Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

I want to tag on to the rag quilt question if I may. Is there any reason I couldn't piece the entire top together and make a regular sandwich without cutting up the batting and then quilt in the blocks with my long arm? Do you have to cut
the batting and do the sandwich?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

well goulash. i wanted to put a photo of mine in here. can't find attachment. anyway i did one with corduroy and cotton squares. maybe 10 inches. i did large X's and did a swirl on the others. started in the center of those sqs and turned and turned them while sewing the swirl. worked well. then put together.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

I did it. My first quilt. I didn't have the time, patience, inclination or talent to make it the traditional way. I made it out of flannel and flannel backing. It was a wonderful quilt. I hate the strings that come afterwards tho!!

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
I want to tag on to the rag quilt question if I may. Is there any reason I couldn't piece the entire top together and make a regular sandwich without cutting up the batting and then quilt in the blocks with my long arm? Do you have to cut
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Good idea to run the hose out the door or go to laundrymat. That way you don't get all the little thread in the drain.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm making a rag quilt for my DGS of super hero's. The cotton prints are real busy and I wanted him to see his hero's easily. So I made my block 16" X 18" blocks. I did do some quilting on them. So far it's working out pretty good. I'm almost done. Will let you know how it turns out. I think I will make 2 more for my other DGS'S. I do hate the lint.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

found browse and added a pic of mine. I actually did large X's in all the squares and swirls over all of them.
Attached Thumbnails corduroy-front-2-copy.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

I made my rag quilt with a log cabin pattern. I don't know if making it bigger would work, but I wanted to say that I didn't use any batting. If you don't have any batting it might not need as much quilting.Here's a picture of mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]291822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0150-rag-quilt-resized.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
This would no longer be a rag quilt. I think you need to start a separate post because longarming flannel is a completely different technique, especially because of the stretchiness of flannel. I would definitely recommend heavily starching the flannel before cutting the pieces for the top; starching stabilizes the flannel so it doesn't distort as you work with it. (This is not such a problem with a rag quilt because precision is not necessary.) Ordinarily I would also recommend heavily starching the backing before creating the quilt sandwich; however, this may not be a good idea if you are longarming. There is not reason why you can't create a traditionally sandwiched quilt out of flannel; however, there are special considerations if you are piecing flannel and longarming flannel.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Hi, I love rag quilts made with flannel. As suggested by others going with a bigger block will work if you do more quilting. I did a rag quilt for my oldest sun and quilted pictures of his favorite things in each block, after I first went around the perimeter. This can also be a time to use some of the decorative stitch's in your machine. Have fun with it and let your creativity lead you.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 PM

when i first took a quilt class it was a rag quilt and we made it 9 in to finish out at 8 in we used flannel and we didnt use batting it was plenty heavy i still have it although my dog put a few holes in it when she was a puppy. i planned to fix it but never got around to it or unburied my leftover squares but i will.
carla m