Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reactions to receiving quilts.... >

Reactions to receiving quilts....

Reactions to receiving quilts....

Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 AM

Last year, I made quilts for several family members as gifts. The reactions were varied as well, although I wasn't there when any of them actually opened them. However, on Christmas Day when I went to my parents' house, neither of them said a word about theirs. :( They won't be getting another since I guess it's not their thing.

This year, I gave my quilt that I entered in the guild's bi-annual quilt show (which won 1st place) to my in-laws. When we went to their house yesterday on Christmas Day, I was cleaning up some dishes in their kitchen when my MIL told me to come with her. She took me back to their bedroom and showed me that quilt she had already put on their bed. She said she couldn't wait to get it on her bed when she opened it. :) She then hugged me good and went and called others in the family back to look at it. Yes, I see more quilts in her future. :D
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 AM

I hope that some year I'll be able to give quilts as gifts.

But my dad gave my mom one about 40 years ago and she put it in the closet - she did not want the kids to get it dirty and know it's the grandkids. I told her what good is it in the closet - USE IT!

She knows that I useally give homemade gifts and if they are not used - no more homemade gifts and she really likes the towels with the top I make her.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 AM

I gave a Christmas quilt to my BIL (not my favorite guy) and made it with fabrics I knew he would appreciate. When he opened it on Christmas day at my home, he wrapped it around himself and left immediately. It took him 2 days to return and he tearfully told me how much he liked it. He is not a person to show emotions easily, but I certainly didn't expect him to walk out on Christmas day! It's still being using today. You can't always go by the immediate reaction. If you enjoyed making the quilts, then they have already done their job. Lena1952
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 AM

I began seriously quilting after I retired and my grandchildren were all quite small. I decided I would make each one a quilt when he/she turned 14. They all knew this and each one really looked forward to their quilt. It was like a 'growing up' gift for each one and they are all much-loved and well-used. We have 9 grandchildren. Now they each look forward to their wedding quilt with enthusiasm, and have also gotten 'drag to the beach' quilts in between. I have just about saturated the family with quilts!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 AM

I gave my 15 year old and 12 year old granddaughters their grown up quilts as Christmas presents. I just wanted to see their reaction, as neither of these quilts are ones that a teener would go for. It was a hoot, I loved the look on their faces and how they struggled to act inthused about them. I did explain later that these quilts will mean more to them in 10 or 20 years. And that they should keep them stored in the pillow case they came in. And, if they think of it, to take them out once a year and refold. As I am 70, I felt I had to give them their grown up quilts now. Who knows how long these tired old eyes will be able to see all those small stitches. Then I gave my two daughters each a quilt derived from the Quilts of Gee's Bend. One daughter is going to hang hers over their bed and the other daughter was kind of quiet about it. But I loved doing them and giving them.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 AM

I made a embroidered and quilted flannel quilt for my daughter for Christmas with the color scheme of her home and though I wasn't there when she opened the box, she seemed appreciative on the phone and even realized and mentioned that it matched her color scheme. I have made fleece throws for my grandsons in the past and they have been loved and used.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Speaking of quilts although not a Christmas gift, my little grandson who is now 4 years old is very attached still to his quilted blankie that was made for him. The third satin binding is going on in a bright lime green to go with all the quilted frogs. My daughter has dubbed the quilt PRECIOUS like in the movie Lord of the Rings. Manys the night my SIL has gone out into the cold to come to grannies to get that blanket. He has already laid claim to one patriotic quilt he calls the one with the stars. Oh that every recipient could be so appreciative!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 AM

My kids got afghans for Christmas this year - I finished the older one's three days before Christmas! Well, since the weather was getting ready to take a turn for the cold, DH and I decided to give them their afghans a couple days early to help keep them warm. Nic - the 8 yr old - looked at his like "What is this?" Colton, the 5 yr old, pulled his out of the bag and said "Awww". At first I was afraid they wouldnt like them at all, but the next day, Colton brought his out with him and wrapped up himself, his brother, and his daddy with it to "keep them warm". He loves that thing. Haven't decided yet if the other hasn't done that with his because he doesn't appreciate it as much, or because either Colton or Daddy's afghan is already on the sofa. :-D

On a similar note, when I gave their Daddy (my DH) his afghan, he certainly appreciated the work that went into it - he watched me make it, after all. But then it pretty much got put in the closet. Didn't think much about it then, because it was approaching summer time, but then this year, when it started getting cold, out came the afghan. A few days ago he looked at me and said, "You know, this keeps me a lot warmer than I thought it would." Had me smiling for three days straight.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
Originally Posted by jgriinke
Here is my Christmas quilt story. I made two lap quilts. One for a man in the family, it had like 50's pinup girls on it with winter stuff - skis, snowshoes, and stuff like that. The other was for a woman in the family. Kind of neutral - greens, browns and mild teals. Well, we draw numbers to see who goes first, then do the choosing thing. #1 goes, then #2, if #2 wants what #1 has, then #1 picks again and so on.
Well, my brother(crazy in a good way) of course wanted the girly one(flannel), and the war was on. My niece who loves to downhill ski wanted it because of the skiing stuff on it, then my Mother wanted it because it was nice and soft. It was just a hoot. Then the other one was opened and it started all over again. The back of the woman's one was hydrangeas. My SIL loves those flowers, so she wanted that one. She did like the front. It was just too funny. Then my Mom wanted the womans one. This went on for the longest time.
Well, my brother was thrilled - they ended up with both quilts. He was like a little kid. So was my SIL.
It made it worth the work that I put into them.
I was lucky that they were wanted by everyone this year. Sometimes you just don't know. I guess I will do this again next year, but I WILL start them much sooner.
Hey, if I start looking at my stash and patterns, I could have them done in no time..... ;-)
That is an swesome idea for that game! Haha...cause you know somebody in the group is going to love it and fight for it and you know it goes to a person who really will love and appreciate it! Love the idea!
We did that a couple years ago, and I made throw of flannel. The girls (women) were fighting over it because it was so "cozy". Another gift was a 1/2 day at a spa; and most of them were having a hard time deciding between my throw and the spa.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I sent my latest scrappy log cabin quilt to my SIL. We had been out of touch for a very long time, and just recently reconnected. Her reaction was huge and joyous. I know that she will enjoy and treasure that quilt, and I'm happy just knowing that she has it.