Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
REASON for increase in fabric prices? >

REASON for increase in fabric prices?

REASON for increase in fabric prices?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
Oh, no! I thought they printed it here, too! Now isn't that false advertising when they say made in USA??
They do not advertise it as "made in the USA". They are very clear that the cotton is grown in the US and the weaving and printing is done in North America. The label says only "USA Cotton", which is true.

Things change fast, eh, dunster! It's only been since June 2009 that they've claimed the US grown cotton and now they've spread out the rest of their operations to "international"? I wonder if that means further south or overseas? At what point does it become stupid to ship US cotton to distant ports??
Old 05-30-2010, 05:12 PM

I've been on a fabric "fast" since Jan 1. (my resolution was to finish UFOs, and not buy any new fabric unless I need it for a project I'm finishing... until October when I'm going on a quilting vacation. Then all bets are off!) But seriously, I don't buy much anymore because I have such a large stash and can make quilts for many years without buying anything except maybe backing or maybe some background fabric or solids for sashings or something.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Interesting thread. Thanks for the explanations.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:27 AM

Do we do ANYTHING completely in the US anymore??
Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 AM

I have cut down my buying for quite a while now only buying what I need to finish a quilt. No quilt shops convenient to me either I have to combine trips (gas prices) to other stores at the same time. So it a drive to one town about 20 minutes or so away where there is Home Depot and a Joanns in the same pavillion ,they call it, and a Hobby Lobby just up the street.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 AM

My LQS has at least three sales per year at either 30 or 40 percent. I wait for those and then buy. He often throws in other deals as I shop and buy. Well worth the wait!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 AM

I thought that too but I took a closer look at their claim. What it says is, "made of 100% cotton grown in the USA." Probably means that the raw cotton is grown here, then shipped to China, Pakistan, etc. to be made into fabric.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do we do ANYTHING completely in the US anymore??
We quilt. :lol:

I haven't noticed a surge in prices, but I would imagine with the way things are going I won't be surprised when it happens. I can't afford to buy a lot of fabric from my LQS. For some reason none of them believe in having a sale area, except for a small section with the "ugly" prints. Since I am on a tight budget I usually end up at Joann's using their 40% off coupon. I find that as long as I am picky, I can find decent fabric. That said, I did just get some great fabric for a steal off Etsy. It's quality fabric too and I may start shopping more online, where deals are easier to come by.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM

I shop with a group of quilting buddings and we go right to the sales. If it's a special on finishing the bolt then we split it up. none of us will pay full price anymore, we do like to support our LQS's though. I about the only one who buys online, and I only shop sales under $4-5 a yard. Love free shipping.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM

I read about the increase last week on this cite so went immediately to Wal-Mart to stock up. The lady in the sewing section was already puting a $.50 per yard price on all of the bolts. This is sure going to hurt most of us quilters who make things for charity.