Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilt ? >

rag quilt ?

rag quilt ?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
Get the Fiskars rag quilt snips. They make it easy to do while you're watching TV.
I was given a pair of those Fiskars rag snips by a quilting buddy. Have even nipped others' rag quilts for them. And I have arthritis in my hands/fingers! Cheaper and easier that the AccuQuilt Go, which I can't even turn.

ali
Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
Ditto on this. I got so that I'd cut a whole bunch of different fabric and put together blocks and then put them in a bin and then when I needed a quilt in a hurry I'd pull out the bin and pick out blocks that went for what I needed boy/girl, etc. If I have time I also have the Baby die and the insect die and I'd applique designs on the back for the baby to play with before it's big enough to use the other side. I get a lot of rave reviews for my rag quilts and making them this way saves me alot of rushing.
SO, tomorrow (Mon) I'm going to my LQS and ask how much they'll charge for cutting my rag quilt squares.....OR wonder if she'll just let me do the work and cut my own. i think it is a GREAT idea to have a bunch of them made up and stashed ready to put together a quilt at a moment's notice ! The other 4 rags that I've made I've sewn together in an afternoon and spent and evening or afternoon snipping them while watching tv ! I could get really excited about having the pieces ready to go !

Thanks for the suggestion !
Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Originally Posted by romanojg
Ditto on this. I got so that I'd cut a whole bunch of different fabric and put together blocks and then put them in a bin and then when I needed a quilt in a hurry I'd pull out the bin and pick out blocks that went for what I needed boy/girl, etc. If I have time I also have the Baby die and the insect die and I'd applique designs on the back for the baby to play with before it's big enough to use the other side. I get a lot of rave reviews for my rag quilts and making them this way saves me alot of rushing.
SO, tomorrow (Mon) I'm going to my LQS and ask how much they'll charge for cutting my rag quilt squares.....OR wonder if she'll just let me do the work and cut my own. i think it is a GREAT idea to have a bunch of them made up and stashed ready to put together a quilt at a moment's notice ! The other 4 rags that I've made I've sewn together in an afternoon and spent and evening or afternoon snipping them while watching tv ! I could get really excited about having the pieces ready to go !

Thanks for the suggestion !
Before I got mine the LQS here charged about $20 an hour. It is so worth it. You can get alot done in that time. What I would do is get the measurements from them as to how wide the strips should be so that if you have them pre-cut you'll have more time to just cut. If they have the large cutter then you can cut more than the 2 to 3 recommended for flannel. Good luck. FYI. If you use batting for the batting (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't) you can also cut this on the cutter but not with the rag die. You don't want the snips in the batting.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
Originally Posted by athomenow
Get the Fiskars rag quilt snips. They make it easy to do while you're watching TV.
I was given a pair of those Fiskars rag snips by a quilting buddy. Have even nipped others' rag quilts for them. And I have arthritis in my hands/fingers! Cheaper and easier that the AccuQuilt Go, which I can't even turn.

ali
These will beat Fiskars. The absolutely best I've ever used for cutting rag quilts. You won't know how great they are until you use them.
http://www.allcraftsupplies.com/spri...ips-6-1-2.html