Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Default Rag Quilt Question

I have made many using a 7 inch square that finishes up at 6 inches- my sister has done some that are 8 inches finish at 7- what is the biggest size you have used ? is there any reason not to go larger ? The reason I ask is I don't have a quilt or heavy blanket for my bed , bought some flannel today from Joanns and was hoping to make one quick LOL do you think a 12 inch block finish at 11 would work ?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

You could certainly do a 12-inch block; however, you probably want to take into consideration the combined limiting factors of batting, distance between quilting lines, and the shrinkage characteristics of flannel. The usual X in the middle of the block might leave too large an area of unquilted sandwich, allowing the flannel to shrink disproportionately to the batting. In addition to the large X, I would quilt a box in the middle of each block to provide enough quilting for the larger expanses.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 PM

I agree with prism. Maybe an X and then a diagonal line through the x and a horizontal line. Sort of like a snowflake
Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM

I have been working on a rag quilt and added a sandwich border strip 7 1/2" wide and length of quilt. I stitched a long free motion design of loops lengthwise and some going across. I will rag the edges.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

I agree...I have done a spiral before and that can look pretty good, but it does shrink up your block more than an X with extra lines would. Please, will you show us when you are done?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 AM

I made a rag quilt for my DD and used bigger blocks (cut 13" to finish 12"), layered up all of the blocks and did free motion in the main part of the block, then finished the quilt. It turned out so cute and really helped me improve my fm on my home machine. Also used the fusible batting and the lettering on my sewing machine to put her name and little saying on the blocks. It took a little while to do, but was such a fun project.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Yes you can!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
Yes you can!!!!
. Love your Santa avatar!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Block size is usually kept small so you don't have to quilt in the block.
Making larger blocks would require some quilting in the block.
Blocks are usually kept small to avoid quilting in the block because denim is very thick and
harder to quilt. Personally I think the smaller blocks 6/7 inches look the best.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Default rag quilts

I just finished two rag quilts (my firsts). DH cut me a 10 square out of a hard linoleum and a smaller one 8 1/2 for the thermolam I used. I was able to do a 49 block quilt in one day. But it does push you to get the clipping done. I did sew x's and tried to keep the stretch the same direction when piecing the blocks. Did straight stitch on the first and zig zag on the second when sewing together liked (zz) the best. On one tutorial I did read that your batting should be 1 3/4 inch smaller that your flannel square, but I got along okay with 1 1/2". Getting ready to make a lap quilt for my Mom. ps.-- DH bought me a long hose extension to fit to the drain hose and when ready to wash these 3 items will run the long hose out the door and down the driveway.