Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Scary >

Really Scary

Really Scary

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham View Post
I agree with all of the great advice that you have been given. I bought a twin size quilt (it was store bought not hand done) at my local thrift store for $1.00, washed it clean, and whenever I want to practice a quilting pattern I bring out that quilt and practice away. It has worked great for me and I feel more secure starting on my quilt after just practicing on my practice quilt. Good luck, and try to have fun with the process.
What a FABULOUS idea!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I agree with DogHouseMom. PLEASE don't start on a "real" top until you have lots of smaller practice items under your belt. I'm sure that there are one or two naturals out there, but most of the rest of us needed hours and hours of practice before attempting a real quilt.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
My heart breaks every time I hear of someone starting quilting on a real quilt they intend to keep.

All of the free motion quilt patterns take time and practice. You need to develop a rhythm, a "muscle memory", and a sense of where you've been and where you need to be on the quilt - and do it all at the same time. Equate it to somone leaning how to drive a manual transmission with no lessons and starting them at the top of a mountain pass.

Put scraps of fabric and batting together and practice on those until you are comfortable. I have tons of little scrap sandwiches laying around with practices of this and that motif. If there is a new motif I want to use, I'll practice it 3-4 times or more if necessary, before I attempt to put it on my quilt.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
QuiltE, I would love to do that but I am computer challenged. I even have to get help to do pictures. I put the tape triangles spaced evenly on the top. They will end up in the pentagram shape that will be created when you do the simple star line shape around it. You could use other shapes like the price dots for yard sales etc. It is basically to get even coverage of quilting on the quilt. I am slooowly trying to improve my computer skills but it isn't easy.
Tartan .... you do really well! We're all, always learning on this computer stuff! If you could just take a picture of one that's all set up, I'd appreciate it. I think I know what you mean ..... buttttt know how wrong I can be, when I start painting pictures in my mind! Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM

youtube actually has dozens or more tutorials i found them very helpful they start at beginner and go to advanced
start here she can take you a long way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

Last edited by annies-best; 03-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by grocifer View Post
Google Leah Day and scroll down until you see Free Motion Quilt Project. She has done several video's on stippling that are very good. Start with lesson 1 and you will learn a lot. She has been posting one lesson per week.

I second this. Watch her videos and practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 AM

Tartan. Love your idea of using masking tape to keep the stars etc. even. I'm going to try it now.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 AM

Ask around. I know a couple of ladies who use pantographs to quilt quilt tops and they are incredibly reasonably priced. I can get a queen top quilted for around 80.00 or less which is low priced. Simple patterns but works for me.
Sandy
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 AM

I've got lots of practice sandwiches and I always do about 10mins practice before starting on the next quilt.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 AM

A martini works pretty good!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM

They make a paper product you put on your fabric with the stipple design on it, you just sew over the lines.
I tried it once, but too much of a hassle, but may work for others. I don't even try to stipple. Just stitch in the ditch, or diagonally using masking tape. For my gift quilts for family I save, and send them out to a LAQ.
By the time you rip out, resew, rip out, ruin fabric, waste thread and time involved you can pay someone to do the stipple stich and have a professionally looking quilt.