Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommended book for a beginner? >

Recommended book for a beginner?

Recommended book for a beginner?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
My go-to book is Better Homes and Gardens "Complete Guide to Quilting". It even has special instructions for south paws, practice grid sheets and is the best one I have run across.
this is my favorite go-to quilting book too.

also suggest looking at videos on YouTube and checking out www.nancyzieman.com. She does all kinds of things and her videos are free to watch. Same with Quilt in A day. All of Eleanor Burns are free to watch.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 AM

When I started quilting there were a few quilting shows on the public TV station.... usually Saturday morning. I would tape them and watch them over and over. I go to a craft day at my SIL's house about once a month and the ladies there are always saying that I know all the slick tricks. I learned them all watching those quilting shows..... look through your guide. Different cities have different offerings but I still watch the ones that are still being broadcast. There are always some good suggestions to help your quilting go better.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM

I really like Carol Doak's "Your First Quilt Book (or it should be)". After borrowing it from the library a few times, I finally went to Amazon and bought my own copy. Love it!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Wow, my Mom had a Necchi in 1958 that looked very much like this one. It was a great machine. I have Quilting For Dummys and it has a lot of information in it about every aspect of quilting.
I'm with Maureen - seeing this was a trip down memory lane with my dear Aunt Betty. Thank you for that memory.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Welcome from SW Arkansas. I love your pink sewing machine. I learned to sew when I had my first baby (51 years ago). I made her clothes and window curtains. Since then, I've made slipcovers, window treatments, more clothes and now learning to quilt. I think sewing is not only fun but also it allows you to customize your clothes and decorating style. Don't give up on it. You have come to the right place to get tons of help and encouragement. Looking forward to seeing your first project.