Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-organizing help needed >

Re-organizing help needed

Re-organizing help needed

Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
IKEA offers Billy Bookcases for which you can also purchase doors to close them up. Very reasonable and come in a wide variety of finishes for very little $$$. Check out their website for choices available - you won't be disappointed!
I use Billy bookcases. The first one I got the glass panel doors. When I got the second one, I opted for the opaque panels (plastic) so the light doesn't fade the fabric and I can hide some clutter behind them. Very inexpensive.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have *always* stored my fabric folded on shelves inside an armoire with the doors closed.
Each shelf holds one or more stacks of fabric by color (depends on the size of the shelves) and I just lift out the whole stack of 60-90 fabrics (about 12-16" high) when I need to audition a color.
They are protected from light, fading, dust, dirt, mold, and 'loss' (really misplacement!) by this method.

My collection probably has over 800-900 different prints/designs of fabrics even though some are less than 1/3 yard. As fabrics cost so much and I have an extensive and even older collection, I look at them as the largest investment that I have made in my art. Therefore it is worth the cost of proper storage to me. Check out second hand stores for good armoires.

Jan in VA
Great advice Jan. I have never looked at my stash that way. Think I will up grade my collection with better care.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM

I have spent a lot of time losing the battle of storing my fabric stash in a way easy to access it when needed. The best tip ever was on this board about using the comic boards to fold and store fabric. The tutorial was easy to follow and it is easy to see the fabric as well as put it back on the bookshelf after auditioning it. (almost as easy as taking a book from the shelf and putting it back).
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I have had a 4 x 6' cabinet, couldn't see the stacks in the back. I had about 6 or 7 clear big plastic tubs. I had to move them around all the time. Not very easy to pick out fabrics for a quilt.
Our oldest Granddaughter moved out and I took over her room.
I now have my fabrics on wire shelves in two large closets. Fabrics are stacked and I can see all the fabrics at once. I like this setup the best.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
My DM and I invested in Sauder storage cabinets many, many years ago and never regretted our choice. They are about 70"X 18" and have adjustable shelves and latched double doors. (Forgot...I think they are 30" wide) I have four of them, side by side and wish I had room for the other two that are stored(full of fabric) at DM's house. Don't know if they are still available. Have to assemble is only "Yuk", but not too bad.
This is the same thing I use. Love to open when I'm sewing, and close when I'm done.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM

I use a variety of baskets to hold "works in progress"....one project to a basket and I keep the baskets on shelves. This way, all the pieces and instructions for each project has it's own home and I can take down a basket and work on it when I want to. It helps that I'm a basket consultant for that famous Ohio co!! Have tons of samples I've bought over the years...and they look awesome together on shelves.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM

I have several types of storage, but for my ufo and projects to be done, and Large yardage, I have 5 drawer metal file cabinets that I bought at garage sales and painter them to match, I put the projects in ziplock bags and file.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM

I inherited a china cabinet with glass doors drop down writing area and 3 draws. I was going to use it for my books.. But the shelves in glass part are toooooo narrow. So I folde fabric to the width which will fit. See colours through glass and sunshines on it to improve colours.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM

I have the sliding wire baskets from the Container store. I also have 2 metal shelving units above the drawers where I have put wicker baskets, and IKea type wooden storage. I love the baskets. I fold the fabric and have separate drawers for my whites, blacks, greens, pinks, reds, purple, turquoise and yellow. A couple of the little skinny drawers have some flat stuff like steam a seam and applique patterns. I also have 1 drawer that is for tools since my husband seems to glom onto any he can find!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM

Just an idea:
We had a blank wall and filled it with Home Depot unfinished kitchen cabinets (obviously not finished yet in this photo), stacked. Holds lots of fabric
Attached Thumbnails image12.jpg