressing we put them in 14" pizza boxes and with the list of the special project members; the boxes are exchanged at every meeting (2x month) without the owner peeking. The idea is that each member makes a 12" block and when all is said and done, have the blocks already done for a top. One of the ladies is wanting a white on white quilt for her daughter. Obviously the 'design' is all important!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM

I like using white in my quilts. It also gives handquilting in particular a wonderful showcase. I avoid white on white designs as many of them are hard to handquilt through. I just sashed a small quilt entirely in white. The blocks were 9 patches made from a white on white batick and colored batick prints. I purchased the package of about 30 blocks already made from a lady getting out of the quilting hobby. It will make a wonderful Linus quilt.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM

I personally like more color in a quilt. I use very little white. But good thing we all have different likes. LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM

I like black and white just looks so clean & bright.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM

i'm just tired of all those museum-wannabee quilts that use earth tones exclusively. the older quilters used reds, blues, whatever colors they could find to brighten their lives.
the williamsburg look is okay sometimes, but too much of it is boring, imo. i think that's why the pendulum has swung in the other direction. lots of one color against white, or brights on black, like the amish.