Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reactions to receiving quilts.... >

Reactions to receiving quilts....

Reactions to receiving quilts....

Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 AM

The strangely funny reaction I got from one recipient was, "Oh you would have done this while you were watching TV anyway..."and the nice and surprising one was from my nephew, who has hung it on the wall at the head of his bed on a hanger he proceeded to make upon receiving it.
As you say, we do it because we want to, so my satisfaction is in the giving as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 AM

I have to say that I'm thrilled when someone loves the quilt I made for them, and am disappointed if they're not. But, seriously, unless someone specifically asks for it, I try not to act like it's a personal attack if they don't like or want it. I remember too many knitted things from old great aunts that I received as a kid that I'm SURE took lots of time and effort, but I sure didn't want.That being said, you'd hope that someone would have the good manners to at least appear appreciative. (I remember writing the thank you notes for those knitted things - wonder if they saw through me??)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
I gave lap quilts to the younger neices and nephews this year also Back in October the fifteen year old neice was here and stated that she didnt want one so----------- I didnt make her one Why waste my time----- At my mother's she got a present from her parents that she had to open in front of me-------- In that package was a sewing machine and gift card for fabric She had decide she didnt want a quilt I had made but one I taught her to make -----Made me cry she did
What a wonderful surprise!
My 4 year old DGD opened hers this year, said thanks, but no real reaction. Then a couple of hours later, after presents were over, she was on the couch under it, and said "This is the most beautiful blanket I've ever seen. I am going to sleep with it every night FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!". And then went on to ask if I had enough fabric left to make one to match for her "baby". Made my day....
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

[quote=she opened it up looked at it and proceeded to look at me and say finally . you finally got around to making me a quilt she then shoved it back into the box and set it down on the floor and walked away [/quote]

I know it was hard to see this reaction (and it was very rude) .. but it sounds like she was maybe hurting beforehand because the other 2 got theirs earlier and she didn't? So the reaction maybe wasn't to the quilt itself but the situation. I would talk with her about it....after a while....or maybe with her parents at least. Not sure she realizes why it took so long.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
. My new DIL seems to love all the hand-made things I give her, no matter how funky.
I love your Avatar ... I'm assuming it's one of your hand made treasures. It makes me feel good everytime I see it ... I am compelled to sit and admire it.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I never would expect a thrilled reaction from kids that young unless it was a toy they wanted. It doesn't mean they don't like it, though. Kids usually have so many packages to open, half the time they don't even look at what is inside. Think back, would you have been excited to get a pillowcase and quilt for Xmas? Most kids don't even get excited about new clothes.
I have a 7 yo, then have a 7yo niece, and 2 8yo nieces. Grandma made them all quilts for Christmas this year. They squealed, screamed, and jumped around with excitement. Those girls were more interested in those quilts then with any of the toys they had just gotten. I had to wash(sensitive to moms detergent) my daughters right away because she wanted to cuddle with it. She carried that quilt around for 2 days then finally decided it was replacing the one I made on her bed. She was also given a homemade doll cradle and bedding for the cradle and a mini quilt to match here's for her baby. She was happier with all the homemade items then with the bought toys.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM

I made 2 large quilts for my nephew and his fiancee and sent them to the kids at their grad school in Indiana in the fall. My nephew had requested a quilt as his college graduation present, and wanted it in his school colors. Well, a month went by and I called his mother, my sister, to see if they had received the quilts. Several days later I got a phone call from the nephew saying thank you and that they loved the quilts. I was a bit hurt at the delay because I spend many hours and quite a bit of money (both backed with yards and yards of red Minkee!)and the fact that I never heard from the fiancee.

Well, here's the end of the story...the kids travelled to Pittsburg just before Christmas to see the fiancee's family, and they took both quilts to show her mother and grandmother. I was so surprised! Apparently the family raved about how beautiful the quilts are. The next thing I know, I received a framed photo of the kids on the sofa with their quilts. I was SO HAPPY to know that they liked their quilts. Sometimes we just don't know how much it means to someone when we give a gift like that.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Well this was not a gift but it was a reaction to my quilts. We went to have our christmas celebration with my family which I only see this once a year as we live far away. So I brought 2 of my quilts to show my sister and brother. One was my horse quilt I have worked so hard on since May. Actually is not quilted but the top is pieced. Anyway, when I showed them the reaction from my brother was like....what is it....and he had nothing to say. Just shrugged his shoulders. I was planning to make him a quilt this next year to give him as a gift next year and in fact have already bought some embroidery designs I was going to use on it but now am really wondering if I should go to the trouble. I did make him a pillow this year. I machine embroidered Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus on it with the words Holy Night and my brother could not tear his self away from the derned football game to even look at what I made them. Hurt my feelings although my sister really liked her pillow.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

Loved your honesty...you really never do know what the reaction will be--but it is good to hear from another quilter. When I give mine, I have to feel good about the giving. I'll have to admit though, the reaction tends to determine if there will be another quilt coming.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM

I made a large "I Spy" quilt for my 2 1/2 yr old great-nephew. I knew when I made it that it wasn't going to be a present that would get him excited when he opened it. BUT his parents had a jumping fit!!! They were both so excited and thanked me a million times. I think it bothered them that he showed so little reaction. I said to them, "Don't worry...some day it may be meaningful to him but for now, just teach him to play the game." I don't think we should expect "kids" to be excited over quilts. I look at it that I'm making something that someday may be special and remind them of me. It was a joy to make it for him.