Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

My clutter isn't just fabric and stuff related to quilting. I have piles of books around, just in case I want to read. I have my needle case in the living room in case I want to hand quilt - but the frame is put away in the closet. I'm an "in case" kind of person. I've been hosting a Bible study in my little house for the past four weeks so each Tuesday everything quilt related gets shoved into the sewing room only to tumble out the next day when I need to get started again. Yikes. I understand your pain. (smile)

You're not the only one who loses notions! I just saw a post about the Clover needle threader and I know I have one of those darn things and went looking for it but can't find it so I am going to buy another. Oh dear.

As for my "sewing and craft room," it has a DOOR and that door stays shut whenever there are guests in the house. I think you know why.

Bless the mess! Seems to me all quilters have piles about. I keep cleaning off my coffe table, but that only lasts a few days. Then there are the piles by the couch. My DH has learned to step carefully.

Art Bins are great to organize single projects. I now have stacks of them, labeled, and can grab what I want. Of course, that doesn't count the rest of my quilt projects--38 or more by now. But who's counting!

Just remember, we're more happy than others who have clean tabletops.

Sandy

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
    I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
    The apron is a great idea! I use one when I'm in the vineyard to keep my water bottle, ties, pruners, and clippers all handy. I could keep my scissors, clippers, rotary cutter and magnetic pin cushion all hand as well. They tend to get lost when I'm cutting.

Give yourself a break. If you get it done, it gets done. If you don't, then continue to de-stress and quilt if that's what makes you happy. I've been where you are and there are only so many hours in a day...don't give up something that helps you to cope.
    I wish you well...and know that there's light at the end of the tunnel; you'll be just fine.

Well I lost my New Cutting Mat so went and bought another one..
    took it home and pounded nails in the wall beside the sewing machine to hang my rulers on and have the mats right below that..
    I looked for over a year for that mat - good thing the next one I bought was a different color...I still have fabric from when my first son was born almost 31 yrs ago... and thats in the dresser that Held his baby clothes...guess I had better get organized too..got lots of clear sweater size tubs for colors of fabrics that stack and they are under the table where the sewing machine is You can see whats inside... and then make a skirt for the table to hide them if you want to...?...well so is every thing else... :-D
    I have loads of books and was gifted 2 nice Quilting books by my Girlfriend who passed away last September...I have picked up some really nice books at yard sales too..Good Luck

Blog Entries
    My area gets kind of messy while I'm on a project, but can't function very well if it gets too messy! I love having it organized to see all of the fabric so much easier. Not anal or a neatnik, just like it somewhat organized.

I empathize. Guest room closet is tiny & filled with clothes that may fit when I change size again. I recently pulled out bunches that I can wear now that I am lbs. lighter again. Tiny one door closet filled with clear boxes full of yarn for knitting group I go to 2xs a month. Make baby hats & blankets & prayer shawls for hospital, grieving etc.
    Fabric from church for charity projects I begin and take back for others to work on (not self starters-they need help & that is part of the ministry) is in the trunk of my car!!! March 14 or so we will go to airport to pick up family coming in for a family event. Trunk must get cleaned out. Right shoulder is in pain since Dec. 29. Think I pulled a ligament. What I mess I created:)

Quote Originally Posted by quilterjody
    maybe you need a quilting buddy to help you. Find someone is in your same situation and help each other out. sounds like once it's done you will be much happier.
    I agree. Sometimes I just need a cleaning companion. I think I just don't like to do the sorting/organizing alone.

I bit this is frustrating to you, but my advise to you is be determined and don't start a single block before you organize all your fabrics where you can see them in front of you without digging and all the notions organized in separate boxes (one for rulers....etc). That's how i do it and have all my stuff in one place except for the fabric in one closet. I also clean and dust the whole sewing room after each major quilt so i can start fresh and neat on a new one (trust me it will pump your spirit to work organized and you will work much better) :) good luck

Blog Entries
    Have sewing will travel.Me to,me to.Connie in CO

I just saw the needle threader too and then was shocked to find the shipping cost was as much as the Threader...so I said I would wait til I find one on sale again...
    Our church makes little quilts and baby blankets ( flannel) for the Rainbow Children's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio... if every one could just make 1 or 2 scrappy quilts a month and donate to local hospital or even to the local fire dept. or Red cross....it would help...

Good Luck finding the Threader I just know you will find it as soon as you buy another....just like I found my cutting mat...about 4 Ft from my sewing machine between 2 boxes...

Blog Entries
    Misty Marie,
    You are to be commended. I too have struggled to maintain control over my quilting empire. It looks like you are on a path to be reign over your space and belongings. I once read an article about McDonalds and how they train their employees to clean as you go. This can be helpful. Additionally, I have read about helping children recognize what they have in their hands and to think about this to help them remember when they put their belongings. As the parent of an ADD child and a husband who struggles with organization I can only say that they have to think about this everytime they use their tools. They create wonderful things and I am guessing you do too. So my hat is off to you for wanting to keep your entire home under control. Keep up the good work. Be sure to send out pictures as you finish up each area. I love seeing your work.

I know how overwhelming it can be. It's like trying to cook in a dirty kitchen!!! One step at a time is all you can do. I started over 4 weeks ago on mine. I'vw been in 4 to 6 hours a day with a day off now and then. I've had my quilt room from the beginning and now am fine tuning it. You learn as you go. It's not the first time. But this time I have vowed to put things up as I get them and when I finish a quilt, cut up what's left into squares or strips for scrap quilts.

Just start on one thing like folding them a certain way so they will stack well together. I use a 8 1/2 x 24 Clearview ruler to wrap my yardage fabrics around then fold in the middle. First I measure then after it's folded I put a label on it with the yardage. Keep all your FQ's in another place. I seperate yardage, FQ's, half-yards and 1 yard pieces. Makes it so much easier. Rome wasn't built in a day. Remember, one day at a time and stick with it and it will get done and you will be so proud. I hate spending time looking for something when I could be quilting or on this board, LOL! Take a before and after photo. Good luck, katie

Are you trying to tell me that all quilters don't have this problem??LOL My husband has been trying to get me to clean up my back bedroom and move my sewing machines back in there for years. But every time I clean house the stuff that doesn't have a regular place for goes in that bedroom. I am lucky I left the door open or I would never get in that room again. My 4 cabnets (from Big Lots) are in there and my 10 crates with fabric are in there so I would never be able to get to my fabrics again. I'm an old woman I need some one to go in there and organize that for me. I had a granddaughter working on it but she only spent one day on it and I just about lost the whole room. Maybe the reason she didn't come back to finish it was she found a dead chipmunk in there. Thank Goodness is wasn't my older granddaughter she would have screamed the house down. My cats love to bring chip munks in to play with. This one must have been hiding out in that room. At least there was no food in there or he wouldn't have died in there. So, don't cry over your quilting clutter. Get a stiff upper lip and decide what you are going to do about it. That is what I have decided to do come h---or high water.
    I am turning 80 on Saturday maybe I have one more chance to get one of the granddaughters to work on it. You think???
    Henri

I have my sewing room, my craft room,and my computer room combined. That's 3x as bad. I just can't get myself to keep it organized. Once I organize, I say I'll never let it get that bad again, but it does. I'd love to have that room all organized.

Blog Entries
    two words: Boxes; Labels.

poor you -- the demands on your time are overwhelming -- good luck -- I feel that way about my house and my yard, but I am making progress a little at a time -- I am impressed with all that you do -- take some time for you

From the answers I have read, you can tell the perfectionist from the non-perfectionist. I am the latter. Can I ever make a quilt where everything lines up, points straight? I don't even cut straight and I try so very hard. I envy the perfectionists in this world. ♥

Misty Marie, I feel for you and understand your problem. The business of life sometimes gets in the way with being as organized as many of us would like to be. I am currently working on re-organizing my house. I finally realized that I was spending just too much time looking for things. I made the decision I want more time! And if I were more organized it would give me more time. Right now it's taking extra time to do the organizing, but I just keep remembering the reward will come in the end. More time for family and more time to quilt!

When you begin, start with One Bag to give to a friend or swap; and about 4 Bags to donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a local Church group. And One Bag to Sell. And train your mind: have affirmations (mantras) to soothe your soul as you work, such as:
    * "I've Loved this fabric/pattern for X many years; now it is someone else's turn."
    * "I haven't brought this kit/pattern to its full potential; so I will sell it, and use that money to complete a project I have begun."
    * "I know someone else needs this piece; I just have to offer it up."

Affirmations like that kept me sane while I 'dematerialized' before my big out-of-state move last year. You can do it. Put energizing music on to keep your spirit up.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
    I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
    I like the idea of the carpenters apron, I just may have to get one of those

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I have spent the last two hours working on my former sewing area (in my laundry room) and don't feel like I made a dent. A few months ago, the mess actually forced me out into my dining room so I could sew without cleaning off my machine each time, but now the dining room is getting messy too because I keep pulling stuff out of my laundry room to work on and don't want to just dump it back into the room when I am done.

I think I am too messy to be a quilter.

I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a room downstairs where I keep a lot of my fabric and my mid-arm frame, but it doesn't have enough room for my machines, so I keep bringing fabric up to use. Lately, I am buying more fabric and notions because I get tired of looking through a mess to find something. I need to hire a professional organizer if I am going to keep quilting because the mess is driving me NUTS and I am not a naturally organized person, but once I get organized, I seem to be able to stay that way for quite a while.

Does anyone else get that overwhelmed feeling about their quilting spaces? (Or lack of it?) Am I the only one who loses their notions and what-nots in a clutter?
    I wish I could come help you, but no can do. What you can do at this point is have a buddy come over. He or she doesn't have to know about sewing, but just having someone there with you can give you the momentum to get going at it. Great if that person knows about sewing, its notions, fabric and stuff, but not necessary. I've been in situations where I didn't know where to start and having someone there to help or advise was most helpful to me. It gave me the push to do it.
    Please don't get down about it and beat yourself up. Take one step at a time.
    Blessings,
    Angela

I have spent the last two hours working on my former sewing area (in my laundry room) and don't feel like I made a dent. A few months ago, the mess actually forced me out into my dining room so I could sew without cleaning off my machine each time, but now the dining room is getting messy too because I keep pulling stuff out of my laundry room to work on and don't want to just dump it back into the room when I am done.

I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a room downstairs where I keep a lot of my fabric and my mid-arm frame, but it doesn't have enough room for my machines, so I keep bringing fabric up to use. Lately, I am buying more fabric and notions because I get tired of looking through a mess to find something. I need to hire a professional organizer if I am going to keep quilting because the mess is driving me NUTS and I am not a naturally organized person, but once I get organized, I seem to be able to stay that way for quite a while.

Does anyone else get that overwhelmed feeling about their quilting spaces? (Or lack of it?) Am I the only one who loses their notions and what-nots in a clutter?
    I wish I could come help you, but no can do. What you can do at this point is have a buddy come over. He or she doesn't have to know about sewing, but just having someone there with you can give you the momentum to get going at it. Great if that person knows about sewing, its notions, fabric and stuff, but not necessary. I've been in situations where I didn't know where to start and having someone there to help or advise was most helpful to me. It gave me the push to do it.
    Please don't get down about it and beat yourself up. Take one step at a time.
    Blessings,
    Angela

OMG yes. I am in the final stages of organizing my stash. I bought way too much at the end of the year with all the sales and it got way out of hand. I purchased the fabric boards and just about have everything wrapped. Still have fabric that must be sorted and folded. I tried to put fabric in groups of themes so I can find what I'm looking for.

I live in Aurora too, around Utah Park. If you'd like to chat about how to save your sanity and your fabric give me a call 303-751-1388. My DH says I'm the most organized person he has ever known, but when am I going to start sewing again. I'm almost there and with each fabric I fold I get an idea for a project and that slows the whole thing down. See it is a never ending process.

Don't give up, fabric is so beautiful and you can do so much with it.

Betty

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast