Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Surprised >

Really Surprised

Really Surprised

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM

i totally agree with you luv, we have a few walmarts here and some of them have very very nice fabric. i really like it a lot. in fact, i go there first before i'd go anywhere else to look for something. i wash all of my fabric also as soon as it comes in the house and i haven't gotten anything there i didn't like - except mistakenly bought a couple of those 5 yards for $5 bolts and of course it was so thin i don't think i'll use it for anything but other than that i love our local walmarts fabric selection.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM

my local wal-mart is cutting back to very few crafts & no fabric i was squaring up some expensive quilt shop fabric today and got very upset about the waste. Name brand does not mean any thing today
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I don't want to bash WM but it is so much fun. It is wonderful that they have brought back the fabric dept. I just don't agree with any of their business practices and how they treat people so IMHO I will not give them my money. I make scrap quilts and save my money up to pay more at an independent LQS when I want to make a special quilt. Call me stupid but cheap isn't always better for me, morally and ethically.
peace
I sooooo agree - I boycotted lettuce more than 40 years ago, and I boycott WalMart now - having seen what has happened to the small towns after WalMart came in, put all the local mom&pops out of business, then raised their prices - also, my daughter worked for them for a while, but when she was told one too many times that she was to clock out so she wouldn't have enough hours to qualify for benefits, then go back to work for nothing ... sorry, too many bad practices, too much basic greed on the part of the owners/management - if it's between going to WalMart or doing without, I'll do without, thank you. My conscience wouldn't let me even darken their door.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM

We live in rural TN, now we lost our fabric years ago. We have a big number of amish here. Letters and phone calls were sent. I finally was told to go to the district manager......I did.....never got a hold of her, just her assistant. Found out her home base is in a larger town 1 hr away........so she did not try to get us our fabric back, she went all out in their town, with their walmart getting fabric in.........so I refuse to buy ANY at ANY walmart unless they would have brought ours back..........still angry about the whole situation.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

A person has to watch and look over fabric no matter where you get it. I have gotten some very nice fabric at Walmart.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

I shop many places and even go to Wal-Mart if the have what I want. In talking with the employees they have told me wonderful things about working there, so the local management staff is not always the corporate policy. Sometimes it takes e-mails to to corporate offices to make them aware of what is happening. More than once I have written to corporate offices to make them aware of a bad situation. You would be surprised what can happen if you complain to the big office, especially when they find out you started with the local office.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I shop many places and even go to Wal-Mart if the have what I want. In talking with the employees they have told me wonderful things about working there, so the local management staff is not always the corporate policy. Sometimes it takes e-mails to to corporate offices to make them aware of what is happening. More than once I have written to corporate offices to make them aware of a bad situation. You would be surprised what can happen if you complain to the big office, especially when they find out you started with the local office.
Just to make things clear and not misinterpreted, I have and hold nothing against the people who work at WM. They are just almost making a living just like me. Company policy and the people who carry out the directives is another matter. Enough said,
peace
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting a good and positive outcome. Very refreshing.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 AM

I have had the same experience with fabric and fabric department employees at Walmart in Maine. Be sure to look over the fabric and be sure that it has good "feel". Not all is worth buying but it is certainly worth looking!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 AM

We had a nice fabric department in the smaller store on the south side of town when it went to the super store fabric dept. was cut to a small section and the help is there but not much fabric