Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-organizing help needed >

Re-organizing help needed

Re-organizing help needed

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM

My husband installed wire bins in my sewing room closet. I love these bins. They slide out with ease when looking for fabric. They are airy and allow for circulation. With my fabric in the closet I don't have to worry about fading.
The bins do come out if you want to take them completely out, I've never had the need to remove them.
Having my fabric in the closet leaves more space in my small sewing room.
These bins were purchased from Lowes, reasonably priced.

Last edited by Pieces2; 06-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

I recently purchased 2 different cabinets from Ikea. One was similar to this (although mine had 2 large drawers at bottom). http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09876652

The other one was a 1 door Pax system. This you could customize. So I put 3 wire baskets in the bottom and 5 shelves up above. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...94/#/S99895236

Both of these are considered wardrobes so they are deeper than book shelves. However, they are not the same depth. The first cabinet was for children's wardrobe. So it is only about 18 inches deep (interior). The the one is about 23 inches deep (interior). I got the 2 different ones because of the size of the space I was trying to fill.

Originally my fabric was wrapped on comic book boards and stored in bins. I thought about bookshelves with doors. Then I realized that I had a lot of other quilting related stuff that would not fit on standard bookshelves. So I bought these cabinets and refolded all my fabrics for the depth of one of the cabinets.

This is working better for me. The 'clutter' is behind doors - which pleases my husband. And the fabric is stored by color. With these cabinets I still have room for some 'bins' which contained everything for some UFO's.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM

homedeopt now has bins that have a clear plastic "door" on the side so that you can see in and open them up when they are all stacked up. I have a couple but use them for books in my basement storage room. they are great. maybe think about those for a bit and you can also get those metal shelves and stack them on there. you can make the metal shelves just about any height that you need. if you can get an armoire that would be best or cabinetry or something with doors and shelves in it that is best I find for anything really. post a pic of the area with an idea of what you are thinking of doing and maybe you will get better ideas.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Default open-weave snap-together bins for storage

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I believe I have seen storage units made of open weave wire covered in plastic. They would allow you to stack fabric etc. inside the units without it falling through unless it is very small and allow air to circulate also. The fabric would also still be visible which would save a lot of digging. You may have inspired me to try reorganizing my stash using such shelving. If actual shelving is not available perhaps you could just purchase a lot of the plastic milk carton like bins and stack them on their sides to create your own shelving unit.
I built my storage from these bins (5 high by 7 wide) and gave up after the whole thing collapsed twice, nearly killing my cat. The problem is separation, especially at the bottom; then, if you try to adjust a single unit, the whole thing collapses. I now use prefab cubes and comic boards to store my fabric. No glass or cover in front.

Puzzler
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Hi, DianneK, A cheap way to use open back shelves and not lose fabric would be to buy nylon screening and tack it to the back of your bookcase. It would allow air to circulate and nothing would slip down from the back if you tack it well along each shelf. Nylon screening is easy to handle, and is inexpensive.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

I use a tall dresser with deep drawers. I fold the fabric to fit drawer and put them on edge, I can see all of the fabric at a glance. It also keeps the dust and light out. You can get a bunch of fabric in one drawer, better than storage boxes that are heavy. Works for me.
Jothesewer
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM

IKEA offers Billy Bookcases for which you can also purchase doors to close them up. Very reasonable and come in a wide variety of finishes for very little $$$. Check out their website for choices available - you won't be disappointed!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 AM

I have bought 2 chest of drawers each one has 4 long drawers and 2 smaller ones - works like a treat have all my rulers and other bits and pieces on top
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Lots of great ideas!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have *always* stored my fabric folded on shelves inside an armoire with the doors closed.
Each shelf holds one or more stacks of fabric by color (depends on the size of the shelves) and I just lift out the whole stack of 60-90 fabrics (about 12-16" high) when I need to audition a color.
They are protected from light, fading, dust, dirt, mold, and 'loss' (really misplacement!) by this method.

My collection probably has over 800-900 different prints/designs of fabrics even though some are less than 1/3 yard. As fabrics cost so much and I have an extensive and even older collection, I look at them as the largest investment that I have made in my art. Therefore it is worth the cost of proper storage to me. Check out second hand stores for good armoires.

Jan in VA
I am with you Jan, i have 2 armoires, one has all shelves, one has shelves with 2 deep drawers in the bottom. I got them from JCP catalog in the bathroom furniture section. I also put my folded fabric in clear plastic shoe boxes without lids so I can see what I have and have needed to stack a few of them.