Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Read this today and it brought a tear to my eye.

I was once young and dumb and felt the same way. Then I grew up and realized that a home needed to be warm with personal things, not cold like a magazine picture. Perhaps this young mother will some day grow up and regret letting go of the personal things.

Fortunately I was sentimental and just kept the personal things in a closet until I realized their worth.
    Shirley in Arizona

It is hurtful when people don't appricate our quilts. But I think it is important to remember why we quilt. I quilt for the love of making quilts. My quilts are like my children that once sent out into the world have a life of their own. I have pictures and memoriess of each one and thats enough. The rest I have no control over.

Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by cpcarolyn View Post
    It is hurtful when people don't appricate our quilts. But I think it is important to remember why we quilt. I quilt for the love of making quilts. My quilts are like my children that once sent out into the world have a life of their own. I have pictures and memoriess of each one and thats enough. The rest I have no control over.

I saw a small lap quilt at a garage sale, asked (very casually) how much it was. $2.00. I grabbed it! It was a panel, but the quilting was hand done and the theme was cats....I had to have it. No information about it, but I love that little piece of art and it is safe at home with me.

I, too, would have snapped up as many of those quilts as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    Just a few weeks ago I purchased an old, very used quilt for $1.50...... priceless treasure, well worn and still lovely, in the double wedding ring pattern. It is now on my couch for "couch potato days" for any and everyone to use. I feel as you do, hoping my children and grandchildren will cherish the hours and days I've put into those quilts.

My veteran brother in law asked me to make him a quilt a couple years ago......was happy to do so. Made the red and white pinwheel pattern with blue stars sewn on the edges for his service to our country. He said he was going to be wrapped in it when he passed; made my heart sing; he lives in an assisted living colony with his wife and has shown everyone there this quilt, he seems very proud of it and I feel blessed to have given it to him.

delma
    What a lovely story of a truly appreciative giftee. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
    I was once young and dumb and felt the same way. Then I grew up and realized that a home needed to be warm with personal things, not cold like a magazine picture. Perhaps this young mother will some day grow up and regret letting go of the personal things.

Fortunately I was sentimental and just kept the personal things in a closet until I realized their worth.

I, too, have gotten rid of things I'd give anything to have back. When I was a child we lived in a very small house with no storage space and my mother encouraged me, I think, to pass things on that I'd outgrown or didn't use anymore. She was especially big on passing on toys, as she did my clothing, to younger cousins. During this time my paternal grandmother made and sold boy and girl cloth dolls. She dyed the body fabric herself, sewed and stuffed the figures and dressed the girl doll in a ruffled gingham dress with a white pinafore, and the boy doll in striped overalls, and a gingham shirt, all of which were handmade, of course. She embrodiered the faces and made the hair from yarn. She was an excellent seamstress and the dolls were beautifully and perfectly made. She let me choose which I wanted and I chose one of the boy dolls (premonition? I'm the mother of three sons!) I loved the doll and played with and admired it. But eventually I outgrew dolls and was encouraged (and was willing) to give it away to a younger cousin who still played with dolls. Now that I'm grown (more than grown!) and sew myself, I'd give anything to still have that beautiful doll completely handmade by my grandmother.

So now, of course, I keep too much of everything. Whoever said it's all about timing was absolutely right.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Brought tears to my eyes. A while ago my neighbor's niece made her a quilt. The neighbor is going blind and can see very little but has been learning braille. The niece has labeled the quilt in Braille through out the quilt with French knots (she also embroiders) She labeled the quilt in German because of their heritage and she has a very strong German accent also the neighbor. Any way my neighbor was running her hands over the quilt the other day and discovered different bible verses along the binding. I just thought it was a beautiful way to bind a quilt. A lot of love went into that quilt. Her niece also made a journal and took close up photos of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Wow! This made me cry. I always think about how much time , effort and love that goes into a quilt.
    SHIRLEY

I made a quilt for my sister and gave it to her for Christmas. She called a few months later and asked if it was washable - because her son "wet" it. I was thrilled. At least I know she's using it!
    I sew, therefore, I am.

That breaks my heart. I'd have bought every single quilt: then asked the name of the quiltmaker and labeled them with as much info as possible.

There are any number of institutions that would love to have donated quilts ......
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I have two daughters, both grown. Daughter #1 has a boy almost 3 and a girl 20 months. I made quilts for her two when they were born. To my knowledge, they never use them. Daughter #2 has a 5 and 2 year old and their quilts are used daily. The 5 year old has obviously out grown his but insists on sleeping with it every night. I plan on making twin size quilts for them all because only the girl is still in a crib and they need twin size. Hopefully they will use them, if not, it's their loss.

I've enjoyed reading the many good philosophical comments and confessions. I too must confess that I didn't have a mature appreciation of old things when I was young. Not until my late 50s early 60s. But my family had nothing handmade to hand down. My grandmother's quilts were used and their house burned when she was 85 and all was lost. I envy those of you who have family treasures. My mother traded her first sewing machine in for a new one in 1957, so I didn't get her first Singer 66 (I think). I do have her Singer 401 and I treasure it. Now, I'm quilting and I will wait until my sons and or wives indicate that they would like to have a quilt. I have made all my great-grands baby quilts and their mothers have been so thrilled and have taken pictures and posted on FB. (They are all scattered in the US and overseas)
    jean

I recently made an "original" quilt, appliqued to look like a child's drawing of flowers with each "flower" being a letter to spell out the girl's name, large sun, butterfly, a bee, lady bug, and caterpillar. It was a thank you gift to a single father (of a 3 yr old) Who recently did some major work for on my sick computer for FREE. He didn't even know me! I had hoped he would let Vivien use the quilt. Well, boy does she use it. It is her "cloak of protection" hiding under it from the cats and puppy or anything/one else that may be looking for her. Our mutual friend was recently at their home on a 95 degree day and said Vivien was wrapped in that quilt the ENTIRE time he was there. No matter what she was doing/playing, she was wrapped in that quilt. I was thrilled and could just picture this darling child enjoying her quilt. I hope she will love it for years to come.

Sad story! My DH loves even my charity quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
    How on earth did she walk away. I'd have bought every single one of them--------up to my pocketbook yelling for help! Not really because they were cheap, but because they needed someone to love them.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    Sad story! My DH loves even my charity quilts.
    Consider yourself lucky. My hubby just threw away 2 quilts he got from his aunt when she died----at the age of 100. I didn't know it until I asked where they were.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Quilts&Angie View Post
    I recently made an "original" quilt, appliqued to look like a child's drawing of flowers with each "flower" being a letter to spell out the girl's name, large sun, butterfly, a bee, lady bug, and caterpillar. It was a thank you gift to a single father (of a 3 yr old) Who recently did some major work for on my sick computer for FREE. He didn't even know me! I had hoped he would let Vivien use the quilt. Well, boy does she use it. It is her "cloak of protection" hiding under it from the cats and puppy or anything/one else that may be looking for her. Our mutual friend was recently at their home on a 95 degree day and said Vivien was wrapped in that quilt the ENTIRE time he was there. No matter what she was doing/playing, she was wrapped in that quilt. I was thrilled and could just picture this darling child enjoying her quilt. I hope she will love it for years to come.

((((((((((((((((((Vivian and her quilting angel)))))))))))
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
    I've enjoyed reading the many good philosophical comments and confessions. I too must confess that I didn't have a mature appreciation of old things when I was young. Not until my late 50s early 60s. But my family had nothing handmade to hand down. My grandmother's quilts were used and their house burned when she was 85 and all was lost. I envy those of you who have family treasures. My mother traded her first sewing machine in for a new one in 1957, so I didn't get her first Singer 66 (I think). I do have her Singer 401 and I treasure it. Now, I'm quilting and I will wait until my sons and or wives indicate that they would like to have a quilt. I have made all my great-grands baby quilts and their mothers have been so thrilled and have taken pictures and posted on FB. (They are all scattered in the US and overseas)

Please don't wait until they ask! I'd never ever ask anyone for a quilt--------although I love them.
    U N T I E

I have very few heirloom things left in my life, thanks to a vengeful ex who willingly and knowingly discarded all of my belongings while I was going through treatment for cancer and a nasty divorce.

Everyone tells me they are just "things" and I know that, but it still makes my heart hurt sometimes. So now, through my new life as a quilter, I will try to create new heirlooms for my friends and family. Hopefully they will treasure my love and efforts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    I have very few heirloom things left in my life, thanks to a vengeful ex who willingly and knowingly discarded all of my belongings while I was going through treatment for cancer and a nasty divorce.

Everyone tells me they are just "things" and I know that, but it still makes my heart hurt sometimes. So now, through my new life as a quilter, I will try to create new heirlooms for my friends and family. Hopefully they will treasure my love and efforts in the future.

(((((((((Tippysmom)))))))))))))))))))
    U N T I E

Niece's graduation quilt

I recently made a quilt for my niece for her graduation. It is an extra long twin for her college dorm. Well, she couldn't wait for college, so she proudly has it on her queen sized bed at home.

After my niece opened the quilt, my other niece, my nephew's significant other and my brother all told me they would all love to have a quilt. I told them I would put them on the list. My brother then said that he would pay me to move him up on the list! He doesn't know that I am already working on a quilt for his mountain house.

I must admit, I was thrilled. I never thought that these very modern, 20 something young ladies would want a handmade quilt. I have learned to only make quilts for those who express an interest. So - I need to get to work planning their quilts.

That almost made me cry!! I often wonder what happens to the quilts I've made for others, even if its a friend or a stranger asking me to make one as a gift for someone I don't even know. If they get used or just stuffed in a closet or thrown out. I would love to think that they get used as much as my kids use theirs, which is basically everyday!
    I wish that I had some of the afgans my grandmother crocheted when she was alive. I'm pretty sure my mom has a few tucked away somewhere that I'll inherit one day

If nobody bought them, she probably threw them in the trash. I would have definitely rescued every last one of them.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I made a quilt for my daughter's best friend's son...I still get the biggest kick out of the then 7 year old, now 11, who told me he hopes I make him a wedding quilt when he gets married, and then one for each of his children when they're born. This little boy was beyond thrilled. He couldn't get over the fact that his name was on the label. Warms my heart for sure!

I, too, would have bought all those "old things" along with the old sewing machine then after paying for the then my treasures I would have told that "modern mom" what she had just lost!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast