Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Goodness no, you are not the only one. I think I know where
    it is and then when I go to get it, it isn't there and I am on the
    hunt again.

Take Queen Deb up on her offer. It will help to be organized if you can work with some else to get organized. I however am not organized. My problem being I do not clean up after myself as soon as I quit sewing for the day.

Don't give up. WWe've all gone thru that at one time or another. Take 25 minutes one day and try grouping all your reds, blues, like to like etc. You would be amazed what you can do in 25 minutes. It will inspire you to find another 25 when you can and it will be done before you know it. Good luck and hang in there.

Thank-you for your post, I thought I was alone. I have really enjoyed all of the comments. Thank-you!!!!

Yes my Dear it does take over... No hope for me . Have a sewing room but it all gets nuts in mid-project. The kitchen.. family room.. What can Ya do?!!! Live with it it and enjoy, Fortunately the Hubbin doesn't get pissed.

I put a good pair of scissors away when we were preparing for our annual Christmas ornament exchange as I knew there would be several small children. Has anyone seen them? I can't find them anywhere! I'm not too organized either.

I am joining the messy room/house even club...for me, I don't feel iike I am entitled to sew if my house is messy, therefore I don't sew as much as I would like to. I did pay big bucks for an organizer once...My excuses...let see...lost the vision in one eye over the course of 5 years due to a car accident, breast cancer, chemo, and radiation, sick for a year or so give or take with that, broke my arm twice 6 months apart in the same place surgery for that one year ago March 29.. tripped over my dog first, then a car accident...someone hit me I was innocent...Have my daughters birthday next Thursday, I have to be ready by then. It's very discouraging but I don't want anyone to help me...

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I just moved things out of my sewing room into my guest room, so I could get organized...But now I have company coming , so I had to move everything back...I didn't accomplish very much...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Misty - good luck, it sounds like you've already made some great progress. (And it sounds like you are being a bit hard on yourself, you're juggling an awful lot of plates right now. I teach and I've done the grad school thing but not with a husband who was deployed or little kids).
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I shouldn't have started those classes... but they were free since my husband is in the military and he is retiring in October, so I figured I better take advantage of the free classes.

I already have my masters... but since I need to make a few more $$$ to support my quilting habit, I need to get those classes done. :P

My husband keeps telling me to hire a cleaning lady so I can focus on getting organized instead of cleaning house. I am seriously thinking of taking him up on that!!! It just makes me nervous having another person in my house that is not a "guest" or related to me.
    yeh, you feel you have to clean before the cleaning lady.
    I cleaned houses---but I never cleaned people's clutter.
    I just "cleaned". sounds like you are just trying to get too
    many things done with the time you have. you have kiddos who need & want your time. maybe for just a short time, you need to set quilting aside. you just have too much on your plate. pamper yourself with the gift of time.
    put fabric,etc in lg, clear containers. don't even try to sort for a while. just get it off the floor. then read quilt books & magazines to get your daily "fix" until your life calms down a little. and after the areas are clear==get that cleaning lady for a while. pure luxury !
    Have fun with those Kiddos ! they are the fabric of
    your life right now. love & hugs

No you are not alone. I could have written your message myself a couple of weeks ago. My stash containers had broken wheels so I couldn't move them around in my attic. So I had to buy fabric if I couldn't get to the pattern or colors that I wanted. I had bags and bags of fabrics to go through. My grandkids helped me get all of the fabric downstairs and sort it. My husband fixed all the broken wheels and just last week, I got everything back upstair and put away. It was stacked in my living roon and hall way since just after Christmas. I was just overwhelmed, but today I am sewing for the first time since Christmas. What a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Try Flylady. She helps people overcome that overwhelmed feeling.
    I'll second that idea! :thumbup:

I know the feeling, once it gets away from you, it is overwelming. I can't seem to catch up because I keep buying new fabric. Also because my sewing room is on the third floor, it is very hard to clear the room completely like the experts suggest. I have found alot of notions and rulers I had forgotten I had. One day I'll get back up there.

Oh, honey! I'm such a mess that I named the space "Crapalot". My husband is helping me turn my dd's old room into a sewing room. I'm only going to take up what I'm really going to use. Everything else is going to donation. Then my Crapalot will become my Camelot!

Don't give up! Some of us are organizationally challenged. But you're never too messy to be a quilter!!

We moved and I don't have room for all of mine so I am trying to sew my way out of the clutter. It doesn't look much better at this point but I sure have gotten a lot of sewing done. I do stop and put fabric away when I have a few minutes, but don't stress about it. My suggestion would be don't buy any more until you can get a handle on what you already have. It is hard to be hunting for things and I have gone and bought more too when I just couldn't take the time to hunt for something. Use see through boxes for notions and label them if you need to. That really helps. Use shelves for fabrics and try to keep them reasonably neat. If one section gets really messy, just rearrange that part. Most of all don't stress over it. Do what you can when you can and you will eventually get it done so you dont' feel so overwhelmed.

Blog Entries
    perhaps that's my problem too,. I once again spent all day Sat, organizing the "room" but I just do not have a place for everything, I need a bigger room. My husband is going fishing onSat so I think maybe I could get all his fishing junk of his "cave" and move my sewing right on in there.

Since Hubby thinks it sjust a case of abilities put things in their proper places. Lets see if he can get his fishing stuff if that little room/I 'll have to see if I lkft and move alll his stuff by myserlf.

Strange idea? There are so many lonely ladies in old age homes find out if one would not like to come and help you, I"m sure she would like the outing and a special bit of attention like a cup of tea and cake in a restaurant.

maybe get the family or a few friends and have a sorting party... have snacks and fun going threw stuff assign a section to each maybe just folding and stacking a box for notions to be sorted later you know like the old help me paint or move parties. just a thought...

I know how you feel, my quilting stuff has really outgrown the space I have. It has migrated to my bedroom closet, my guest room closet, under the beds, everywhere I can find a little space. I have decided that I need to get rid of some stuff and keep just what will fit neatly. I had my fabrics all organized by color, style, etc., and it looked so nice. Then I bought more fabric and started pulling fabrics out to use and things got messy really fast. I could use an organizer too, but don't want to spend my fabric money on an organizer. I am going to retire in three months and getting myself organized is at the top of my to do list for then. Wish me luck.

I have spent the last two hours working on my former sewing area (in my laundry room) and don't feel like I made a dent. A few months ago, the mess actually forced me out into my dining room so I could sew without cleaning off my machine each time, but now the dining room is getting messy too because I keep pulling stuff out of my laundry room to work on and don't want to just dump it back into the room when I am done.

I think I am too messy to be a quilter.

I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a room downstairs where I keep a lot of my fabric and my mid-arm frame, but it doesn't have enough room for my machines, so I keep bringing fabric up to use. Lately, I am buying more fabric and notions because I get tired of looking through a mess to find something. I need to hire a professional organizer if I am going to keep quilting because the mess is driving me NUTS and I am not a naturally organized person, but once I get organized, I seem to be able to stay that way for quite a while.

Does anyone else get that overwhelmed feeling about their quilting spaces? (Or lack of it?) Am I the only one who loses their notions and what-nots in a clutter?
    There are those that clutter and those that don't. Viva La Differance!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Misty - good luck, it sounds like you've already made some great progress. (And it sounds like you are being a bit hard on yourself, you're juggling an awful lot of plates right now. I teach and I've done the grad school thing but not with a husband who was deployed or little kids).
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I shouldn't have started those classes... but they were free since my husband is in the military and he is retiring in October, so I figured I better take advantage of the free classes.

I already have my masters... but since I need to make a few more $$$ to support my quilting habit, I need to get those classes done. :P

My husband keeps telling me to hire a cleaning lady so I can focus on getting organized instead of cleaning house. I am seriously thinking of taking him up on that!!! It just makes me nervous having another person in my house that is not a "guest" or related to me.
    yeh, you feel you have to clean before the cleaning lady.
    I cleaned houses---but I never cleaned people's clutter.
    I just "cleaned". sounds like you are just trying to get too
    many things done with the time you have. you have kiddos who need & want your time. maybe for just a short time, you need to set quilting aside. you just have too much on your plate. pamper yourself with the gift of time.
    put fabric,etc in lg, clear containers. don't even try to sort for a while. just get it off the floor. then read quilt books & magazines to get your daily "fix" until your life calms down a little. and after the areas are clear==get that cleaning lady for a while. pure luxury !
    Have fun with those Kiddos ! they are the fabric of
    your life right now. love & hugs
    A cleaning lady can help the house stay clean and uncluttered because it gives you the motivation to pick everything up, because she cleans, not put your stuff away. Get your kids involved if they are old enough. My kids helped me declutter everytime I had a class to teach. I had tons of handouts and freebie gifts that I used. We would set up an assembly line and they would help. Maybe you could use them for a sort the fabric by color game. You fold and they put the fabric on the right pile.
    I don't think you would regret the cleaning lady- especially if you like a clean bathroom. You can hire one for weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc. The cleaning would take one headache off from your plate.
    Another question- do you have a different area to set up your sewing so it is not in the open as much? Or can you get a cabinet that your machines could nest in when you are done sewing for the day? Like a computer armoire?

Last night I watched the show with organizational guy on OWN help a lady with 2000+ pounds of quilting clutter. It made me feel better about my little clutter. One thing I did get from watching that is the need to set a limit on how much I keep. What doesn't fit on my shelves downstairs in my guest room, or in organized containers under my quilting frame, doesn't stay. I have too much fabric that I won't ever use. I have another storage area that has about eight large totes full of non-quilting fabric that needs to be gone too. So... I probably will be giving away more fabric over the next few months.

I also told myself that I wasn't going to start a new project until I finished at least two UFO or WIP quilts first.

Blog Entries
    I halfway try to unclutter,but it's not working.Connie in CO
    PS i have info about Pueblo in the Offline.

I have done the same thing,also, gone out the buy new when I can't find something

Blog Entries
    My mom does that to! My house is never at her standard! lol. Good Luck and I hope the kids feel better and your DH comes home safely.
    Last year, my sister and I got my fabric downstairs all organized. However, I bought more, pulled more out of storage, and was given a bunch more. A few months ago, I brought down a bunch of it to get organized. However, I haven't found much time to do that. My dh is deployed, I have two young kids, I am a full-time middle school teacher, and I am currently taking 15 hours of graduate classes, so when I find a few minutes here and there to quilt, I hate using it to organize.

My kids are both home with the flu today and my mom is coming in a few hours to spend the next couple of days helping me out, so I have been cleaning. My mom is a neat person and she always gives me such grief about not being like her. She drives me nuts when she tries to organize for me, because it always comes with a lecture.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom, so she just doesn't understand how hard it is to juggle everything I do. She tells me to clean instead of quilt, but I quilt to de-stress. However, lately, the clutter is actually causing more stress.

I better get back to my laundry room and keep cleaning. Wah!

My 'sewing room' is so full that I am back to sewing on the dining room table again. Also, the living room couch is a great place to stack fabric. Old quilt magazines make great placemats if your family insists on eating and of course, the good old ironing board never gets put away. I am thinking of donating my living room furnitre (except the tv) to charity so that I will have more room to sew.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast