Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for Quiet, Quality, Small Simple Machine??? >

Recommendations for Quiet, Quality, Small Simple Machine???

Recommendations for Quiet, Quality, Small Simple Machine???

Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 PM

I just love the sound of my 401A, very quiet and has many stitches even without using the cams. When you do use the cams it gives you a few more, only problem is that it is not a lightweight unlike my 301A which only weighs about 16 pounds great for FMQ but no zigzag stitch. Absolutely beautiful straight stitch on both of them.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 PM

I love my little huskystar 224. it has all the recommendations you ask for. not computorized, for about $350.00
Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 AM

Another recommendation for the Janome Jem (UK spelling) - worth it's weight in gold and a great little workhorse !!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Singer 15 with a hand crank for quiet - a Singer 15 or 201 with a potted motor would be a little less quiet but fantastic machines.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:05 AM

Janome Jem is a computerized machine.

It's hard to find a non-computerized machine today. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:16 AM

Instead of a Featherweight, I bought the Kenmore equivalent, which is the Model 1040, because it also does zigzag stitches. It weighs 20 lbs. inside the lovely rose embossed case, isn't super quiet, but not really noisy either. I'd say it's just average on a noise scale. But the motor is stronger than that of a Featherweight, too. It's an all metal, no frills workhorse, easy to self oil and maintain.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebD800 View Post
I have a Juki 2010Q that I use 90% of the time for piecing but I occasionally need a zig zag stitch. Can anyone recommend something small and lightweight that's quiet and has just a few different stitches, including stitch length and width adjustments? I'd prefer a non-computerized machine; something that's intuitive to use and of good quality. I was looking at the Juki HZL 27/29Zs, but another member (thank you!) told me theirs was a good machine but loud - so I'm still looking.

TIA,
DebD800
I have several older singers and they sew very quiet and really good zig-zag, I too also think the heavier the machine the quieter because the machines are so heavy the do not vibrate near as much as the newer ones. But with that being said I do not have a high dollar sewing machine either. That too might make a difference. I love my 9 singers lol and I have a few more that are not singers but sews really well.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 AM

The most quiet delightful machine I have ever sewn on is a Featherweight. They can do the zig zags if you have the attachment but are set up as a straight stitch machine. I even have a 1/4" foot. The cost can be low (usually under $300 and sometimes only $100 or less) if you are willing to clean your own machine.

After my second back surgery I have a weight limit of 25# for the rest of my life--which I plan to be another 20-25 years! So I could take my own machine to classes I purchased a Singer Featherweight. Actually I bought three (a 1950 and two 1948's). I love them all. Since they are mechanical I can do all the maintenance on my own.

Just the other day I was piecing on my Viking Diamond and with every single patch I would think, "I wish I were sewing on my Featherweight". After about 6 pieces I realized all I had to do was set this little 11 pound beauty on the table and sew. They are simply a Joy! It is much quieter and smoother than the expensive machines by far.

Grammahunt
Old 01-31-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Instead of a Featherweight, I bought the Kenmore equivalent, which is the Model 1040, because it also does zigzag stitches. It weighs 20 lbs. inside the lovely rose embossed case, isn't super quiet, but not really noisy either. I'd say it's just average on a noise scale. But the motor is stronger than that of a Featherweight, too. It's an all metal, no frills workhorse, easy to self oil and maintain.
Good little machine, too.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 AM

I had this thought in mind last year when I went into a sewing machine store and asked for Quiet, Zig Zag, and Light--bought a Janome Sewist, and used it one time, then set it aside because I am so enamored with the work of my old Singers (FW, and 201, used almost daily); then last month decided I would give my Janome a "fair try" and attempted to do some piecing with it. Never again. It was so noisy that it gave me a headache. I figure because I have left it sitting for all these lonely months. It will be given to a grand kid for a birthday or Christmas soon--maybe a little too expensive for such ($350); but I won't be using it again, so I might as well. Beautiful stitches, nice wide zig zag if I wanted it, easily figured out 1/4" seam, no eating the beginning and ending pieces; just sayin'......