Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-purposing >

Re-purposing

Re-purposing

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM

The rubber mat for exercise equipment (The kind that has like puzzle piece edges) I put two pieces together on the 6 foot table I use to sew on and put my machines on less vibration and noise.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...e-Mat/11089966
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM

I snagged a Hallmark card display once. It hold all of my rulers. Nothing is too deep so it doesn't get lost in the steps.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
The rubber mat for exercise equipment (The kind that has like puzzle piece edges) I put two pieces together on the 6 foot table I use to sew on and put my machines on less vibration and noise.

Oh, I'm adopting this one!:)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM

We still have a Jenny Lind crib in the shed that I want to do something with. I have a junk room that I'm going to turn into a sewing room and I was thinking of rigging one side of the crib between two tables or cabinets and hang fabric from it.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM

my friend uses door stops under the rear of her machine. she really likes the tilt. says it is more comfortable on her shoulders.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Oh, Oh, you can get the same type thing at Big Lots. It's call puzzle mat flooring for your garage (to stand on while working, etc.) About $8 for 4-5 pieces.

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM

I have three items that I have re-purposed and have helped me with my quilting.
I work for a local architect and keep all the empty rolls from the acid free paper we print on. These rolls are then used for rolling my finished quilt tops on to (the smaller one that are 36" wide. Then I bag them in the acid free plastic the rolls are shipped in and store them until I'm ready to actually quilt and bind them. I have also promised my quild to bring in the extra rolls for others in the quild to use. Sure makes it nice when you get ready to quilt and bind them. If you roll them on nice and tight there will be fewer crease to press out when your ready.
I also took a metal ring I once used to hang my belts on and now use it to keep my bigger rulers and straight edges together on hone hook on the peg board wall unit my DH made for my craft/quilting room.
Also, at the end of my cutting table I've ducked tape a pillowcase - this is where I toss all those little scraps that I won't be able to use. When the pillowcase is about 2/3 full I stitch it closed - fluff it up - and deliver it to our local shelter for the kitties and doggies to enjoy.
And as for pdcakm's friend, those doorstops are backsavers. I use them when I'm on retreat. Being all of 5'2" and short legged - tilting the sewing machine just a bit makes all the difference in the world for me.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM

I like to use a shoe storage bag that hangs on a door for things like rulers, patterns, ribbon, ect. Keeps them organized and out of the way and I know where to find it. It is also easy to see what is there. Another good thing is pencil boxes. I got a bunch on sale for .25 a peice on clearance and use them to keep my different attatchments for my two different sewing machines so I don't mix them up.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Oh, Oh, you can get the same type thing at Big Lots. It's call puzzle mat flooring for your garage (to stand on while working, etc.) About $8 for 4-5 pieces.

That's even better, like that price, thank you.:)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM