Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to cry over my quilting clutter! >

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM

Misty Marie, I think you have joined my club. There are times I just hate to come into my room.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
Love the idea of the apron. Never thought of that. Every time I go out, I have to stop and see how many threads I need to pull off my clothing. And I love the idea of putting things in the pockets. Great tip.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the scissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
Love the idea of the apron. Never thought of that. Every time I go out, I have to stop and see how many threads I need to pull off my clothing. And I love the idea of putting things in the pockets. Great tip.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Cup hooks, cup hooks, and more cup hooks!! Scissors, rulers, needle packages, rotory cutters, basting guns and tabs, anything that hangs on a peg in the store can be hung on a cup hook. They are in plain sight and yet out of the way and readily available. I hang velcro packages, elastic packs all this kind of notions on them. Best of all, you don't have to dig through a drawer to find that little pack of needles you KNOW you bought. It's right there under the shelf on a hook. You'll be amazed at how good you feel just getting all those little things up. Space bags are great for fabrics. I put quilt tops in them until I can get to them. Really adds ALOT of space!!! Good luck and just take one category of stuff at a time.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Just thought of another idea for some things. Nursing homes and Senior citizens apartment complexes enjoy getting craft items. I gave a shoebox full of buttons, beads,etc. to a nursing and rehab facility my dd worked at for their crafting days and rehab center. Threading beads and sewing buttons onto felt squares is great for eye and hand coordination and motor skills for stroke victims. Just a thought for some of those little things.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Nothing will work unless you have enough storage to hold all of your stash and all of your notions.
Your fabric will never learn to hang by itself in the air no matter how many times you tell it to!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by imanoni
I am joining the messy room/house even club...for me, I don't feel iike I am entitled to sew if my house is messy, therefore I don't sew as much as I would like to. I did pay big bucks for an organizer once...My excuses...let see...lost the vision in one eye over the course of 5 years due to a car accident, breast cancer, chemo, and radiation, sick for a year or so give or take with that, broke my arm twice 6 months apart in the same place surgery for that one year ago March 29.. tripped over my dog first, then a car accident...someone hit me I was innocent...Have my daughters birthday next Thursday, I have to be ready by then. It's very discouraging but I don't want anyone to help me...
I think you are entitled to sew anytime you like. You have my permission!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lobster
This thread did at least inspire me to go and dig out an unused canvas box, which is now housing bags of scraps and big pieces of backing fabric, so that there's space in my two big plastic boxes for more fabric (i.e. the stuff sitting around and on the way - I just placed an order). I also gathered together all of the fabrics for an upcoming project and squeezed them into a sort of plastic biscuit container we had spare, so that's easier to move around. Unfortunately, the top of the piano is still covered with clutter, and yes, it's a grand! I'll get there. A lot of it is big stuff rather than basic fabric, and I ran out of space for books a while back.
You so sound like my kind of person. Welcome to the board.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Misty, Im very good @ helping, I just dont have a car right now. lol I love other peoples sewing rooms.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Been there and done that! Taught middle school, went to school, only one kid and one ! husband. It is amazing the things we can actually do when we are still young. Kudos to you and all you do -- Teacher, Mom, Wife, and Quilter!

Lots of good suggestions here. I'd like to add with the thought that Spring Break is coming up. Send the kids to your Mom for a special holiday. Get a friend to come help or just be there. (I can't sit down and read a book if someone is sitting right there keeping me focussed!_

I have been quilting with a friend at her house so have to pick up the clutter (I mean WORK) before I leave. So now I have learned it CAN be done. Also, I have spent the last 6 months recovering from bilateral total knee replacements and living with my son so I have learned to live in ONE room! Now I am moving (sold my house and going into a smaller one) and am determined at age 66 that I WILL BECOME MORE ORGANIZED and have NO MORE CLUTTER! Let's see. If I keep my stuff in cupboards with DOORS on them that will look better to begin with! I have 40 years of stuff to high grade, pitch and pack. Whittle it all down to a manageable amount. Did I mention that I now have STASH in California AND New Mexico?! Wish me luck as I wish you.