Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasonable price ? >

Reasonable price ?

Reasonable price ?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
This type of discussion most usually ends up with people upset at each other. We unwittingly either get into defensive or sympathy mode. Let's sew something or organize patterns instead! What is reasonable for me depends on many factors. And if the price is somewhat high for one extra-special, hard to find fabric, that I have been seeking for many months, I will buy it, and it doesn't mean that I purchase other fabrics at that price.
I have also been known to buy way more fabric than I needed at rock bottom prices. If the fabric is piled high to the ceiling in my sewing room because of clearance prices, and the house floods or catches fire, or I get gravely ill, I won't feel the least bit happy about how much money I "saved" on that fabric.
Mandy, I can understand your perspective, but I view this sort of thread more along the lines of what does fabric cost where you are? OP asked about prices and cutting in Canada and metric as well.

We all have different budgets and differing fabric needs for different projects. If I was making charity quilts, very large quilts, I would have to be more mindful of costs. For small projects such as wall hangings or placemats I may splurge on a feature fabric, as the yardage is less.

Personally I ‘treat’ myself to fabric when travelling, in a way that I do not when I am at home.

I also find it interesting what the LQS prices are in different areas.

I am interested too that in some areas people find quilting fabric in thrift shops, I have only once found it in a thrift shop, but it was 150km from where I live, so not close enough to haunt regularly.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
... I think I have found a new site to purchase from. Quilting Twins. Smooth, silky fabric for $3.99 a yard. 108" wide backing for $6.95. Not as smooth as the other yardage, but nice enough. Some of the fabrics are older lines, but that doesn't bother me if I like it.
I just took a look there and ended up adding the site to my favorites.

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/

they have some interesting free patterns for scrap busting, too.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Those of you who live in Canada, are you quoting prices in Canadian dollars? That would bring them somewhat more in line with prices here.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 AM

I like Quiltingtwins. They bundle fabrics together and everything I have purchased has been great!
I am fairly cheap but end up buying every price range! I generally do buy from quilt shows and when out of town. I can’t change my mind and go back for it later so I get it!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM

My only problem with Quilting Twins is buying a full yard. I don't always need that. The bundles are cool. 17 coordinating half yards for $34 is the one I'm still drooling over. It hasn't made it to my cart yet. $5 shipping for a big package wasn't bad, either. Becky - the sewing twin, not the selling one, has hundreds of great scrap patterns. I like their Facebook site just to see her work. Interesting blog about her life in Poland, too.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Yes, in Canadian dollars. Depending on the province sales taxes ranging from 5% to 15% are added to the price at check out.

I am currently in Paris and will be visiting a quilt shop on Tuesday, I believe they cut 20cm minimum tax will be included. I will post what I find. Also precuts and quilting rulers are in inches, not cm. For fashion sewing we have metrics and imperial tape measures and patterns have both as well as French instructions.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Reasonable to me is that the store selling make a profit they can stay in business with. With internet there's many ways to buy fabric. There's also sales. Doesn't mean I'll buy at that price.

Get's down to supply and demand.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 AM

I wonder if there is a saturation point where the cost just gets too high and people back off from buying new fabric and become more resourceful, such as repurposing fabric, etc. I know I am doing that already.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Quilting Twins seems to be a good online shop. Most of the fabric and backings I see there are the same as Marshall's Dry Goods.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 AM

If you are ever visiting the Orlando area, go to a fabric store called Sewing Studio in Maitland. They have the most fantastic sale, 50% off of their fabrics area to choose from. Sometimes they will have multiple fabrics from the same line . And if you get there on a super good day they have just thined out their batiks. I have since moved to San Antonio, but every time I go back to visit that’s one of the first place and last places I go.