Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Misty Marie- do hope you're feeling better both physically and spiritually.

I didn't read the whole thread but I get the picture and understand where you're at. Here is my two cents on the deal.I have four different craft that I do regularly. I couldn't not do them if they were not organized. At times one of the crafts get into a mess and I have to consider the other people who live here and out of consideration for them (clue to myself and you)I need to afford them the same happiness that I get out of my crafts and that is not to mess up the whole house. So sometimes I take the whole day to put everythink back before starting a new project.

So, stop buying, stop sewing. Box all the fabric and notions up in containers untill everything is gone. Now hire someone to build you shelving from the floor to the cealing (if you have tons of fabric). Get one small chest of drawers and that will be for your notions, one pegboard for you rulers.

Now think of all the fun you will have putting the fabric on the shelves. You will find stuff you never imagined you had. Group them in color groupings. You will be so happy afterwards to be able to see everything and the rest of your family will be happy too.

This will take maybe weeks but the end result will well worth it all. There is no other way around it. You must do it.

A good thing is never put anything on the floor, put it in it's place.

If it was a neat craft so many people wouldn't be doing it. Get some plalstic containers and put each project in a container and that will make it a little neater. Get drawers for your excess fabric and drawers for your notions. i have a den but I am glad also have an arts and crafts room to sew in. I carry my things back and forth in a shopping cart. My son told me I needed a bigger apartment and I told him if I did I would only buy more fabric. In fact i am going to the fabric store today. i also do alterations for my neighbors and I make hankies trimmed in lace and i have lots and lots of fabric and things. Please don't feel bad and don't get discouraged. :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I'm in the messy club. When I quilt at my boyfriends house I have it all over-cutting in the dining room, sewing in the bedroom, ironing in the laundry or tv room. He is very good about it but I still clean up everything before I stop for the night. At my house I just don't do that. I usually leave to do something thinking I'll get back to it and don't or I sew until I can't see anymore and just go to bed!

This thread really hit home with me. I had an organized sewing room. Then, last year we had a fire. Lucily, I didn't lose any sewing stuff, but the whole house had to be emptied. When we returned, yardage fabric was put up; but there are still boxes & totes in center of my room. I love crafts, so have quilting stuff & crafting stuff.
    I've been telling myself I need to go thru everything and see if I can find room or if I need to discard. Guess I've done what some others have done. My machine is still in sewing room, but I have a card table in the den where I cut my fabrics and my laptop is on. It's so bad in my room, I only have a space to walk to my machine.
    My youngest DD has volunteered to empty the room so I can go thru one box at a time. So, that's my next project. First, I'm going to clean up mess around my machine. Then, I'll have her come over. Her kids are on spring break next week. So, I hope to be ready for her in 10 days. I'm too embarassed to take photos of the current room; perhaps I'll take photos when I'm finished, lol.

This thread did at least inspire me to go and dig out an unused canvas box, which is now housing bags of scraps and big pieces of backing fabric, so that there's space in my two big plastic boxes for more fabric (i.e. the stuff sitting around and on the way - I just placed an order). I also gathered together all of the fabrics for an upcoming project and squeezed them into a sort of plastic biscuit container we had spare, so that's easier to move around. Unfortunately, the top of the piano is still covered with clutter, and yes, it's a grand! I'll get there. A lot of it is big stuff rather than basic fabric, and I ran out of space for books a while back.

I don't like to put fabrics in totes, I like them on shelves in plain sight much better and makes less mess when you need something. I do like sewing notions in small plastic clear boxes in order to keep them sorted according to what I want to do with them. I put my binding leftovers in a box, all of them, and then use them to bind charity quilts. Put all threads in clear plastic boxes for easy selection. Embroidery stuff in another box and thread in a special container. Sure helps to have things where you can find them.

I have been very messy in my quilting hobby but have had our house for sale for 5 months now and have had to always keep it neat and tidy. Hopefully, if the house ever sells, I will keep in my "new" habit but can honestly say I don't get half as much accomplished as I used to!! So, there you have it, the good and bad to "creative chaos.", obviously, nothing is all bad!

Don't stop sewing!! That's what will help to get you out of your clutter. And don't buy anything else. Tidy one corner by your machine so you can sew. Then on saturday mornings, sort out what you want to donate. Take your time, do it little by little, but don't stop sewing. Sewing is for de-stressing. Buying causes stress when it's out of hand.

You can do this. :thumbup:

I had a clutter problem, so I hung a peg board and put most of my notions on it and then I made a behind the door storage
    hanger like a shoe holder and tagged each pocket,with what was in it this held lots of items I do not know how to add pictures or I would. I will put pictures in the picture section.I use drawers for my fabric so I can use the top for a cutting and layering surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Misty Marie, I think you have joined my club. There are times I just hate to come into my room.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
    I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
    Love the idea of the apron. Never thought of that. Every time I go out, I have to stop and see how many threads I need to pull off my clothing. And I love the idea of putting things in the pockets. Great tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the scissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
    I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
    Love the idea of the apron. Never thought of that. Every time I go out, I have to stop and see how many threads I need to pull off my clothing. And I love the idea of putting things in the pockets. Great tip.

Cup hooks, cup hooks, and more cup hooks!! Scissors, rulers, needle packages, rotory cutters, basting guns and tabs, anything that hangs on a peg in the store can be hung on a cup hook. They are in plain sight and yet out of the way and readily available. I hang velcro packages, elastic packs all this kind of notions on them. Best of all, you don't have to dig through a drawer to find that little pack of needles you KNOW you bought. It's right there under the shelf on a hook. You'll be amazed at how good you feel just getting all those little things up. Space bags are great for fabrics. I put quilt tops in them until I can get to them. Really adds ALOT of space!!! Good luck and just take one category of stuff at a time.

Just thought of another idea for some things. Nursing homes and Senior citizens apartment complexes enjoy getting craft items. I gave a shoebox full of buttons, beads,etc. to a nursing and rehab facility my dd worked at for their crafting days and rehab center. Threading beads and sewing buttons onto felt squares is great for eye and hand coordination and motor skills for stroke victims. Just a thought for some of those little things.

Nothing will work unless you have enough storage to hold all of your stash and all of your notions.
    Your fabric will never learn to hang by itself in the air no matter how many times you tell it to!

Quote Originally Posted by imanoni
    I am joining the messy room/house even club...for me, I don't feel iike I am entitled to sew if my house is messy, therefore I don't sew as much as I would like to. I did pay big bucks for an organizer once...My excuses...let see...lost the vision in one eye over the course of 5 years due to a car accident, breast cancer, chemo, and radiation, sick for a year or so give or take with that, broke my arm twice 6 months apart in the same place surgery for that one year ago March 29.. tripped over my dog first, then a car accident...someone hit me I was innocent...Have my daughters birthday next Thursday, I have to be ready by then. It's very discouraging but I don't want anyone to help me...
    I think you are entitled to sew anytime you like. You have my permission!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    This thread did at least inspire me to go and dig out an unused canvas box, which is now housing bags of scraps and big pieces of backing fabric, so that there's space in my two big plastic boxes for more fabric (i.e. the stuff sitting around and on the way - I just placed an order). I also gathered together all of the fabrics for an upcoming project and squeezed them into a sort of plastic biscuit container we had spare, so that's easier to move around. Unfortunately, the top of the piano is still covered with clutter, and yes, it's a grand! I'll get there. A lot of it is big stuff rather than basic fabric, and I ran out of space for books a while back.
    You so sound like my kind of person. Welcome to the board.

Misty, Im very good @ helping, I just dont have a car right now. lol I love other peoples sewing rooms.

Been there and done that! Taught middle school, went to school, only one kid and one ! husband. It is amazing the things we can actually do when we are still young. Kudos to you and all you do -- Teacher, Mom, Wife, and Quilter!

Lots of good suggestions here. I'd like to add with the thought that Spring Break is coming up. Send the kids to your Mom for a special holiday. Get a friend to come help or just be there. (I can't sit down and read a book if someone is sitting right there keeping me focussed!_

I have been quilting with a friend at her house so have to pick up the clutter (I mean WORK) before I leave. So now I have learned it CAN be done. Also, I have spent the last 6 months recovering from bilateral total knee replacements and living with my son so I have learned to live in ONE room! Now I am moving (sold my house and going into a smaller one) and am determined at age 66 that I WILL BECOME MORE ORGANIZED and have NO MORE CLUTTER! Let's see. If I keep my stuff in cupboards with DOORS on them that will look better to begin with! I have 40 years of stuff to high grade, pitch and pack. Whittle it all down to a manageable amount. Did I mention that I now have STASH in California AND New Mexico?! Wish me luck as I wish you.

I made the decision today that I am getting rid of hopefully half of my stash. I have no room and get no sewing done because I am always rummaging around looking for something. Hopefully I can put my projects I want to do in some sort of kits . I have at least 10 projects that I have all the items I need to complete them. Soooo it is gonna be hard but I can sure use the money and I know I will feel better about things when I get it all together.

You most certainly are not the only one. I have a sewing room in my house-stacked on shelves from floor to ceiling. There are two cutting tables yet I have to sew in the living room. I also have a lil' house next to carport with a quilting machine in it. Have had it for 3/4 years and quilted only one piece on. House contains fabric===== I am naturally a "pack-rat: and what I pack is fabric and notions. I just finished a king size quilt top consisting of 5" triangle squares=100 squares. I used only fabric I have fallen out of love with - lo and behold- I really like it and hope to finish it for latest g=grands0n (1 yr.) before he graduates from college.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    I know how you feel, my quilting stuff has really outgrown the space I have. It has migrated to my bedroom closet, my guest room closet, under the beds, everywhere I can find a little space. I have decided that I need to get rid of some stuff and keep just what will fit neatly. I had my fabrics all organized by color, style, etc., and it looked so nice. Then I bought more fabric and started pulling fabrics out to use and things got messy really fast. I could use an organizer too, but don't want to spend my fabric money on an organizer. I am going to retire in three months and getting myself organized is at the top of my to do list for then. Wish me luck.
    That was my goal organize my entire house when I retired. Well it will be a year at the end of April. I keep pulling stuff out my hubby has made so many trips Sal. Army that he is on a 1st name basis. But the sewing room is still a mess, My son is very upset that we put cartons on his deck while he is at work. He is the one that told us to get rid of stuff it was "his stuff"!! Good luck it is so nice to quilt all day instead of going to work. Everyday is like vacation. Enjoy life.

I find see through plastic containers are a big help. I have lots of denim from cutting blue jeans down they go into a big container... Then I have a smaller size and one smaller that it. really 3 sizes, I can see through all of them, So it is easy to put material in and out of. I am a neat freek re: rulers and such. I have a small can from the dollar store that cheetoes came in. I stick rulers and such in there and can see at a glance. My biggest asset is my see through sterlites (sp) could not live without them, great stakables and take little space. But I also do not have a whole wall of materials. YIKES no place to stash it haha... Misty, Good luck on on getting organized. (((hugs)))

Buy some of those canvas sided bins to put the stuff in on your shelves. You can't see through them and they can hide a multitude of sins. They will make it seems more uniform and organized and hide the clutter until you have the time to sort the bins. In the dining room one of those rolling organizers would work. A drawer for thread, and use the big drawer on the bottom for the fabric. I got one at Office Max that has a fake looking granite top, that you could put a cutting mat on or a ironing pad.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast