Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt? >

Rag Quilt?

Rag Quilt?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Default Rag Quilt?

I am going to make a rag quilt from a kit. It instructs me to cut the squares 10" with a 9" filler (I've used a flannel). My question is about the washing. Can I do it safely in my home washer and dryer or should I try to find a commercial place to do it? Any suggestions about doing this or anything else regarding sewing this together will be appreciated. Thank you, in advance, for your input....
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM

I've always done them in my washer at home without any problems. You can also do them with fleece. You don't get the fraying but it curls at the ends; still a cute look. You can make the blocks the size you want; I think mine were a little smaller but the filler is about an inch smaller. You sew an X thru them before sewing them together. I keep a tote of different ones sewen together for when I need a quick gift. I've also had print on one side and solids on the other and then appliqued designs on the solid side. Do a search here and you'll get tons of tips on this. Good luck on it.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM

I have made several rag quilts and just used my home washer and dryer. There is so much lint that comes off them that if I was going to make a quilt that was larger than lap size I would use a commercial washer and dryer. One thing I have learned is that after you get them all clipped and before you wash them put it in the dryer and run it a cycle dry. You can get a lot of lint off them that way and it will save your washer. Good luck and remember the closer you clip the nicer the ragging will look. I usually clip closer than 1/4 inch.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM

I've always washed and dried them at home. Just make sure to set a timer and every 5 minutes, clean out your dryer's lint trap! They shed like crazy!!! If you would kindly post a picture when done, we'd love to see it!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Forgot to mention that when I do make my rag quilts, I tend to sew the whole thing first, then have it set up on an ironing board close to the bathroom. I make a deal with myself that every time I pass it I must snip at least 2 sides of one block. I usually get to snipping and lose track of time. I end up snipping a lot more than 2 sides!!! There are rag quilt scissors at JoAnn's. They make it so much easier to do all that snipping!!! With a coupon, they're not that expensive! I also snip closer than 1/4"!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
JT

Just be sure if you are doing a denim rag quilt, that you use a commercial washer and dryer. Ask me how I know....$100 for washer repair.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I have only made lap-size rag quilts, and I did them in my home washer/dryer, but there is a lot of lint and I know many people will advise you to use a commercial facility. I always make mine from 2-3 layers of flannel and never use a smaller filler. I cut all layers the same and rag them all, and I make the squares small enough that no additional quilting is required (especially since there is no filler that could shift around). I highly recommend the spring loaded scissors. They will save your hands. Be sure to post a picture of your quilt!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JT View Post
Just be sure if you are doing a denim rag quilt, that you use a commercial washer and dryer. Ask me how I know....$100 for washer repair.
The last time I used a commercial washer and dryer it cost about $100! No more dollar a load from when I remembered them. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

It depends on your home. I live in a very old home with very old sewer pipes, after a $100 dollar plumber bill I don't wash rag quilts in my washer anymore.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
mem

Funny...had this discussion last week with a woman at quilt guild who'd just finished a flannel rag quilt and another who had owned commercial laundromats. The one with the laundromat background said never to wash them (the first time) in a home machine because of the amount of linty stuff that will go into the drain...apparently can clog it up bigtime. She said many laundromats with attendants will not allow you to use their machines with new rag quilts because of the drain clogging issue...she'd had experience with that at some of her locations and had had to install new/larger drains. She did tell us which local laundromat allows washing new rag quilts. I would have expected a lot of lint in the dryer, but I never would have realized that the washing part was such an issue; if you've done it successfully at home then I guess you've got a larger than usual drain or you were just lucky .