Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 11-25-2010, 06:48 PM

When I made one for my DGD when she was younger, I only used 2 layers of flannel, and it was still pretty heavy. At least in Georgia, didn't need that extra layer.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 PM

I just now let my 11 mo old snuggle with his rag quilt made from just 2 layers of flannel. It is heavy and snuggly and has become his favorite blankie! I wouldn't give it to him earlier b/c of the strings. Now that it has been washed several times, it doesn't string much. Oh.... I did not wash it at home until the 4th wash!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
You should check with the hospital that they will take them - most want all the seams sewn tightly. The raggedy seams would get caught in the equipment and such :lol:

And they don't recommended raggy quilts for infants because of the lose threads - even healthy children
I would think that the lint would be an issue also. Even after being washed and dried several times, ragged quilts seems to shed more lint and small pieces of thread. These sweet babies could inhale some of this lint.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm just finishing up one that I used 2 layers of Moda Christmas flannel. It's plenty heavy, and I didn't use batting. Planning on ending it to a cousin in Florida.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM

For rag quilts, I use two layers of flannel - no batting. It is plenty warm yet not heavy. - Cynthia
Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM

i also have made a couple for babys but have washed them 3-4 times before giving. i also snip mine very close together and it doesn't seem to have many loose threads. the first one i made with three layers of flannel. second one with two. i prefer the two layers because it is not as heavy and bulky.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:52 AM

I prefer using all flannel. It rags up great, and you can gets some interesting shading in the rag part by using different colors for the "batting" piece
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM

When joining rows together on a raggy quilt,do you sew the seams flat or press them open? Does one way affect the raggy look more than the other? Also, flannel makes A LOT of lint in the washer AND dryer. It has been suggested to me that raggy quilts should be taken to the laundramat instead. Anyone do this and how do the quilts turn out then?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM

I was wondering the same question...using 3 flannels together BUT not as rag quilt....just a regular quilt with some hand quilting here and there?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tcquilter
When joining rows together on a raggy quilt,do you sew the seams flat or press them open? Does one way affect the raggy look more than the other? Also, flannel makes A LOT of lint in the washer AND dryer. It has been suggested to me that raggy quilts should be taken to the laundramat instead. Anyone do this and how do the quilts turn out then?
It is best to sew a row together and then clip the seams. Sew the rows together and then clip the seams. Sew the outside and clip the seams. Experience has taught me to sew each time with a straight stitch and then again with a small zig zag.
When sewing the blocks of the rows together there is no problem with the seams, but when sewing the rows together I believe it is a matter of personal preference whether sewing the seams flat or not.
YES to the laundromat! They have commercial, industrial machines and can withstand the heavy lint. It is far more economical to pay at the laundromat than have your own machine and dryer serviced.