Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re-purposing >

Re-purposing

Re-purposing

Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM

I use a child size ironing board next to my sewing machine.
Just the right height and is very handy. No more jumping up and down to press those seams.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM

I see where a lot of you are useing different kinds of slotted racks for storing rulers but my question is, won't they warp if left like that. I always lay mine down flat on a table when I'm not useing them. The building I sew in doesn't always have the same temperature. If I'm not sewing I don't keep the heat or air on unless the temp outsied is to the extreme. Just curious.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I have an old carousel that was used for kitchen utensils, bought it at a garage sale and I use it for all of my scissors, cutters, anything that will stand up and fit in the slots.
I use a similar one that was originally designed for a desk top. Mine has little shelves as well as the stand up slots. Holds just about everything that I may need at the sewing machine .. .and the lazy susan part makes it pretty slick on the access!!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sassy granny
I see where a lot of you are useing different kinds of slotted racks for storing rulers but my question is, won't they warp if left like that. I always lay mine down flat on a table when I'm not useing them. The building I sew in doesn't always have the same temperature. If I'm not sewing I don't keep the heat or air on unless the temp outsied is to the extreme. Just curious.
I wouldn't think you should have any worries about your rulers.

The cutting mat is a different story ... keep it flat!

Quilters have been known to ruin their when taking to classes. Sun coming thru car windows can be very hot ... and a mat not laying flat can become warped very fast! :(
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Radiana
We still have a Jenny Lind crib in the shed that I want to do something with. I have a junk room that I'm going to turn into a sewing room and I was thinking of rigging one side of the crib between two tables or cabinets and hang fabric from it.
A LQS uses antique cribs to stand bolts of fabric in!! Another has an antique wooden cradle for the sale fabrics.

Which reminds me ... At a garage sale last year, I bought a lovely colonial wooden baby change table for my sewing room. The top works perfect for setting in progress projects to the side, along with the assorted fabrics. I found wicker bins/baskets that fit the shelves, and store separate projects in each. Once filled it has lost it's baby look!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

I like the door stops idea, thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 AM

More of a dual-purpose: My friend stands up her guest bed frame and uses it as her design board. When she has guests, she pulls it down. Like a Murphy bed, but she ha no cabinet for it. It just stands freely.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM

I use a tool box with wheels to transport my machine and quilting supplies: it holds rotary cutters, machine manual, several pairs of scissors, needles, pincushion, extra pins, pencils, tape, ziplok bags, etc.

Bonus, it is freestanding and also functions as a small work area beside my chair when closed, a small cutting mat fits on its top for use in marking HST's or making small cuts.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 AM

I had several racks that hold folders etc. from the office when we retired. They're great for holding rulers.

Shoe boxes for patterns and fat quarters sorted by color.

Those who have had cataract surgery use those blue zippered cases to carry small accessories to class.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 AM

some things tht i re-purpose:

Small Pizza boxes to hold 12" blocks for a project. I used scrapbooking paper on the front of the box to mke them pretty.

Chrome dish drainer rack for my smaller rulers.

a cheap microwave cart, with padding i made for the top, for pressing small things next to my sewing table.

"Command" strips/hangers on the back of my sewing room door to hole my cutting boards.

cardboard fabric bolts from Joanns, (free) cut in half, to hold my fabric, anything over a yard.

6 drawer stackable scrapbooking paper holder, the bottom one is on wheels, i stacked the other on top. to hold threads, bindings,graph papers..etc. got them at Joanns with 50% off coupon.

i use the "NaNavigator" from "crop and style", rolling tote to carry my janome jem sewing machine. Michaels used to carry them, i used 50% off coupon, ended up costing me about $30 bucks. MUCH cheaper than a quilters rolling tote!

I am sure there are other things, i just need to get up and go look around my sewing room!

sneaked out of the husbands garage at one time or another:

a T-Bar
(long aluminum ruler used for straight line cutting of dry wall)
for squaring up longer quilt sides.