Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to cry over my quilting clutter! >

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 AM

I have a daughter in Highland Ranch who is an organized person, she comes home and helps me throw out "stuff, " she can bag it up faster than I can make a decision....later I hardly miss it! But she makes me cry at the time! Sounds like you need her or someone
Ike her!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 AM

I have a possible idea. Maybe ask some of your very organized quilting friends for some tips on how they keep their areas under control. In my case, I don't care! :)
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM

I too discovered those 9 X 13 plastic basket at DolGen. It takes only 30 or so to sort out my fabric but then again, I've been very poor for over a year.

My woodworking brother looked around at my mess and said, "I need to get a hobby like yours that doesn't take up so much room." thud
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 AM

Most everything has already b een said so here's some encouragement. Tune out your mother's voice, maybe calmly tell her that this is your house and your mess and you're working towards taming it. Flylady is a good site and workable program. check it out sometime. your sewing mess didn't happen in a day -it won't get solved in a day. YOU CAN DO IT!!! (i'm in the same boat so I'm preaching to the choir) i wish we lived closer, I'd come help. keep at it and let us know how it's going.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by grugirl
What is it that you use to wrap your fabric on Misty? I have seen those High Dollar wrapping boards but would rather spend my money on fabric. Anybody else using anything different for wrapping their fabric?
The boards are my sister's doing. She owned a graphic sign business, so those are coroplast boards used to make signs. I didn't pay a penny over what the wholesale price of the boards were, so all that (at least four hundred of them) cost me about $100.00. That was money well spent. It was time-consuming, but well worth it. I have a bunch of boards for my one yard cuts, but I haven't gotten to those yet. Right now, many of those cuts are stacked up neatly on a shelf.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by PattyH
I feel the same way. I've seriously thought of giving up quilting and finding something that doesn't include stashes of fabric and tons of notions and rulers. I lost my quilting foot yesterday in a matter of an hour. I put it down and then looked for another hour to finally find it in the pin box. My husband it NOT sympathetic. He says I have NO organization skills!
I understand!
I bought a new foot for my machine... left the store with it...never to see it again. (I think it might still be in my mini-van somewhere!) I cannot justify spending another $20.00 on that same foot... so I just do without.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 AM

This is going to sound like "Tough Love" .... but after you have organized your sewing areas, then is the overlying rule:

DO NOT BUY ANYMORE --- no more fabrics, no more gadgets and no more big machines (the embroidery machine). Do not add any more 'things' to your recently cleaned-up clutter.. Use up the inventory of fabrics, see it dwindle and you'll be happier and less stressed. As it dwindles, do not replace it with more fabric. Keep it dwindling and dwindling. Do not even accept free donations of fabrics... Do not buy fabrics, even if it is on sale.... there will always be more sales.

Right now, you have enough stuff and fabric stashes and do not need to add to it. If your hubby is deployed, then he probably wants/needs you to maintain the home front... I realize that you have a full plate right now, but adding more to that plate will not help you in any way.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 AM

No, I get it. My mom says the same thing... not to buy more when I already have so much.

BTW - With the exception of one or two areas, the rest of my house is clean and relatively clutter free. Keeping up on the rest of the house means that my sewing area suffers. That is my problem. I focus on the rest of the house, since it involves more than me, and let the sewing areas slide.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 AM

my husband hung some peg boards up the other day in my sewing room and suggested I might want to organize a little. I was amazed when I did. I had a lot of repeat items because I had forgot that I had them and couldn't find them. So I know where you are coming from. A little organization is a good thing but you need somehng to inspire you to get started and space to do it in. good luck to you
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM

Take ten minutes at a time. I have 2 daughters with the same problem and it gets so overwhelming that you just do not know what to do so you do nothing. The key is to do something each day even if it is only 1o minuts. Do not put yourself down for only doing that little bit but praise yourself for doing something. It will all get done just takes time. My one daughter did it this way and a few days worked several hours and got a lot accompished.