Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Surprised >

Really Surprised

Really Surprised

Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 AM

The lady who manages the fabric dept. at my Walmart is a quilter. She orders great fabric. You have to know your fabrics when you shop there because the also have to carry lesser priced fabric.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by luvmyash View Post
I know a lot of you have quibbles with Wal-mart but I went to a store close to me yesterday and was amazed with the fabric selection and the quality..Yes as the saying says you get what you pay for.. in this case it was 100% true they have fabric from $.99 fat quarter to 7.97 a yard quilt shop quality..You just have to pay attention to what you buy.. I purchased several pieces and brought them home and since I prewash everything I did so with them nothing bled and everything pressed just as good as stuff I had paid 11.00 a yard for, all of these were in the 3.97 to 4.44 a yard range..as a matter of fact 1 piece of it,, there is the same thing at a fabric shop close by and it 9.97 a yard same fabric....Also their counter person there was helpful and polite which is more than I can say for some other.. Again maybe I just happen to be lucky and this store is an exception, but lets all give them a chance with prices continueing to go up we all may have to lower our standards just a tad...I am not a Wal-mart employee or affiliated with them and lord knows I have had my share of problems with them, but ever now and then they might surprise you, as they did me yesterday.....

I agree our walmart has very nice fabric for same prices!!! Just bought some for 3.97yd. and fat quarters for .97. Now the clerks leave alot to be desired though!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 AM

I am a walmart associate but one thing I do know is the higher priced fabric that is sold, in stores that still have fabric, is good quilting fabric. I have projects from years ago that are still holding up under all 13 of the grandchildren.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 AM

We still don't have fabric in our Walmart. They still continue to carry some sewing notions and Machines. But, no fabric. Phooey!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 AM

I agree with you. We do not have a Wal-Mart that sells fabric butwe do have a Hobby Lobby. They have many different quality fabrics. I check quality before I purchase and have never been disappointed.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 AM

Yesterday I went to my Wal Mart. What a surprise I got. They had Batiks. My girl (counter) said they are changing the fabric dept in April.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 AM

The Walmart here in my area never closed their fabric dept, and recently enlarged it. The woman who runs it is pleasant and helpful. There's not much other choice, without driving 75 miles, so I do buy from them.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 AM

I have learned from traveling in ND that all Walmart are classified differently. The fabrics at our store are totally different than the store 90 miles away. We have 2 Walmarts in our town, one on the north side and one on the south side. Prices for dairy are cheaper than the north store because of the people living in the south part of town. So like everything else, it pays to shop around.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM

It seems that the WM's vary from town to town and state to state. We travel a fair amount (full time RVers) and I see some WM's without any fabrics, some that have a nice selection of fairly decent fabrics and just as I do when I go to independent fabric stores, I check the fabric very carefully. I think we all should do that even at JoAnns (maybe I should say especially). It's difficult to be away from areas that have fabric when we enjoy quilting. I just can't seem to get myself to buy fabric online regularly. I enjoy feeling and seeing the true colors. We are lucky in Alabama where I'm spending the winter that we have a Fabrics by the Pound which has quilting cottons by the yard besides the upholstery fabric by the pound. I check it over carefully and buy what I need. $6.29 lb with my quilt guild membership card. Not bad at today's cotton prices.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM

I just purchased 4 different fabrics (same design, different bright colors) to complete a QFK quilt. I don't really go by where I buy it as much as I go by feel. I can't tell the difference in the feel of the one I got tonight and the one from a quilt shop that I already had for the quilt. I paid $4.97 a yard at WalMart. I think you just have to be careful. I've looked at the fabric several times and this is the first time I've found a collection that I was impressed with there and the price was great!